Contributor
THE RACE: Pocono 400 Monster Energy Cup Series Race

TRACK: Pocono Raceway

Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Race #14 of 36

Date: Sunday June 2nd, 2019, Long Pond PA

Scheduled Green Flag (approx): 2:15 pm/et

=======================================

All Times E/T

Cup and Xfinity are racing this weekend.

TV SCHEDULE

Friday, May 31

11:30 AM, MENCS Pocono practice, NASCAR.com
1:00 PM, NXS Pocono practice, NASCAR.com
2:00 PM, MENCS Pocono practice, NASCAR.com
3:00 PM, NXS Pocono final practice, FS2
4:00 PM, MENCS Pocono final practice, FS2
10:30 PM, NASCAR Presents: Davey Lives On, FS1

Saturday, June 1
6:00 AM, MENCS Pocono final practice re-air, FS1
10:00 AM, NXS Pocono qualifying, FS1
11:00 AM, NASCAR Race Hub – Weekend Edition, FS1
11:30 AM, MENCS Pocono qualifying, FS1
12:30 PM, NASCAR RaceDay: NXS, FS1
1:00 PM, NXS Pocono race, FS1

Sunday, June 2
9:00 AM, NXS Pocono race re-air, FS1
12:30 PM, NASCAR RaceDay, FS1
2:00 PM, MENCS Pocono race, FS1

If last year's Xfinity race is any indication, it's gonna be a long day...

I'm making plans to go to the doubleheader. I'd love to go to Charlotte in May and/or Daytona Speedweeks soon, but next years weekend looks like one of the best values I've ever seen for a NASCAR weekend in terms of racing action. I hope the Cup races stay at 400 miles next year.

I've always felt like Pocono is an underrated track, at least under the old packages. Not sure how the fan support is the past few years, but it seems like a lot of fans seem to come out to Pocono usually if the weather is good.

I'm making plans to go to the doubleheader. I'd love to go to Charlotte in May and/or Daytona Speedweeks soon, but next years weekend looks like one of the best values I've ever seen for a NASCAR weekend in terms of racing action. I hope the Cup races stay at 400 miles next year.

I've always felt like Pocono is an underrated track, at least under the old packages. Not sure how the fan support is the past few years, but it seems like a lot of fans seem to come out to Pocono usually if the weather is good.
The crowds have been halfway decent. 1/2 to 2/3 full or so of a 76,000 capacity, depending on weather. Not a bad crowd by today's standards.

The crowds have been halfway decent. 1/2 to 2/3 full or so of a 76,000 capacity, depending on weather. Not a bad crowd by today's standards.

Generally speaking, Pocono has fared pretty well attendance wise (% of capacity). Especially when you consider the enormous infield. One thing that helps Pocono is it has a cult like following. People just love going up there, getting away from the "city" and just having a good time.

Just ordered my ticket and basically all the upper level seats in the 201 to 216 areas (towards turn 1) are sold out which is a really good sign. I think there might be a larger crowd due to this being the last traditional race June race weekend perhaps ever.

Deegan on track earlier today. Some good looking partly cloudy weather.

Selfishly hoping for rain Sunday because then I'd be able to go Monday :)

Showers, according to accuweather. Could be another deal where I have to drive over there twice in two days, which is the reason I'm not a fan of next year's schedule. Also if they run Monday it's going to be in the low 60's so bundle it up. Hell of a rain pattern we're in for the last 18 months or so.

Showers, according to accuweather. Could be another deal where I have to drive over there twice in two days, which is the reason I'm not a fan of next year's schedule. Also if they run Monday it's going to be in the low 60's so bundle it up. Hell of a rain pattern we're in for the last 18 months or so.[/QUOTE]

I've never seen anything like it. Constant rain twice a week or more. Water table is crazy high. My dad says he has more water in a creekbed at his house since his childhood.

Showers, according to accuweather. Could be another deal where I have to drive over there twice in two days, which is the reason I'm not a fan of next year's schedule. Also if they run Monday it's going to be in the low 60's so bundle it up. Hell of a rain pattern we're in for the last 18 months or so.

I think they'll get it in Sunday. Could be a delay or two but there's plenty of daylight to work with. I don't see this being any type of all day rain event. The ground is absolutely soaked so weepers and the parking lot are a concern. Thankfully with the smaller crowds they have plenty of parking lot to work with. They generally do a good job of parking people in the truly muddy areas.

I work in the golf industry. The historic rainfall the last 12+ months has been a nightmare.

I wonder if lap times will be longer than 55 seconds? That'd be 4-5 seconds slower than previous years. I really don't think we'll see much of a change in the racing at Pocono....still gonna be a huge braking track. Maybe guys will get a nice draft down the main straight but I don't expect any earth-shattering changes in the racing other than significantly slower speeds on the straights.

I wonder if lap times will be longer than 55 seconds? That'd be 4-5 seconds slower than previous years. I really don't think we'll see much of a change in the racing at Pocono....still gonna be a huge braking track. Maybe guys will get a nice draft down the main straight but I don't expect any earth-shattering changes in the racing other than significantly slower speeds on the straights.

I have no idea myself
From what I have read, some think they can run the tunnel turn wide open. Menard thinks big drafting and not as much braking as before and Byron? “I think it’s going to make it a little more similar to the Truck Series race there and that was one of my best races,” Byron said.

Pocono Schedule of Events
BY
MRN STAFF MAY 27, 2019 AT 10:40 AM

All Times Eastern

Friday, May 31

ARCA Menards Series Final Practice: 9:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m.
ARCA Menards Series Qualifying: 12:00 p.m.
Xfinity Series First Practice: 1:05 p.m.-1:55 p.m. (MRN/NASCAR.com)
Monster Energy Cup Series First Practice: 2:05 p.m.-2:55 p.m. (MRN/NASCAR.com)
Xfinity Series Final Practice: 3:05 p.m.-3:55 p.m. (FS2)
Monster Energy Cup Series Final Practice: 4:05 p.m.-4:55 p.m. (MRN/FS2)
ARCA Menards Series General Tire 200: 5:30 p.m. (FS2)

Saturday, June 1

Xfinity Series Qualifying: 10:05 a.m. (FS1)
Monster Energy Cup Series Qualifying: 11:35 a.m. (MRN/FS1)
Radio Pre-Race: 12:30 p.m. (MRN)
TV Pre-Race: 12:30 p.m. (FS1)
Xfinity Series Pocono Green 250: 1:00 p.m. (MRN/FS1)

Sunday, June 2

Radio Pre-Race: 1:00 p.m. (MRN)
TV Pre-Race: (FS1)
Monster Energy Cup Series Pocono 400: 2:00 p.m. (MRN/FS1)

I think this race the package is going to really shine at. I have really liked pocono for a long time. I predict we see sling shot passes going into 1, I wish they made the gearing such that the drivers had to shift. I thought the drivers shifting always made the racing great and added a variable. I predict a good race. I also hope we don't lose pocono from the schedule or lose a race for that matter either. its a cool race track.

Forecast for Sunday continues to deteriorate. Looks like a 50/50 chance the race is postponed until Monday. If the race is held Monday pack an extra layer. High temps figure to be in the low to mid 50's. I've already forewarned my boss that there's a good chance I won't be working on Monday...

I think this race the package is going to really shine at. I have really liked pocono for a long time. I predict we see sling shot passes going into 1, I wish they made the gearing such that the drivers had to shift. I thought the drivers shifting always made the racing great and added a variable. I predict a good race. I also hope we don't lose pocono from the schedule or lose a race for that matter either. its a cool race track.

Next year is going to be a debacle but overall I think Pocono will be safe for one traditional weekend once the new TV contract is signed. Perhaps an Indy/NASCAR weekend if nothing else?

Agreed.

quite a spread with practice speeds at final practice

upload_2019-5-31_16-1-29.png

I thought Preece and Hemric would have run better by now. It's been underwhelming to say the least. I hope they find it soon.

Hemric has been running at the finish every race but Daytona. Preece has two top tens but 3 DNF's kinda killed that.

I think they're both getting shafted by their team owners. Austin Dillon and Chris Buscher both have cars that are just a step above what their teammates have week after week after week. Like...it's not even close.

Hemric has been running at the finish every race but Daytona. Preece has two top tens but 3 DNF's kinda killed that.

I think they're both getting shafted by their team owners. Austin Dillon and Chris Buscher both have cars that are just a step above what their teammates have week after week after week. Like...it's not even close.

Yeah I guess I was expecting better overall results out of the gate. Too high of hopes.

Preece has had some runs like Atlanta and Phoenix where he ran entirely better than his result would indicate. Surprisingly running hot on the plate tracks.

Hemric sort of the same deal running better than his results. Thought he had a top 10 car last week and Fontana. I think his equipment has been better than Preece, in qualifying speed anyway.

If both can top 20 here at Pocono might get some consistency going.

And what reason would their owners have to do that?
Because that's the way it rolls. There is a number one car for each team and the others get second choices. At SHR, all effort is made to have the 4 car run best. If another driver is comfortable with that set up he can use it but in most cases they can't. (Ex. JJ and JG could never drive each others cars.) Buescher has just enough or more experience that he can work with the crew chief making his car the better of the two.

I don't think so. Preece especially is seeing some of these tracks for the first or second time and both are rookies not only in cup but in their respective teams racing against experienced cup drivers.

Back
Top Bottom