NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

It's true that a major market like DFW and other large Texas cities are going to over-index at least somewhat in terms of viewership when the race is local to the region.

Also seemingly true is that while Martinsville is an awesome track, it is not a TV ratings savior. It is hard to believe that other less famous short tracks would be either. I still think a schedule with more obvious variety could help address the monotony many feel is a problem.
Good points, Gnomesayin. One additional point that I feel is counter-productive is the narrative that racetracks are characterized strictly by the length of one lap. When it comes to a topic like monotony of the schedule, I see no similarity in the racing at 1.5-mile Atlanta (wide multi-groove abrasive tire-eater) and at 1.5-mile Texas (single-groove, hard-to-pass, with low tire wear). To a spectator, Atlanta and Texas are as similar as are Martinsville and Bristol... which is to say, not similar at all.

Which track is different to the TV audience:
Atlanta
Fontana
Texas
Darlington
Homestead

Very clearly, Texas is the one that is different on that list.

go to a local bar every sunday during football season

not 1 week has someone said "hey turn on the race!"

go to a local bar every sunday during football season

not 1 week has someone said "hey turn on the race!"
This is why so many people here want to end the Nascar season in August. But I wonder how many patrons of your bar are clamoring to turn the channel to cornhole tournaments or high school cheerleader shows. Because not every network has NFL rights.

This is why so many people here want to end the Nascar season in August. But I wonder how many patrons of your bar are clamoring to turn the channel to cornhole tournaments or high school cheerleader shows. Because not every network has NFL rights.

I think most fans would go along with shortening the season. The Team owners might as it would help control cost. Yes, I know sponsors would pay less too.

The optics of empty stands and less TV ratings snowball beyond where excuses can be provided with and credibility.

It's every year at this time, get a DVR or buy two TV's or just go away and watch football. But nope, always the season shorteners pop up this time of year. Nascar is on two or three weeks longer than most racing series, but it kills some of them. :D

How much has the TV ratings fallen since the high point? 50%? More? How long ago was that?

It's every year at this time, get a DVR or buy two TV's or just go away and watch football. But nope, always the season shorteners pop up this time of year. Nascar is on two or three weeks longer than most racing series, but it kills some of them. :D
Nascar is the only sport that I'm aware of where fans call for a shorter season. Personally, I don't get it. I have zero problem getting in all the NFL, NCAAF, NCAAB, NHL & Nascar broadcasts this time of the year. What's the problem with today's fans? Heck, some want shorter races too. In another month they'll be complaining that they have to wait two more months for the season to start. :idunno:

Nascar is the only sport that I'm aware of where fans call for a shorter season. Personally, I don't get it. I have zero problem getting in all the NFL, NCAAF, NCAAB, NHL & Nascar broadcasts this time of the year. What's the problem with today's fans? Heck, some want shorter races too. In another month they'll be complaining that they have to wait two more months for the season to start. :idunno:
That seems to increase after foot ball is over also. every year, nobody is talking about a shorter season then.:D

NBA fans definitely call for it, I think it would definitely benefit that league to cut out 5-10 games while keeping the total season length about the same (they actually lengthened it by two weeks starting last year).

With Nascar, I think a 33-34 race schedule is a better option than shorter races, if you ask me. But an even better solution would be eliminating the 2nd visit to some cookie cutter tracks and add new ones in. Texas, Kansas, New Hampshire, Dover, Vegas definitely don't need 2nd events, at least in my opinion. I'm sure they could find 4 new tracks to run events at in this country to replace those. From a TV perspective, seeing so many races at these cookie cutter 1.5 mile tracks just becomes a drag.

NBA fans definitely call for it, I think it would definitely benefit that league to cut out 5-10 games while keeping the total season length about the same (they actually lengthened it by two weeks starting last year).

With Nascar, I think a 33-34 race schedule is a better option than shorter races, if you ask me. But an even better solution would be eliminating the 2nd visit to some cookie cutter tracks and add new ones in. Texas, Kansas, New Hampshire, Dover, Vegas definitely don't need 2nd events, at least in my opinion. I'm sure they could find 4 new tracks to run events at in this country to replace those. From a TV perspective, seeing so many races at these cookie cutter 1.5 mile tracks just becomes a drag.

I would use some fans when it comes to the NBA. Ever notice that any sporting event ya go to there are always those who leave before the event has ended? I never have been one of those, and I don't understand the ones that do. Same thing with the above post. IMO

The NBA got turned around when they started listening to what the fans wanted. The game is vastly different today than it was in the 1980's. It isn't battle ball anymore. Also, they started listening to the new owners about how to broadcast the games and the rules surrounding it. Turned the sport around.

It's a huge financial hit for a professional sports league to cut back on the schedule. Events mean revenue. The IRL cut back only once they we're out of money and the tracks would not pay the sanction fees

NASCAR is only going to do that as a last resort.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

and because Nascar owners ISC and Speedway are continuing to show a profit and pay dividends to stock holders (a fact lost to the deathbedders) a few bruised ego's because they aren't doing what they think is needed isn't going to change anything.

I never miss a Nascar race or Gators or Saints game. I watch the races live and DVR the games and watch them right after the race is over. Priorities rule.

and because Nascar owners ISC and Speedway are continuing to show a profit and pay dividends to stock holders (a fact lost to the deathbedders) a few bruised ego's because they aren't doing what they think is needed isn't going to change anything.
No one ever said they aren't turning a profit, but they have lost a lot of revenue. You can spin it any way you want, bottom line is Nascar's bottom line has shrunk mightily the last five years.

No one ever said they aren't turning a profit, but they have lost a lot of revenue. You can spin it any way you want, bottom line is Nascar's bottom line has shrunk mightily the last five years.
no the bottom line is that they are showing a profit.

Bottom line? As in why Fanatics left track sales the 10 year track sales contract they started in 2015 and left this year? How many years early did they bail out on?

The nfl is the shortest of the professional sports, and I would argue it is the sole reason it is the most popular. Not only is the nhl and nba regular season too long, but their post seasons are excruciating at nearly 3 months. Simply put, once the twins, timberwolves and wild have been eliminatated, I have zero interest in watching baseball, hockey, or the NBA. However, the Vikings being eliminated has no effect on watching the playoffs or super bowl.

The nfl is the shortest of the professional sports, and I would argue it is the sole reason it is the most popular. Not only is the nhl and nba regular season too long, but their post seasons are excruciating at nearly 3 months. Simply put, once the twins, timberwolves and wild have been eliminatated, I have zero interest in watching baseball, hockey, or the NBA. However, the Vikings being eliminated has no effect on watching the playoffs or super bowl.
Can't speak for the NBA as I'm not a fan but the NHL, as a Penguins fan I gotta disagree. The NHL season is far from being too long for me. Even when my team is eliminated, I still enjoy watching the rest of the season that remains. Same goes for the NFL, MLB & Nascar.

If the Saints or Gators are playing I watch or DVR it.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/11/nascar-ratings-texas-record-low-2/

Information relayed from the above link on The Texas race and then how well NASCAR has performed for NBC and Fox:

"Ratings and viewership were twice as high just four years ago, when the race had a 2.8 and 4.75 million on ESPN. A decade ago, it had a 3.7 and 5.89 million, albeit on ABC.

Texas was the final NASCAR race on cable this season. None of the 18 races on NBCSN or FS1 managed even a 1.8 rating, and only one increased over last year. Half of the 18 races had less than a 1.5 rating. By comparison, only four Cup Series races in the previous 17 seasons fell below that mark.

Overall, of the 30 total races this season that have been run as scheduled, 26 have posted declines in ratings and/or viewership — and 25 have hit an all-time or decade-plus low."

I've seen Dover, Texas, Phoenix, and a couple other races with very small declines or about even with last year. I wouldn't say NASCAR is in that much trouble if they manage to not lose any viewership next year.

Why are some so defensive about where NASCAR stands in the ratings and in attendance?

Anyway I forgot to post the Texas ratings, from sportsmediawatch

NASCAR Texas Ratings, Viewership, at Record-Lows
Another double-digit decline as season draws to close

NASCAR ratings have been consistent all year: down double-digits to historic lows.

The NASCAR Cup Series playoffs from Texas earned a 1.4 rating and 2.27 million viewers on NBCSN last Sunday, down 13% in ratings and 16% in viewership from last year (1.6, 2.70M). The 2016 race was postponed due to rain, with rainout coverage earning a 1.1 and 1.86 million.

Excluding rainouts, Kevin Harvick‘s win was the lowest rated and least-watched edition of the race (dates back to 2005).
------------------

but who cares right? as long as there is a profit...

Why are some so defensive about where NASCAR stands in the ratings and in attendance?
We have a fleet of excavators working in the civil construction field.

Every one of them has a counterweight equal to the extended-reach lift capacity of the machine it’s bolted to. Does that help?

Another fall

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/11/nascar-ratings-phoenix-lowest-years/

"Excluding rainouts, Kyle Busch‘s win ranks as the lowest rated edition of the race since at least 2000 and the least-watched since at least 2001. The previous lows were set last year.

Four years ago, the race had a 3.1 and 5.09 million on ESPN. A decade ago, it had a 3.6 and 5.66 million on ABC. Way back in NASCAR’s mid-2000s heyday, it had a 5.0 and 7.43 million in 2005 on NBC.

Of the 31 races this season that have been run as scheduled, Phoenix was the 27th to post a decline in ratings and/or viewership, and the 26th to hit an all-time or decade-plus low."

SMW never reported on the overnight. The final dropped from a 2.1 to a 2.0, whereas last year it increased from a 2.1 overnight to a 2.2 final. One is reporting on what comes out Monday and the other on what comes out Tuesday.

2.1,2.0.2 point whatever ya missed the drama. Sport media watch will still find a way to make this into a negative story somehow

Back
Top Bottom