NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

Yep, and showing it on NBC.
I know you are disappointed at the stronger ratings this week. Last year's race was on NBC as well. I would think Nascar ratings are plenty weak enough to satisfy those who relish such things ... but I guess not.

They had been advertising all week, that this race would be a crashfest. Apparently that's what fans want, and why so many tuned in.

I know you are disappointed at the stronger ratings this week. Last year's race was on NBC as well. I would think Nascar ratings are plenty weak enough to satisfy those who relish such things ... but I guess not.

Relish? Nope, not at all. I use the decline to show that the sport has serious issues and has had them for over a decade. The fan base and those that run the sport have chosen to ignore it until recently.

They had been advertising all week, that this race would be a crashfest. Apparently that's what fans want, and why so many tuned in.

LOL, that's an interesting comment. The race had lack luster results for the amount of advertising and the fact that it was a new format that the drivers had been talking up for almost a month.

I drove 700 miles one way and stayed 4 nights, was at the track Friday, Saturday and Sunday to see all this event, why, because, I had great seats, I am very entertained by Nascar, it sounded like it was going to be something new and different at Charlotte and boy oh boy was it. I have been to 15 Coke 600's at Charlotte, One Allstar race and two fall 500 races, but, have not been there in years, this was a first time event, (that went great) and I wanted to see it live.
As soon as I heard about this event last year, I was on the phone to Charlotte Motor Speedway to get ticket for my wife and I. Would I do it again, Hell Yeah! :punkrocke

Considering NASCAR normally gets declines of around 20% in viewership each week a 10% gain for the Roval is very good. I am aware that this is an anomaly and that things will return to normal for the rest of the year.

5 years ago was when the new TV deals were signed. Some of these figures have been cut in half since then. I have to wonder how the NBC execs are feeling about this.
What can you really expect from a new cable only channel??? To make matters worse
Nascar is covered by 2 cable only channels. It was a heck of a gamble but the writing was on the wall before this contract. This deal made it the final straw for many who were contemplating on doing something different with the family expendable income. IMO
I sure would like to see the numbers for TSN who has the broadcast rights for Canada.

What can you really expect from a new cable only channel??? To make matters worse
Nascar is covered by 2 cable only channels. It was a heck of a gamble but the writing was on the wall before this contract. This deal made it the final straw for many who were contemplating on doing something different with the family expendable income. IMO
I sure would like to see the numbers for TSN who has the broadcast rights for Canada.

most of the comments posted here are just trying to stir up fear ****, the TV deal isn't over for 5 or 6 more years. Other racing series have been renewed recently with fractional numbers in comparison to Nascar, and some series are broadcasting highlights of their events free on YouTube with good result and other forms of internet or social media. Some have full season internet broadcasts for reasonable fees. The Pinty's series races are available free on YouTube for folks who have the bandwidth and they have a good crowd and a great broadcasting crew, much better then we have with the NBC crew here in the states. I do feel sorry for the Canadian's who have to deal with a monopoly of the internet I believe and cell phone service that doles out small morsels of data like it is the last drop of water in the desert. I am more in fear of that, a real fear, than how many people watch Nascar and I do my best to sign up for every petition I can. Much better way to go for me than quacking about TV ratings in Nascar.

Obviously a true 10% increase on the same network, compared to an average 15+% decline this season as a baseline, is a clear positive result. There is no remotely convincing way to spin it otherwise.

Bandit / Punk was a much better troll. There was at least a grain of truth in most posts.

The increase from Charlotte is good and to me indicates that people will tune in for something different. It won't be different forever of course but a win is a win and I thoroughly enjoyed the race. I would like to see them do it again on Memorial Day.

Reactions: sdj
It was the novelty of a first race that boosted the ratings. Just like the first year they raced at Eldora.

Yep. Glad to see that NASCAR is attempting to "fix" issues with the ratings and owner costs with the new rules. While I applaud them for doing it, and if we see more crashes, I hope they put more people and equipment at the tracks to clear the wrecks quicker. Lengthening races times with long outages, and commentator's yapping isn't going to draw viewers to your show.

I wished the tv commentators would quit announcing a race like no one has ever watched a race. I’d figure with the internet and google, if an individual was new to NASCAR and had further interest into the fine tunings of the sport, they’d search for it after the first six races of the season. Sometimes it’s nice to mute the tv and have mrn/prn blasting on the radio.

This is the proof of what I have always said. NASCAR has become stale. Same cars, same drivers and especially same TRACKS year after year.

Every time there is something different, that creates excitement ratings go up. It's quite simple actually.

Add some dirt tracks (Knoxville and Eldora) to the schedule. Add some real short track (Toledo, Bowman Gray Stadium, hickory speedway). Let them run at Road America. Do something different for God's sake!

Enough with "more of the same"!

the king of 20/20 hindsight :D where is the week old dramatic paragraph post from Carp going back 20 years. Nascar only got one line this week..no drama.

This is the proof of what I have always said. NASCAR has become stale. Same cars, same drivers and especially same TRACKS year after year.

Every time there is something different, that creates excitement ratings go up. It's quite simple actually.

Add some dirt tracks (Knoxville and Eldora) to the schedule. Add some real short track (Toledo, Bowman Gray Stadium, hickory speedway). Let them run at Road America. Do something different for God's sake!

Enough with "more of the same"!

The only problem is that things are only new for a short period of time and then something new has to be found and so on and so on. I have nothing against variety but I do think that producing a product that more people wish to see on Nascars current tracks makes the most sense.

upload_2018-10-8_17-47-21.png

just to put everything into perspective the actual increase was just a 6%. Anyway this is the article

Roval to the Rescue: NASCAR Gets Increase at Charlotte
First increase this season without aid of scheduling change

For the first time in 2018, NASCAR got some good ratings news last weekend.

The NASCAR Cup Series playoffs at Charlotte earned a 1.95 rating and 3.218 million viewers on NBC, up 6% in ratings and 13% in viewership from last year (1.8, 2.86M) and just the fourth Cup Series race all season to post an increase, joining Michigan, Chicagoland and Watkins Glen.

Ryan Blaney‘s win at the so-called “Roval” — a road course configuration at the oval Charlotte Motor Speedway track — was the first of those four races to increase without aid of a scheduling change. Michigan and Watkins Glen moved up from cable last year to broadcast this year; Chicagoland moved from September (opposite the NFL) to July.

It may not seem like it but Dover was a win for NASCAR as it held its year over year viewership. It would be great to see NASCAR hit some home runs but for right now a series of singles would be just fine.

from sportsmediawatch

NASCAR Back to Normal as Dover Hits Low
After some rare good news at Charlotte’s Roval, NASCAR fell back to earth at Dover last weekend.

Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series playoffs at Dover had a 1.2 rating and 2.01 million viewers on NBCSN, down a tick in ratings and 2% in viewership from last year (1.3, 2.05M) and down 20% and 21% respectively from 2016 (1.5, 2.56M).

Chase Elliott‘s win ranks as the lowest rated edition of the race since at least 2000 and the least-watched since at least 2001.

Overall, it tied the second-lowest Cup Series rating since at least 2000, ahead of only Richmond two weeks earlier (1.0). It also earned the third-smallest audience, ahead of Richmond (1.77M) and New Hampshire last year (1.99M).

Yeah, not gonna pull a big rating if you can see the same racing at your local train station

That NASCAR TV ratings crater is getting bigger and bigger. Get ya some of that!

Yeah, not gonna pull a big rating if you can see the same racing at your local train station

I will be the first to dump on just how horrible plate racing at Talladega is, but that's really not how it works. TV ratings for an event are far more dependent on anticipation and interest leading up to it, not the quality of the event itself as it's happening. Hundreds of thousands of casual viewers don't know how a race is going to play out before they tune in.

What is becoming clear is that the supposed incredible popularity of plate racing is overstated. The mighty Talladega just posted an overnight rating only marginally higher than the Roval. Never before have those two tracks been this close in terms of viewership.

I will be the first to dump on just how horrible plate racing at Talladega is, but that's really not how it works. TV ratings for an event are far more dependent on anticipation and interest leading up to it, not the quality of the event itself as it's happening. Hundreds of thousands of casual viewers don't know how a race is going to play out before they tune in.

What is becoming clear is that the supposed incredible popularity of plate racing is overstated. The mighty Talladega just posted an overnight rating only marginally higher than the Roval.
Plate racing has been bad all year and for the last several. I expected what we got yesterday and I can't be alone.

I agree with what @gnomesayin said about the anticipation of an event driving the number of viewers and I thought that Talladega would have about the same anticipation as last year. IDK how big of a year over year decline Talladega experienced but it had to be around 20% which is disappointing in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom