NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

I wonder if NASCAR has ever commissioned a study to find out why so many fans have walked away? The amount of people that no longer watch races numbers in the millions so there should be a good base from which to draw.

I understand that it is documented that the majority of fans want dumbed down racing next year. Why fans left should be documented too.
This type of thing is hard to do without first firing the CEO and the entire management staff. Existing management always has baggage and alliances that prevent real change.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

IDK how many outside of this forum like the racing the way it is but I know there is a strong contingent of us here. The poor ratings and attendance don’t influence my decision to watch the races.

Spoken like a true fan. You'll watch no matter what. That being said, the sport has to evolve to bring in new fans in the hopes of creating a new fanbase that will be like you in 30 years.

I remember as Bill Elliott's career was waning then he switched to Dodge and that did it for me several years ago. Just lost interest in the sport. Then for whatever reason I started watching races again around 2010. Not every race though. Then went to my first race the fall Atlanta race in 2013 that unfortunately Kyle Bush won and got back into watching the sport weekly. Been to several races since then. I think where the sport is now, for me, is a good place and I would like to see an end to the aero/package changes like with the all star race. Leave that stuff alone. Another thing I dislike is the long season because it interferes with college football. Maybe mix up the schedule some and shorten the season but leave the race cars alone. What they have now on the track is good imo. I don't really care if ratings are down or there are empty seats.

I wish Burton and the rest of the screaming gerbils would quit beating the dead playoff horse, give us some peace, and focus on correctly reporting the race as it unfolds. I don't think many are buying what they are selling.

Often Times the broadcasts are an assault on our ears and an affront to our intelligence. I thought they did a decent job at Kansas though.

One thing that stood out to me about the year over year numbers was in the 18-49 category. There were about 30% less viewers in that category this year and NASCAR already does poorly in that demo.

None of this has any impact on my viewing habits though

JMO but it is a shame more people decided to do something other than watch the Martinsville race. I think races like that have the potential to get rookie race fans to tune in more.

from sportsmediawatch

NASCAR’s Bad Times Continue at Martinsville
Eighth race with less than a 1.5 rating this season

For the 24th time in 2018, NASCAR ratings fell to historic lows.

The NASCAR Cup Series playoffs from Martinsville (Va.) earned a 1.3 rating and 2.15 million viewers on NBCSN, down 24% in ratings and 22% in viewership from last year (1.7, 2.78M) and down 19% in both measures from 2016 (1.6, 2.67M).

Excluding rainouts, Joey Logano‘s win was the lowest rated at Martinsville since at least 1999 and the least-watched since at least 2001.

from sportsmediawatch

The NASCAR Cup Series playoffs from Martinsville (Va.) earned a 1.3 rating and 2.15 million viewers on NBCSN, down 24% in ratings and 22% in viewership from last year (1.7, 2.78M) and down 19% in both measures from 2016 (1.6, 2.67M).

Excluding rainouts, Joey Logano‘s win was the lowest rated at Martinsville since at least 1999 and the least-watched since at least 2001.

And the race had one of the best finishes in the history of Martinsville. Too bad ya missed it.

And the race had one of the best finishes in the history of Martinsville. Too bad ya missed it.

It was a good finish and I’m glad I saw it. It is the millions of others that now do other things. I think most of us hope this stabilizes soon.

It was a good finish and I’m glad I saw it. It is the millions of others that now do other things. I think most of us hope this stabilizes soon.

I look at it this way, NASCAR isnt going anywhere in my lifetime, it will be on TV, it doesnt matter to me how many watch or how many are at the track. Enough of us still and will remain to keep it around as an outlet for TV to use and sell and make ad revenue. I dont care if drivers salaries decrease, sponsors dont pony up as much as they used too etc...... None of that effects my enjoyment when watching, neither do rule changes or stages or tapered spacers. Its a race to me, and me and a few million a week will watch and enjoy ourselves until we are gone. Have fun while you're here folks, life is short and any race is good.

I look at it this way, NASCAR isnt going anywhere in my lifetime, it will be on TV, it doesnt matter to me how many watch or how many are at the track. Enough of us still and will remain to keep it around as an outlet for TV to use and sell and make ad revenue. I dont care if drivers salaries decrease, sponsors dont pony up as much as they used too etc...... None of that effects my enjoyment when watching, neither do rule changes or stages or tapered spacers. Its a race to me, and me and a few million a week will watch and enjoy ourselves until we are gone. Have fun while you're here folks, life is short and any race is good.

You bring up some really good points and it is beyond me why someone would devote descretionary time to something they didn’t like. With this being the TV thread there isn’t really anything pertinent for fans that love the sport and love the races. It is mainly just posting bad news and commenting on it.

only if they go up

On another thread ratings for other sports are posted and taken as a benchmark. With NASCAR it seems like the idea that ratings could be tabulated incorrectly might get some traction until they go up and all is well.

On another thread ratings for other sports are posted and taken as a benchmark. With NASCAR it seems like the idea that ratings could be tabulated incorrectly might get some traction until they go up and all is well.
People question the ratings system there also and there is plenty of criticism to go around

TV ratings for sporting events have been gradually declining for years. One reason is more fans are watching the games through non-traditional means, such as streaming. On that note, Variety reports that on Fox Sports streaming platforms, Game 5 was the fourth-most-streamed game in World Series history, with an average-minute audience of 240,000. That's up 40 percent from 2017’s Game 5.

Still, the TV ratings decline will feed into the narrative that MLB needs to fix the sport and deal with issues such as the length of games, pace of play and too many strikeouts.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...3-percent-from-2017/hdzidvtf75e11l8fxejp587eq

. People question the ratings system there also and there is plenty of criticism to go around

TV ratings for sporting events have been gradually declining for years. One reason is more fans are watching the games through non-traditional means, such as streaming. On that note, Variety reports that on Fox Sports streaming platforms, Game 5 was the fourth-most-streamed game in World Series history, with an average-minute audience of 240,000. That's up 40 percent from 2017’s Game 5.

Still, the TV ratings decline will feed into the narrative that MLB needs to fix the sport and deal with issues such as the length of games, pace of play and too many strikeouts.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...3-percent-from-2017/hdzidvtf75e11l8fxejp587eq

About all I know about MLB is that 70 million people watched the regular season games last year. They can speed up or slow down the games.

As far as ratings discussions the question of whether we could trust Nielsen’s NASCAR ratings was introduced on this thread. I think you even liked the post!

I don’t recall Nielsen’s ratings being questioned for other sports and if they have I have not seen it.

You bring up some really good points and it is beyond me why someone would devote descretionary time to something they didn’t like. With this being the TV thread there isn’t really anything pertinent for fans that love the sport and love the races. It is mainly just posting bad news and commenting on it.
I guess it can be bad news, but mostly for the people in the sport who get paid.

from sportsmediawatch

Does this include people that DVR and watch at a later point in time? I do this A LOT to keep my weekend days open to do things. Does this also rope in people watching live stream or say on NASCAR.com?

Does this include people that DVR and watch at a later point in time? I do this A LOT to keep my weekend days open to do things. Does this also rope in people watching live stream or say on NASCAR.com?
yeah that is the point with not only Nascar but all sporting events. The amount of the audience they survey is pretty small, and now add in all of the platforms that aren't measured, of course Nielsen says they are doing a good job, but without full disclosure from Nielsen on where and who is included in their surveys, there will always be controversy IMO.

Maybe the Martinsville finish actually gave Texas a boost in ratings over what it would have had otherwise?

If that is the case, Texas certainly didn't do Phoenix any favors.

Maybe the Martinsville finish actually gave Texas a boost in ratings over what it would have had otherwise?

If that is the case, Texas certainly didn't do Phoenix any favors.
Don't think so. There's not really any significant variation track-by-track outside of Daytona and Talladega. Maybe it's in the Wayback Archive somewhere since the site got taken down, but Andrew Maness did some research a while back and found that short tracks actually average slightly below average viewership.

That Martinsville race last year had the same rating as Kansas the week before too.

DVR figures for live sporting events are typically very low. The programming that increases a lot in your Live+3 and Live+7 ratings compared to Live+Same Day is going to be your typical scripted TV series.

Live streaming doesn't add much, mid-five figures at best.

What is funny about it? It may or may not be a significant factor, but it is more plausible than anything you've posted on the subject. Don't disparage @dpkimmel2001's suggestion when you have offered nothing of substance.

Inappropriate maniacal laughter in social settings in which nobody else is laughing is a cause for concern.

Texas has always had decent ratings in comparison over the years. Could be the marketing area, heck if I know. I do know the Indy state are avid racing fans when the Brickyard comes around.

It's true that a major market like DFW and other large Texas cities are going to over-index at least somewhat in terms of viewership when the race is local to the region.

Also seemingly true is that while Martinsville is an awesome track, it is not a TV ratings savior. It is hard to believe that other less famous short tracks would be either. I still think a schedule with more obvious variety could help address the monotony many feel is a problem.

It's true that a major market like DFW and other large Texas cities are going to over-index at least somewhat in terms of viewership when the race is local to the region.

Also seemingly true is that while Martinsville is an awesome track, it is not a TV ratings savior. It is hard to believe that other less famous short tracks would be either. I still think a schedule with more obvious variety could help address the monotony many feel is a problem.
I tell ya what, without a diagram of where the ratings people have their measuring devices, logic says the Martinsville area would have less measuring devices than the Dallas/Ft. worth area would have.

Back
Top Bottom