2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
I haven't seen any numbers yet from this past weekend's events. Have any of you? If so, post a link.

In the meantime, anyone have any predictions on this years television ratings? Do you think the downward trend will continue? Do you think Monster's entry into the sport will have and impact on the ratings?

I haven't seen any numbers yet from this past weekend's events. Have any of you? If so, post a link.

In the meantime, anyone have any predictions on this years television ratings? Do you think the downward trend will continue? Do you think Monster's entry into the sport will have and impact on the ratings?

I've been wondering the same thing.

I can't imagine the overall ratings trend will improve this year. There may be an initial spike for the first three or four races due to new rules/new title sponsor/Dale's return but I don't think that curiosity will hold and then the powers that be will start wringing their hands wondering which of the next 10 or 12 changes they will implement to "enhance the sport or fan experience."

That my two cents (and it may not even be worth that.)

Bye bye.

upload_2017-2-22_8-41-17.jpeg

I don't think Monster or the format change will make a difference whatsoever. Give it two years and they'll be trying something else.

Motorsports just do not appeal the way they used to in this ever increasing technology driven (literally) world we live in. And that's fine with me, it's still #1 in my book.

Apparently it's just a matter of time until these events are no longer televised.

Streaming media is the future so, even if NASCAR loses television coverage, which I don't see happening, they'll still have an audience.

The numbers I looked up recently were pretty dire though. Many of the primetime shows on The CW, which is about as niche as you can get, are getting higher ratings in the 18-49 demographic than many NASCAR races.

Last year marked the first time I can remember NASCAR drawing less than 3 million viewers for some races and if trends continue it is possible we could get a race under 2 million this year but I don't see that happening for another year.

Hopefully Monster can do a great job with cross promotion and get a younger demographic to the series so even if the numbers continue to slide the impact won't be as great.

There is nothing meaningful to learn from ratings numbers for a rained out exhibition race rescheduled for Sunday morning, IMO.

Last year marked the first time I can remember NASCAR drawing less than 3 million viewers for some races and if trends continue it is possible we could get a race under 2 million this year but I don't see that happening for another year.

Hopefully Monster can do a great job with cross promotion and get a younger demographic to the series so even if the numbers continue to slide the impact won't be as great.

In a couple years, we'll be surprised when a race other than Daytona or Homestead draws more than 2 million.

There is nothing meaningful to learn from ratings numbers for a rained out exhibition race rescheduled for Sunday morning, IMO.

I agree but I was shocked that only 15,000 showed up to see it in person.

In a couple years, we'll be surprised when a race other than Daytona or Homestead draws more than 2 million.

That could very well be the case. I will be interested in what the 500 ratings will be as they have taken a beating and are due for an uptick.

The Clash averaged 1.849 million viewers on FS1. Compared to 4.8 million last year on Fox. 5.61 million in 2015 on Fox) and 3.526 million in 2014, the last time it was on FS1.

The Clash averaged 1.849 million viewers on FS1. Compared to 4.8 million last year on Fox. 5.61 million in 2015 on Fox) and 3.526 million in 2014, the last time it was on FS1.
I will take it for a early race.

With the crowd they had for the Clash, wonder if it's not time to condense all the Daytona events into a Wednesday through Sunday type of schedule. Hard for people to be in Daytona for an entire week or so like it is currently.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/02/nascar-ratings-fox-daytona-qualifying-multi-year-lows/

NASCAR began a crucial season on a low note last weekend.

NASCAR Daytona 500 qualifying scored a 1.5 final rating and 2.4 million viewers on FOX last Sunday, down 29% in ratings and viewership from last year (1.7, 2.8M) and down 17% in both measures compared to 2015 (2.1, 3.4M).

It was the lowest rated Daytona 500 qualifying telecast since at least 1998, falling below the previous mark of 1.6 in 2010. It barely exceeded 2010 (2.40M to 2.36M) as the least-watched since at least 2001.

As recently as 2008, qualifying coverage had a 2.9 and 4.4 million.

In other action, the rescheduled The Clash at Daytona (previously the Sprint Unlimited and Budweiser Shootout) had a 1.2 and 1.8 million on Fox Sports 1 Sunday morning. Last year’s edition, which was run as scheduled on a Saturday night and aired on the FOX broadcast network, had a 2.8 and 4.8 million.

The % change is kinda funky but you get the point.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/02/nascar-ratings-fs1-duel-daytona-viewership-four-year-low/

For the second time in a week, Daytona 500 qualifying hit a multi-year low.

NASCAR’s Duel at Daytona scored 2.5 million viewers on Fox Sports 1 Thursday night, down 2% from last year (from 2.55M to 2.51M), down 17% from 2015 (3.0M), and the smallest audience for the event since it last aired in the afternoon four years ago (2.0M). Ratings were not immediately available.

Since hitting 3.1 million viewers for its primetime debut in 2014, the largest audience for the Duel since 2000, viewership has declined in each subsequent year.

Despite the lower numbers, the telecast earned a larger audience than the competing Knicks/Cavaliers NBA game on TNT (2.1M). It did trail the late night Clippers/Warriors matchup (2.6M) and ranked behind both NBA games in adults 18-49 (1.0 and 0.8 for the NBA, 0.6 for NASCAR).

The four-year low for Thursday’s Duel comes on the heels of a decade-plus low for last weekend’s Daytona qualifying coverage.

With the crowd they had for the Clash, wonder if it's not time to condense all the Daytona events into a Wednesday through Sunday type of schedule. Hard for people to be in Daytona for an entire week or so like it is currently.

Attendance at the clash was estimated at 15K and with viewership from home being so low condensing things into a shorter period may help.

Based on fan commentary on the websites that I've visited, most fans aren't happy with the new changes. I expect the downward trend to continue. None of the local fans that I've spoken to like it at all. Some are ex-local short track racers.

Attendance at the clash was estimated at 15K and with viewership from home being so low condensing things into a shorter period may help.

I'm thinking a schedule like this (totally at the top of my head):
Wednesday: Practice for both the Clash, Practice for 500 qualifying, and ARCA practice
Thursday: ARCA qualifying, 500 front row and duel lineup qualifying, the ARCA race and the Clash
Friday: Xfinity & Truck practices & qualifying, Duel practices, and the Truck race
Saturday: The Duels, Xfinity race, and 500 final practice
Sunday: The 500

I'm thinking a schedule like this (totally at the top of my head):
Wednesday: Practice for both the Clash, Practice for 500 qualifying, and ARCA practice
Thursday: ARCA qualifying, 500 front row and duel lineup qualifying, the ARCA race and the Clash
Friday: Xfinity & Truck practices & qualifying, Duel practices, and the Truck race
Saturday: The Duels, Xfinity race, and 500 final practice
Sunday: The 500

Sounds like a good plan as more people would be able to use less time and see more action.

I honestly thought it was a good race. Best Daytona 500 in many years. Yes the wreckfest took a little away from it. But it was very competitive all the way through. Very refreshing to see some different faces up front, and watching the young guns like Blaney and Elliott being aggressive going for the win.

well well...rumours of NASCAR's death have widely exaggerated

Back
Top Bottom