NASCAR - Television Ratings Thread

Yeah, what are you gonna do if you have a sports network but don't have broadcast rights to the Masters? ESPN aired a lot of high school cheerleading stuff last weekend... it must have been an off weekend for the Cornhole League.:idunno:

FS1 got their highest rating since November with the cup race, and on Saturday Fox did OK with Xfinity on the main network. But I'm expecting deathbed spin from the usual places.
What, the Master's on anything other than CBS for the weekend's match-ups? That's as likely to happen as ABC losing out the Indy 500 to another network. That'll never happen! ;)

Yeah, what are you gonna do if you have a sports network but don't have broadcast rights to the Masters? ESPN aired a lot of high school cheerleading stuff last weekend... it must have been an off weekend for the Cornhole League.:idunno:

FS1 got their highest rating since November with the cup race, and on Saturday Fox did OK with Xfinity on the main network. But I'm expecting deathbed spin from the usual places.

it sounds like it should be apocalyptic answer # 5...oh you just wait until 2025 when the new TV deal come thru..that one usually follows good news. It's all filed from the mutterings from under the bridge.

It sounds like it should be apocalyptic answer # 5...oh you just wait until 2025 when the new TV deal come thru...
Yeah, I expect spirited bidding in 2025 for Cornhole League broadcast rights between ESPN, NSC/SN, and FS1. Personally, I think FS1 is in the catbird seat for Cornhole... 'cause they already have Mikey Waltrip under contract. Mikey and Cornhole is a natural fit..:D

Yeah, I expect spirited bidding in 2025 for Cornhole League broadcast rights between ESPN, NSC/SN, and FS1. Personally, I think FS1 is in the catbird seat for Cornhole... 'cause they already have Mikey Waltrip under contract. Mikey and Cornhole is a natural fit..:D

Hmmmm...... do tell

No mas on Lew, Michael and the cornhole please. As far as ratings go I think they were off a little over 40% compared to last year and some people will say that Nascar is doing no worse than the NFL when it comes to market erosion. There have already been some good comments showing the loss in a positive light

Others will see a 40% loss as emblematic of serious problem that will negatively impact the series.

"Sunday's NASCAR Cup Series Texas 500 earned a 1.7 rating and 2.82 million viewers on FS1, down 37% in ratings and 38% in viewership from last year (2.7, 4.5M) and down 37% and 35% respectively from 2016 (2.7, 4.3M), both of which aired on FOX.

Kyle Busch's win was the lowest rated edition of the race (dates back to 1997) and the least-watched since at least 2000 (viewership prior to 2001 was not available)."

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2018/story/_/id/23091374/texas-overnight-tv-ratings

B-R-U-T-A-L

At this rate it will only be people on this board watching in a few years. Still be arguing about the Gen 6 probably.

I am hoping that Bristol will be the race of the year so far and make up for Martinsville. I believe the race had about 5.5 million viewers in 2016 so hopefully this race can do likewise

I believe the race had about 5.5 million viewers in 2016 so hopefully this race can do likewise
The sense of hope is palpable.
LOL. Palpable indeed. I'm gonna make a wild-ass guess that Bristol in 2016 was on the FOX parent network, not FS1?? Sorta like Texas... on FOX last year, but moved to FS1 this year.

If my guess is right, why would anyone choose 2016 as the basis of comparison?

It is hard to believe but there are some that preach it

What happened to all the people that tied the low ratings to Tiger? He wasn't in contention at the Masters, and the ratings for the race in Texas were the lowest ever.:sne:

The first Bristol race last year was rain delayed but still did well by capturing a 1.6 rating with 2.2 million viewers and it is especially good when you figure the last race at Texas scored a 1.7 and had no delays whatsoever. The last time the spring race at Bristol was run in its normal time frame was in 2016 and this race as well as the 2017 race. The 2016 and 2017 races were run on Fox and this year's is as well. There is a regional cornhole tourney on this weekend that may negatively impact viewership.

^ Mea culpa, my bad. I was thinking Sunday's race was on FS1 moved over to cable from the main network. That's what happened last week. But this week is FOX for both this year and the prior years. My bad.

^ Mea culpa, my bad. I was thinking Sunday's race was on FS1 moved over to cable from the main network. That's what happened last week. But this week is FOX for both this year and the prior years. My bad.

No problem at all as it was a year ago and a lot of things have taken place since then. For some reason I just remembered part of the race being on a Monday

@AtomicPunk55, do you see it as more likely that:

1. Sunday's Cup race will average at least 5.5 million viewers.

or

2. You will be able to sustain the required interest / satisfaction to watch the race to its conclusion.

...There is a regional cornhole tourney on this weekend that may negatively impact viewership.

DefiniteUnkemptBarebirdbat-max-1mb.gif

@AtomicPunk55, do you see it as more likely that:

1. Sunday's Cup race will average at least 5.5 million viewers.

or

2. You will be able to sustain the required interest / satisfaction to watch the race to its conclusion.

Weather permitting my plan for Sunday afternoon includes a Honda Pioneer, wildlife and cameras so I hate to hazard a guess. More than anything I hope it is a race that those in attendance and those at home enjoy.

Monday's race did a 1.5 overnight on FOX. The last rain delayed race run on a Monday by Fox was in 2014. It had a 2.2 overnight. Also, on Saturday, the Xfinity race did a 0.7 overnight (down 13%).

Monday's race did a 1.5 overnight on FOX. The last rain delayed race run on a Monday by Fox was in 2014. It had a 2.2 overnight. Also, on Saturday, the Xfinity race did a 0.7 overnight (down 13%).

What surprises me is that Bristol did a 1.5 overnight with a next day delay but Texas did a 1.7 and I don't think there were any delays but I only saw a small amount of that race. We saw 1 or 2 uninterrupted races fall below the 2 million viewership mark last year but the floodgates could open up this year. The losses so far this year are outpacing what I thought would occur but there is always a bunch of excuses at the ready.

As stinky as the bait is, the lines have still been cast..... Just waiting on the next nibble..... It'll happen though. It's just a matter of time.

NASCAR's DEAD....let me start the FIRE. :)
I haven't been on in a while since I've been busy at work....but I enjoy stirring the pot. I LOVE the replies my Kyle Busch Appeciation Thread are getting. Go #18!!!
Jimmie is the greatest of our era, but Kyle is on his way to taking over.

As stinky as the bait is, the lines have still been cast..... Just waiting on the next nibble..... It'll happen though. It's just a matter of time.
What stinks is that so many people did not get to see a great race yesterday either from home or in person. I thought the ratings for the race were very good as even though it was delayed it beat several non delayed events last year.
As far as attendance goes it looks like the students said "thanks but no thanks" to the offer of free tickets. I suppose the little rascals were at home doing homework instead.
NASCAR's DEAD....let me start the FIRE. :)
I haven't been on in a while since I've been busy at work....but I enjoy stirring the pot. I LOVE the replies my Kyle Busch Appeciation Thread are getting. Go #18!!!
Jimmie is the greatest of our era, but Kyle is on his way to taking over.
I appreciate Kyle for making the veins of forum members pop.

I'm a maroon, I quoted the ratings from April last year. My mistake, I thought they looked high and went back to check sure enough it was from last year.

27c5932b4197271a08b337e75dc7c17a.jpg

Monday was down from last year's rain delay overnight. This year Fox earned a 1.4, and last year it was a 1.5. Fox's streaming apps had an average of 23K on them. On the bright side the race on Sunday had a 2.3 overnight until the rain delay.

All things considered I think 3.9 million is a good number for 2018. I looked back at some of the other viewership numbers and noticed that the race had 7.9 million viewers in 2014. The race began on FOX and was stopped at 124 laps due to weather and resumed on FS1.

All things considered I think 3.9 million is a good number for 2018. I looked back at some of the other viewership numbers and noticed that the race had 7.9 million viewers in 2014. The race began on FOX and was stopped at 124 laps due to weather and resumed on FS1.
I wonder if a race run on time with clear weather could have reached 5 million viewers? I about missed the start due to not thinking they were going to get on track at all on Sunday. I'm sure some people made other plans thinking the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom