2018: All Things Rockets ,Space, and Astronomy

Hotrod

2022 RFFL Champion
Highly recommend checking into http://www.spacex.com/webcast about
1pm EST and checking out the Falcon Heavy demonstration mission sending
Alon Musks Tesla Red Roadster to the red planet Mars. Blast off scheduled for around
1:30p.m. EST.

Attempting to land back to earth all 3 boosters. 2 on land , one at sea.

Really good mission animation here:

Reactions: Pat
T-0 delayed to 2:20pm EST due to upper wind shear. (SpaceX twitter)

It interrupted programming on the Science channel. I was standing in front of the TV asking it this for real??? Very exciting test launch. I can't believe the boosters landed upright on the pad. Wow wow Wow

It interrupted programming on the Science channel. I was standing in front of the TV asking it this for real??? Very exciting test launch. I can't believe the boosters landed upright on the pad. Wow wow Wow
Nice to know you understand Pat , Cheers !

I just watched the video, pretty damn awesome, amazing what the private sector can do. The boosters landing together back on the pad, was really spectacular. It is so cool Musk's roadster is going to Mars and they have a live feed camera of Starman in the car.

I believe that if 1/2 the money over the years and years guzzled up by NASA had been used in funding the private sector, we would have a hotel on the moon for vacations by now and be launching deep space craft from the moon also. JMHO

BTW the Saturn 5 Rockets were awe inspiring as well. I saw several of the moon launches from a causeway 8 miles away from the pad and it lit the night up like a brown tented daylight and in a few seconds the sound was unbelievable. Shame we stopped using it. It was capable of everything from low earth orbit to escape velocity, depending on how many stages were used at launch.

When you’re so rich that you’ve experienced all things worldly what else is there to do but send an electric car to another planet?
I’d like to see the list of things he’s simply blown money on.

I just watched the video, pretty damn awesome, amazing what the private sector can do. The boosters landing together back on the pad, was really spectacular. It is so cool Musk's roadster is going to Mars and they have a live feed camera of Starman in the car.

I believe that if 1/2 the money over the years and years guzzled up by NASA had been used in funding the private sector, we would have a hotel on the moon for vacations by now and be launching deep space craft from the moon also. JMHO

BTW the Saturn 5 Rockets were awe inspiring as well. I saw several of the moon launches from a causeway 8 miles away from the pad and it lit the night up like a brown tented daylight and in a few seconds the sound was unbelievable. Shame we stopped using it. It was capable of everything from low earth orbit to escape velocity, depending on how many stages were used at launch.
I think you are so fortunate to be able to watch a live launch. :)

I’ve always been fascinated by anything/everything space related after having grown up in the Apollo era. Today’s launch was spectacular. Watching those rocket boosters land defies all logic. I feel like I’m witnessing something that isn’t real or simply video being played in reverse.

I’ve always been fascinated by anything/everything space related after having grown up in the Apollo era. Today’s launch was spectacular. Watching those rocket boosters land defies all logic. I feel like I’m witnessing something that isn’t real or simply video being played in reverse.

Me to.

When you’re so rich that you’ve experienced all things worldly what else is there to do but send an electric car to another planet?
I’d like to see the list of things he’s simply blown money on.

I think it was more of sending some kind of payload on this test launch. Just happens to be one of his electric cars and BTW, you can bet the car was figured into the cost of the whole program to get this big boy off the ground. You get "Musk" rich on OPM (Other Peoples Money) your tax dollars paid for most of today's launch.

Then again Musk may be getting a head start on a car dealership on Mars. :idunno: :lol2: :salute:

I think it was more of sending some kind of payload on this test launch. Just happens to be one of his electric cars and BTW, you can bet the car was figured into the cost of the whole program to get this big boy off the ground. You get "Musk" rich on OPM (Other Peoples Money) your tax dollars paid for most of today's launch.

Then again Musk may be getting a head start on a car dealership on Mars. :idunno: :lol2: :salute:
News was on in the work truck today and I recall something about Bowie’s Space Oddity being played at the launch or on the Tesla radio?

Personally, I will be glad when we, the USA, can send and retrieve our astronauts and supplies from the space station without any assistance from another country.
I don’t mind a global effort and participation. Our space program was more or less shut down a few years back. Glad we rebounded.

I've following that..... literately. I'm keeping an eye on the tracking but it never comes in eyesight range of the east coast. I just wanted to see the damn thing before it reenters the earths atmosphere in a ball of fire.
You should get a chance. It is supposed to last a few months before it falls back to earth.

You should get a chance. It is supposed to last a few months before it falls back to earth.
Yeah, I'll have to remember to keep an eye out for it. The only time it seems to comer over my viewing area is during the day making it impossible to see.

Years ago, a good friend of mine told me about watching the space station fly overhead. He game me a link to a satellite tracking site, long since lost, that you could plug in the object you were looking for along with your street address. It would tell you right down to the second when/where it would appear in the night sky. We used it many times without fail. You could look years into the future to know its scheduled crossing. I still find that amazing.

Occasionally, when sitting outside on summer evenings, we sky watch for random satellites. We live in a pretty rural area that isn't polluted by lighting at night. It's not unusual to see dozens over the course of an evening. There is an unbelievable amount of satellites crossing our skys night/day.

Yeah, I'll have to remember to keep an eye out for it. The only time it seems to comer over my viewing area is during the day making it impossible to see.

Years ago, a good friend of mine told me about watching the space station fly overhead. He game me a link to a satellite tracking site, long since lost, that you could plug in the object you were looking for along with your street address. It would tell you right down to the second when/where it would appear in the night sky. We used it many times without fail. You could look years into the future to know its scheduled crossing. I still find that amazing.

Occasionally, when sitting outside on summer evenings, we sky watch for random satellites. We live in a pretty rural area that isn't polluted by lighting at night. It's not unusual to see dozens over the course of an evening. There is an unbelievable amount of satellites crossing our skys night/day.
I enjoy star gazing too. My nephew and I loved to watch the space station cross the night sky by the fire pit in rural San Diego.

Back
Top Bottom