2021-22 Winter Sports and Beijing Olympics

I love the Olympics but I kind of agree with this column. Every single adult acted with bad faith here and it led to, as NBC accurately put it last night, the destruction of a 15-year-old girl.

This is infuriating. And a sad commentary on where we stand as a world now. The coaches and the "Russian Olympic Committee" didn't care that they drugged her in a way that became public and tarnished her reputation. The United States and the media viciously attacked her. The Court of Arbitration allowed her to compete yesterday, citing what it would do to her mental health if they didn't and I can't think of anything worse for her mental health than what happened last night.

After her mental breakdown, the adults in the room were scolding her. It was abuse.

Tara Lipinski was saying, during the broadcast, that she just wants someone there to hug the child. The other athletes were shocked and heartbroken, and didn't even want to participate in the medal ceremony, though they eventually did (there weren't any smiles there except from the Japanese women).

It's one of the most awful things I've ever witnessed. Every single adult, in the name of nationalism and winning at all costs, broke that girl. It's just tragic.

NBC did a really great job with a very hard to watch ordeal. As hard as it is to watch, I wish NBC would upload that whole thing to YouTube. Every parent who has a kid in sports needs to see that and understand what “all costs” in “win at all costs” can truly mean.
Well put!

I love the Olympics but I kind of agree with this column. Every single adult acted with bad faith here and it led to, as NBC accurately put it last night, the destruction of a 15-year-old girl.

This is infuriating. And a sad commentary on where we stand as a world now. The coaches and the "Russian Olympic Committee" didn't care that they drugged her in a way that became public and tarnished her reputation. The United States and the media viciously attacked her. The Court of Arbitration allowed her to compete yesterday, citing what it would do to her mental health if they didn't and I can't think of anything worse for her mental health than what happened last night.

After her mental breakdown, the adults in the room were scolding her. It was abuse.

Tara Lipinski was saying, during the broadcast, that she just wants someone there to hug the child. The other athletes were shocked and heartbroken, and didn't even want to participate in the medal ceremony, though they eventually did (there weren't any smiles there except from the Japanese women).

It's one of the most awful things I've ever witnessed. Every single adult, in the name of nationalism and winning at all costs, broke that girl. It's just tragic.
I agree with you (that's a first). That figure skate was hard to watch. Anyone would've cracked under the pressure and it was terrifying to see how Valieva was left alone after the competition. Katarina Witt started crying on air when she saw this.
She also said that the Youth Olympic Games exist for a reason and suggested there should be a minimum age for the Olympics.

I read so much about this I decided not to watch and glad for that. I like to enjoy the Winter Olympics.

I was less interested in these games than any other before. Being in China ... I wish these sports organizations would stand up to China and Russia and quit rewarding them.

The Summer Games dropping off I get too. It was delayed a full year, the atmosphere wasn't the same. One big reason I enjoy the summer games too is that it's a two-week reprieve from the damn election.

Plus you have a very large portion of this country now that only supports their country and cheers for their country when their Mango Messiah is in office.

I watched a lot of the Winter Olympics as I like most of the events except speed skating and figure skating. I have always been a fan of the athletes no matter which country they represent because I'm excited for them and enjoy watching how talented they are.

Back
Top Bottom