Contributor
THE RACE: Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Race

TRACK
: Bristol Motor Speedway

Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Race #24 of 36

Date: Saturday, August 18th, 2018, Bristol, Tennessee

Scheduled Green Flag (approx): 7:45 pm/et
=======================================

NBC has gone nuts with the NBC Sports APP. Jayski doesn't list them but I'll post them whenever they're put up.

Thursday, August 16

9:00 AM, NCWTS Bristol practice, FS1
11:00 AM, NCWTS Bristol final practice, FS1
4:00 PM, NCWTS Bristol qualifying, FS1
8:00 PM, NASCAR RaceDay, NCWTS, FOX
8:30 PM, NCWTS Bristol race, FOX

Friday, August 17
10:30 AM, MENCS Bristol practice, NBCSN
12:30 PM, MENCS Bristol final practice, NBCSN
3:30 PM, NXS Bristol practice, NBCSN
5:30 PM, MENCS Bristol qualifying, NBCSN
7:00 PM, NXS Countdown to Green, NBCSN
7:30 PM, NXS Bristol race, NBCSN
9:30 PM, NXS Post Race, NBCSN
Saturday, August 18
7:00 PM, MENCS Countdown to Green, NBCSN
7:30 PM, MENCS Bristol race, NBCSN
11:00 PM, MENCS Post Race, NBCSN

I hate to get all nostalgic but do yourself a favor and watch the first 30 or seconds of this video. If you're a NASCAR fan the hair on your neck will stand up when they start playing "Start Me Up" By The Stones. To be in that moment, at that time...the energy in "Thunder Valley" was incredible...

Last edited:
I hate to get all nostalgic but do yourself a favor and watch the first 30 or seconds of this video. If you're a NASCAR fan the hair on your neck will stand up when they start playing "Start Me Up" By The Stones. To be in that moment, at that time...the energy in "Thunder Valley" was incredible...

Now I want to watch the rest of that race....many races now you just don’t feel that excitement at the beginning of it like in that video. And the fans actually showed up. 90’s Bristol was legit

Now I want to watch the rest of that race....many races now you just don’t feel that excitement at the beginning of it like in that video. And the fans actually showed up. 90’s Bristol was legit
Bristol was legit until 07. I went to the first reconfiguration race that year when I was 12 years old and it wasn't the best. Carl Edwards waxed the field that night. It was like 98 degrees still at 8:00 when the race started. If this year's night race is anything like the spring race, I may have to go back next year.

The weekend APP Schedule.

THURSDAY, AUG. 16
10:05-10:55 a.m.: NASCAR Xfinity Series first practice, NBC Sports App
1:35-2:25 p.m.: NASCAR Xfinity Series final practice, NBC Sports App

FRIDAY, AUG. 17
10:35-11:55 a.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series first practice,NBC Sports App
12:40-1:50 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series final practice, NBC Sports App
3:40 p.m.: NASCAR Xfinity Series pole qualifying, NBC Sports App
5:40 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Busch Pole Qualifying, NBC Sports App
7:30 p.m.: NASCAR Xfinity Series Food City 300 (300 laps, 159.9 miles), NBC Sports App

SATURDAY, AUG. 18
7:30 p.m.: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Race (500 laps, 266.5 miles), NBC Sports App

Notice how the announcers didn't say a word for a full minute after the green flag flew.

Can't imagine that we'll be that fortunate this weekend.

This was the beginning of the end, cars started to take that twisted sister look. Not overtly yet...the competition was still using factory decks, roofs, and hoods, but they allowed tweeks to the Chevy's since they did not have any real cars to use as examples of street cars. Ford still had the Thunderbird...they could almost use the factory body as is...

Notice how the announcers didn't say a word for a full minute after the green flag flew.

Can't imagine that we'll be that fortunate this weekend.

Allen: GREEN FLAG IN THE AIR!! CoMiNG Up ThRu Da GeArS!!

*Cars exit turn 2 onto the backstretch*

Allen: KYLE BUSCH TAKES THEM 3 WIDE!!

Burton: KYLE CAN RACE THAT WAY CAUSE HE HAS 6 WINS! HE CAN BE AGGRESSIVE AND TAKE CHANCE GOING FOR THE WIN! HE’S NOT WORRIED ABOUT STAGE POINTS THATS WHAT THIS STAGE RACING HAS DONE! EVERY POSITION MATTERS AND WINNING MATTERS MORE THAN EVER!

*Cars come around to complete lap 3*

This was the beginning of the end, cars started to take that twisted sister look. Not overtly yet...the competition was still using factory decks, roofs, and hoods, but they allowed tweeks to the Chevy's since they did not have any real cars to use as examples of street cars. Ford still had the Thunderbird...they could almost use the factory body as is...
That's an opinion. My opinion is quite different. Personally, I can't imagine anything so boring as showroom stock racing on ovals with Detroit land yachts from the 1970's, 80's, and 90's. You evolve or you become a fossil. I think evolution is pretty cool...

Evolution Flounder.jpg
Evolution Twisted Sister.jpg

I do believe Nascar should dial back the side force, but not by some futile attempt to turn the calendar back to some point in ancient history. Just my $0.02.

I have studied that photo a lot, but today I saw the rear spoiler for the first time and took a good look at that instead of the rest of it's twisted up self.

and today a piece of tape on top of the spoiler cost ya 25 thousand bucks. :D my how things have changed.

The two years where the cars drastically changed imo was 1988 and 1989. 1988 saw the introduction of the "small body" Pontiacs, Buicks and Olds. 1989 was the year Ford introduced a completely redesigned Thunderbird (which I think still looks like most of the cars today) and the front wheel drive Lumina for the 1st Talladega race.

I firmly believe the 1989 Ford Thunderbird would be competitive in today's NASCAR with a few minor tweaks.
032607bc010.jpg

The two years where the cars drastically changed imo was 1988 and 1989. 1988 saw the introduction of the "small body" Pontiacs, Buicks and Olds. 1989 was the year Ford introduced a completely redesigned Thunderbird (which I think still looks like most of the cars today) and the front wheel drive Lumina for the 1st Talladega race.

I firmly believe the 1989 Ford Thunderbird would be competitive in today's NASCAR with a few minor tweaks.
032607bc010.jpg
Note the spoilers. The more you laid that blade back the faster you went.

There was a race in 1995 that used the original Tom Petty version at the beginning of a broadcast once. I don't remember which race it was but I believe it was in the second half of the season

Correction...the total rip-off cover version of "Runnin Down a Dream"
I dont think it’s a bad cover. Infinitely better than bringin back the sunshine IMO.

Any song played ad nauseam gets tiresome.

Back
Top Bottom