2017 Monster Energy Series Scorecard

DUN24

Skeptical of the Spectacle
This is a great resource I found on Reddit awhile back. I try and remember to post em over here after each race..I figure it's probably a good idea to just have a thread to update after each race.
*NOT MY SPREADSHEET

After Dover 1:
IMG_3275.PNG

I've never been able to keep track of the points system, I've always had to look for a published standing list. One point per position makes sense and I support rewards for consistency; the playoff points is new and I assume it is to balance the playoffs with season long performance. I'm not concerned about the points system, that's for the teams - I just enjoy watching races.

IMG_3288.PNG

Larson closes to within a point of the lead, Elliott up a couple spots, and Blaney locks himself in with a win! Good days!

^There's quite a few errors in the above spreadsheet, starting with the winners being shaded...

^There's quite a few errors in the above spreadsheet, starting with the winners being shaded...

Yeah I know. When he corrects it, I'll post an updated one.

Too bad that awesome 78 and 42 battle for the points lead will be wiped out come Richmond

How do the playoff points work?
They get to carry them thru each round. So say Truex for example carries 30 playoff points into round 1, he'd get to also start round 2 with the same 30 point advantage if he advances, and the same for round 3.

Imo it's the only good thing about the changes they made in the offseason. That and rewarding the regular season pts winner.

They get to carry them thru each round. So say Truex for example carries 30 playoff points into round 1, he'd get to also start round 2 with the same 30 point advantage if he advances, and the same for round 3.

Imo it's the only good thing about the changes they made in the offseason. That and rewarding the regular season pts winner.
Refreshing to read that someone gets those changes.

The race winners aren't shaded, it's the 16 drivers who, if the "regular season" ended today, would qualify to compete for the championship that are shaded.

I think . . .

The race winners aren't shaded, it's the 16 drivers who, if the "regular season" ended today, would qualify to compete for the championship that are shaded.

I think . . .

I think you're right. I know one thing.. they haven't edited it back to the way it was, and there are 16 shaded dudes so yeah.

I think . . .

I think you're right. I know one thing.. they haven't edited it back to the way it was, and there are 16 shaded dudes so yeah.

So Kenseth, in 13th place based upon points and within 10 points of being in the top 10, is bumped from the Chase by 20th place Austin Dillon, some 70 points behind Kenseth, due to the fact that Dillon has won a race. :eek:

So Kenseth, in 13th place based upon points and within 10 points of being in the top 10, is bumped from the Chase by 20th place Austin Dillon, some 70 points behind Kenseth, due to the fact that Dillon has won a race. :eek:
Yep...remember when everyone wanted wins to be more important than points racing?

Yeah, remember when Chris Buescher made the chase last year, for example?

Really easy way to think about making it in is that the Chase is just the top 16 drivers, picked first by number of wins then by number of points. If someone has 0 wins they are competing with all the other drivers with 0 wins, not those with a win.

This has all been the same since 2014.

It's really not that complicated, unless a person does not like change/the format...
No, not overly complicated. Just more so than it needs to be.

It does put more weight on regular season performance than we've ever had since the implementation of the Chase. That is something that many fans asked for.

No, not overly complicated. Just more so than it needs to be.

It does put more weight on regular season performance than we've ever had since the implementation of the Chase. That is something that many fans asked for.
Yeah, the stage points make things a bit messy, but it's still an upgrade from the 2014-2016 format IMO.

1st year I haven't put much stock in the points. I will when it starts to get down to it, but right now with all of the ways to get this or that, any driver with a couple of good weekends can move up pretty quickly, and of course if anybody gets a win there ya go.

IMG_3336.PNG
Larson extends his points lead and Stenhouse gives himself extra padding for the chlayoffs.

Here's another good chart from the same thread I get those scorecards from. Idk where it originally comes from.

IMG_3337.PNG

Nice thread. Stats are all that matter really

I suck at math but I love stats. And yeah.... tough to add gimmicks to stats, even if the stats are byproducts of gimmicks lol

It is getting tight at the bubble. If you are the 14, 20, and 22... You aren't having fun.
IMG_3411.PNG
IMG_3413.PNG

It is getting tight at the bubble. If you are the 14, 20, and 22... You aren't having fun.
Yeah, and of those three, Logano is trailing far behind the other two guys. Joey is capable of winning a race. Or, Joey could make in on points if Clint or Matt has serious misfortune. But his prospects don't look good at the moment. Thanks for posting this chart each week.

Yeah, and of those three, Logano is trailing far behind the other two guys. Joey is capable of winning a race. Or, Joey could make in on points if Clint or Matt has serious misfortune. But his prospects don't look good at the moment. Thanks for posting this chart each week.

Yeah, atleast the 14 and 20 have speed! Thanks!

Keep forgetting about Jmac. They are running great as well they've got just as good a shot as the others in regards to making it in on points.

I have to say, as convoluted as the points system is now, I do like the direction to reward consistency.

Now if only they made season winners finish in the top 15 in points rather than 30.

Back
Top Bottom