NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

Sorry about my luck? Do tell! Talladega is a very good race for Nascar as it had 9 million viewers in 2008 and close to 7.5 million in 2013 and last year raked in to 6 million viewers. This could be the first race of the year with increased YoY ratings which is exciting to consider.
Will still carry the weekend. Sorry Charlie.

Will still carry the weekend. Sorry Charlie.

Wait until next week as Talladega is going to carry the weekend in a mighty way. It doesn't matter if Nascar gains or loses market share as long as they are the number 1 rated auto racing event of the week. IDK who made up those rules but Nascar can't lose.

Wait until next week as Talladega is going to carry the weekend in a mighty way. It doesn't matter if Nascar gains or loses market share as long as they are the number 1 rated auto racing event of the week. IDK who made up those rules but Nascar can't lose.
Its not going away, but you can watch the PBA quarterfinals this weekend, its more your speed.

2a5c20a8-197e-4e67-a94c-8b54f00ae7da.gif

Its not going away, but you can watch the PBA quarterfinals this weekend, its more your speed.
Gonna be great to see some packed stands and hopefully a first time winner or someone that doesn't win often. I don't know how much of the race I will get to see but we all know it will be very popular and the possibility exists this could be the most watched race until Daytona next year. Good stuff I tell ya!
I wouldnt really care if NASCAR was #5. The racing is good and still draws audiences in the millions and will continue to be shown on TV. So carry on your losing battle.
I don't think there are any battles going on as Nascar's ratings are tabulated without prejudice and there is not much of anything an individual can do to change them. I think you could have a battle if you were arguing who the GOAT is or things of that nature. Some people laugh derisively about Nascar's ratings, some see them as a source of amusement and others are very protective and it is either important to show them in a good light or pretend they don't matter. It is all good.

Gonna be great to see some packed stands and hopefully a first time winner or someone that doesn't win often. I don't know how much of the race I will get to see but we all know it will be very popular and the possibility exists this could be the most watched race until Daytona next year. Good stuff I tell ya!

I don't think there are any battles going on as Nascar's ratings are tabulated without prejudice and there is not much of anything an individual can do to change them. I think you could have a battle if you were arguing who the GOAT is or things of that nature. Some people laugh derisively about Nascar's ratings, some see them as a source of amusement and others are very protective and it is either important to show them in a good light or pretend they don't matter. It is all good.
The thread is about television ratings ... not about the posters who comment on them.

I wouldnt really care if NASCAR was #5. The racing is good and still draws audiences in the millions and will continue to be shown on TV. So carry on your losing battle.

Losing battle? What? :rolleyes:

I am attempting to point out the obvious. NASCAR has big issues. Those issues need to be addressed without all the excuses and spin if the sport is to stay relative and viable in the future. That concept seems to make several posters on the boards uncomfortable. Why? Broken down to its simplest level, it means that there will have to be change. Change always makes people uncomfortable.

I was watching a program telling us what is wrong with Nascar as far as the racing goes. It seems that much of what has been said on here over the years was also part of the reasons given on this program. It makes you wonder why Nascar keeps going in the same direction even when it is failing the fans both at the track and the TV viewers.
It seems the first idea thrown on the table at every meeting is the one they run with even if it has shown to be wrong. Over the last 5 or so years, it seems they just hire more people and of course their main objective is to increase today's profits even when they know it will do harm to the sport in the future. It took years to get rid of the COT thinking and they really haven't improved anything since. They come up with a quick fix and the engineers figure away around so that it negates the fix.
There are only two things that will help, one of the main fixes is to send cars home that can't pass the inspection on the second try. Fines and small penalties have done nothing to correct the thinking of car chiefs and CC to some degree.
The second biggest change is the monitory fines. Sending a car home is the biggest fine because the sponsor is now pissed. MWR fines cured that organizations cheating and it will do the same for all the others. The small teams (who are not a real problem) but HMS, JGR, Penski and RCR will sit up and take notice when the fines start at $500,000. and go up from there. Ten race suspensions for any car chief that unloads a car that is intentionally outside the bounds of the inspection by a certain percentage.
Drivers should not be deducted points based on the decisions of the team or their mistakes
however the penalties for their actions should be increased. Staying out on a flat tire hoping for a caution and then causing a delay of the race should be held in the pits for a minimum of 5 laps. The penalty must be greater than what happens if he pits for repairs. Drivers intentionally causing an accident in retaliation ( see Matt K and Jeff G.) should receive a 5 race suspension for both that driver and his car on the first offence and all penalties carry over to the next season.
All this does is slow the games played so now what about the car? There have been so many changes since DE died that drivers have no real fear any more. Nascar has to take a step backwards and bring the danger aspect of racing back. I say let the cars fly if need be. I don't remember any driver dying because of barrel rolls, flip overs ( See Rusty Wallace replays). It has always been the sudden stop of the car that has killed people.
If you want Nascar to become popular again bring back the danger that goes with it, just don't kill them doing it. With all the safety devices and soft walls today it would be hard to kill a driver but injury and pain will teach them to be better drivers. Fear is a great teacher.

Backing down off my rant stool.:angel2:

I was watching a program telling us what is wrong with Nascar as far as the racing goes. It seems that much of what has been said on here over the years was also part of the reasons given on this program. It makes you wonder why Nascar keeps going in the same direction even when it is failing the fans both at the track and the TV viewers.
It seems the first idea thrown on the table at every meeting is the one they run with even if it has shown to be wrong. Over the last 5 or so years, it seems they just hire more people and of course their main objective is to increase today's profits even when they know it will do harm to the sport in the future. It took years to get rid of the COT thinking and they really haven't improved anything since. They come up with a quick fix and the engineers figure away around so that it negates the fix.
There are only two things that will help, one of the main fixes is to send cars home that can't pass the inspection on the second try. Fines and small penalties have done nothing to correct the thinking of car chiefs and CC to some degree.
The second biggest change is the monitory fines. Sending a car home is the biggest fine because the sponsor is now pissed. MWR fines cured that organizations cheating and it will do the same for all the others. The small teams (who are not a real problem) but HMS, JGR, Penski and RCR will sit up and take notice when the fines start at $500,000. and go up from there. Ten race suspensions for any car chief that unloads a car that is intentionally outside the bounds of the inspection by a certain percentage.
Drivers should not be deducted points based on the decisions of the team or their mistakes
however the penalties for their actions should be increased. Staying out on a flat tire hoping for a caution and then causing a delay of the race should be held in the pits for a minimum of 5 laps. The penalty must be greater than what happens if he pits for repairs. Drivers intentionally causing an accident in retaliation ( see Matt K and Jeff G.) should receive a 5 race suspension for both that driver and his car on the first offence and all penalties carry over to the next season.
All this does is slow the games played so now what about the car? There have been so many changes since DE died that drivers have no real fear any more. Nascar has to take a step backwards and bring the danger aspect of racing back. I say let the cars fly if need be. I don't remember any driver dying because of barrel rolls, flip overs ( See Rusty Wallace replays). It has always been the sudden stop of the car that has killed people.
If you want Nascar to become popular again bring back the danger that goes with it, just don't kill them doing it. With all the safety devices and soft walls today it would be hard to kill a driver but injury and pain will teach them to be better drivers. Fear is a great teacher.

Backing down off my rant stool.:angel2:

Some times my brain kicks in and I say things that need to be said. Other times I can sit back and read the whiners who can"t look for solutions. In the business world money talks the loudest and every team is a business.

I think that the perceived danger of plate racing and the fact that the cars are glued together contribute to the relative good TV ratings they get. There could easily be 6 million plus watching Talladega

I think that the perceived danger of plate racing and the fact that the cars are glued together contribute to the relative good TV ratings they get. There could easily be 6 million plus watching Talladega

The plate races have been declining in viewership at least as much or more in recent years as the bulk of the schedule. Last spring's Talladega race posted a nearly unprecedented low. Obviously the sheer size, spectacle, and history of Daytona and Talladega give them more broad appeal than many tracks, plates or no plates. The Brickyard 400 also draws larger TV ratings than most, despite continually being viewed as an unpopular race.

If you like plate racing, obviously we disagree, but that is fine. You seem unusually sympathetic to it though, given your overall cynicism about NASCAR viewership trends.

The plate races have been declining in viewership at least as much or more in recent years as the bulk of the schedule. Last spring's Talladega race posted a nearly unprecedented low. Obviously the sheer size, spectacle, and history of Daytona and Talladega give them more broad appeal than many tracks, plates or no plates. The Brickyard 400 also draws larger TV ratings than most, despite continually being viewed as an unpopular race.

If you like plate racing, obviously we disagree, but that is fine. You seem unusually sympathetic to it though, given your overall cynicism about NASCAR viewership trends.

That isn't true, Only the first Talladega race last year had a pretty steep decline, the others were good. Over 23 million tuning in for Daytona with an average of 12 million

The Spring Talladega weekend is one of the most viewed of the season. The Cup race was 4th best in 2017 (behind the season's first 3 races, Daytona, Atlanta, Vegas). The Xfinity race was the 3rd best of 2017 (behind the season-opening race at Daytona & Road America). This weekend usually does pretty well.

That isn't true, Only the first Talladega race last year had a pretty steep decline, the others were good. Over 23 million tuning in for Daytona with an average of 12 million

The Daytona 500 will always be the biggest race of the season. They could run it on dirt and it would be. On a percentage basis, its ratings for the past two years have been down as much or more than the season as a whole. Agreed on the Talladega spring race, that is why I mentioned it, along with it being this weekend.

My disagreement with Atomic is about his perspective that "plate racing" is holding up so much better than everything else. I cited strong ratings for Indy, which most believe is a terrible race (I don't) as evidence that history and prestige are more important to TV ratings than the on-track product.

The Spring Talladega weekend is one of the most viewed of the season. The Cup race was 4th best in 2017 (behind the season's first 3 races, Daytona, Atlanta, Vegas). The Xfinity race was the 3rd best of 2017 (behind the season-opening race at Daytona & Road America). This weekend usually does pretty well.
the fall was even higher, the plates have always done well.

The NASCAR Cup Series playoffs from Talladega (Ala.) earned a 2.8 rating and 4.7 million viewers on NBC.

NASCAR Cup Series racing from Talladega (Ala.) earned a 3.5 final rating and 5.9 million viewers on FOX Sunday afternoon.

Yep, looks like the Fall had many more viewers. The Fall race had 4.7 million viewers, up from 5.9 million in the Spring.

The NASCAR Cup Series playoffs from Talladega (Ala.) earned a 2.8 rating and 4.7 million viewers on NBC.

NASCAR Cup Series racing from Talladega (Ala.) earned a 3.5 final rating and 5.9 million viewers on FOX Sunday afternoon.

Yep, looks like the Fall had many more viewers. The Fall race had 4.7 million viewers, up from 5.9 million in the Spring.
yeah I was looking at the ratings, they were lower in the spring for the preceding year last, while the fall race ratings number were higher than the preceding year. Gnomesaying the ratings for plated racing were declining as much or more then other races.

Gnomesaying the ratings for plated racing were declining as much or more then other races.

It appears that I can rely on the percentage declines for the Daytona 500 and Talladega spring race to prove my point, that they are as great or greater than the season as a whole, and you can rely on the Coke 400 (down slightly) and Talladega fall (up slightly) to bolster yours. We're both right and things are complicated.

My foremost point is:

2017 Talladega spring: 5.9 million viewers
2017 Brickyard 400: 5.6 million
2017 Coke 400: 5.4 million
2017 Talladega fall: 4.7 million

Maybe it's the size and legacy of these tracks that draw increased attention, which they all share. They don't all share plates, at least not yet.

If nothing else, the Indy ratings obliterate the notion that people only tune in for pack racing and perceptions of death-defying.

Last edited:

Plate racing is not my cup of tea but I know that the 4 plate races are fairly popular compared to other tracks. Of course all Nascar races are on the wane with respect to viewership and this includes plate tracks.

yeah I was looking at the ratings, they were lower in the spring for the preceding year last, while the fall race ratings number were higher than the preceding year. Gnomesaying the ratings for plated racing were declining as much or more then other races.
Fall Talladega was on cable (ESPN/NBCSN) 2010-2016, then jumped back to NBC last year. So last year's race is an anomaly, at least until it airs on NBC again later this season.

FWIW - I think the idea that plates generate more interest and the brand/allure of Daytona and Talladega itself generates more interest don't have to be mutually exclusive. If they somehow managed to take the plates off and spread cars apart more I would think ratings would drop, but would still be higher than just about everything else on the calendar.

Perspective is important as Talladega and Homestead dwarfed all the other chase races last year. The plate tracks do much better than short tracks and road courses but many people pine away for more races at tracks like that.

Unfortunately, the lure of the "big one" is the attraction of the plate tracks to the casuals....and it didn't hurt the sport's most popular drivers the last 25 years (the Earnhardts) enjoyed their most success on them. But plate races always do well, and so do the "event" races, like the Daytona 500 and the Brickyard.

I agree that there are valid points being made from various sides and perspectives. What bugs me is attributing Daytona's and Talladega's popularity solely to "plates" and pack racing, and implying that transplanting that to other less noteworthy venues would lead to sure gains. I don't see much if any evidence of that, and I think I've cited credible evidence to the contrary.

Unfortunately, the lure of the "big one" is the attraction of the plate tracks to the casuals....and it didn't hurt the sport's most popular drivers the last 25 years (the Earnhardts) enjoyed their most success on them. But plate races always do well, and so do the "event" races, like the Daytona 500 and the Brickyard.
Good points. I can't say I know anyone any longer like this but 10-20 years ago I knew people who specifically tuned into plate races because they loved the spectacle of a bunch of wadded up cars. I don't think anyone wanted to see anyone get hurt but they were treating it more like a spontaneous demo derby. My guess is that there are still people that watch plate races in the hopes they can see cars barrel roll, ride the fence or land on top of another car.
I agree that there are valid points being made from various sides and perspectives. What bugs me is attributing Daytona's and Talladega's popularity solely to "plates" and pack racing, and implying that transplanting that to other less noteworthy venues would lead to sure gains. I don't see much if any evidence of that, and I think I've cited credible evidence to the contrary.
I don't like plates at Daytona and Talladega and am strongly against their use at any other tracks. I have no interest in seeing the ASR with plates and to the people that say it may produce good racing I say it is impossible as it is fake. I would rather see a guy check out on the field.

from sportsmediawatch.com

NASCAR Ties Broadcast Network Low at Richmond
NASCAR ratings tied a broadcast network low over the weekend.

Saturday’s NASCAR Cup Series Richmond 400 earned a 1.8 rating and 3.0 million viewers on FOX, down 38% in ratings and 34% in viewership from last year (2.9, 4.6M) and down 42% and 36% respectively from 2016 (3.1, 4.7M).

Compared to the last time the race was run on a Saturday night, 2014, ratings fell 45% (from 3.3) and viewership 46% (from 5.6M).

Excluding rainouts, the 1.8 rating is tied as the lowest for any Cup Series race on broadcast television since at least 2000.
-----------------------------

Saturday’s NASCAR Cup Series Richmond 400 earned a 1.8 rating and 3.0 million viewers on FOX, down 38% in ratings and 34% in viewership from last year (2.9, 4.6M) and down 42% and 36% respectively from 2016 (3.1, 4.7M).

Compared to the last time the race was run on a Saturday night, 2014, ratings fell 45% (from 3.3) and viewership 46% (from 5.6M).

Excluding rainouts, the 1.8 rating is tied as the lowest for any Cup Series race on broadcast television since at least 2000.

According to the ratings mavens here it doesn't matter how low they go. The conventional wisdom is that as long as Nascar is the number 1 rated auto series in the nation it doesn't matter if 500,000 people watch and 10,000 show up at the track as it will always business as usual. I am not saying this group is right or wrong as all I know about ratings is the actual number and how the group is broken down demographically. To the best of my knowledge the most desired group falls between 18-34 but that may have changed as I don't follow that sort of thing closely.

I have not seen "the ratings don't matter" idea validated by any experts and in most respects it is not surprising as normally the more popular the more you are rewarded and vice versa.

A 46% fall?
oh-my-god-wow-GIF-downsized_large.gif

According to the ratings mavens here it doesn't matter how low they go. The conventional wisdom is that as long as Nascar is the number 1 rated auto series in the nation it doesn't matter if 500,000 people watch and 10,000 show up at the track as it will always business as usual. I am not saying this group is right or wrong as all I know about ratings is the actual number and how the group is broken down demographically. To the best of my knowledge the most desired group falls between 18-34 but that may have changed as I don't follow that sort of thing closely.

I have not seen "the ratings don't matter" idea validated by any experts and in most respects it is not surprising as normally the more popular the more you are rewarded and vice versa.
I never know which thread I’m in.

I guess this is officially a lost season, tv ratings wise. I think Jr retiring is hurting more than I thought it would.

Back
Top Bottom