2022 Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix

Are they really going to throw Belle Island away after all that's been invested in it? What a shame. It's finally become a decent facility and a decent race. We also lose about 20 years or so of continuity and tradition. This is probably the only street race I actually like, and they are killing it off.

Are they really going to throw Belle Island away after all that's been invested in it? What a shame. It's finally become a decent facility and a decent race. We also lose about 20 years or so of continuity and tradition. This is probably the only street race I actually like, and they are killing it off.
It’ll always be there so it’s not like they can never go back, but yeah, I actually like Belle Isle. I won’t judge the downtown circuit before they race there though.

The park still had a bunch of money invested into it and is a very nice place now so that’ll always be a good legacy, and it won’t have to have parts of it closed off for a month or so in prime summertime.

I generally hate street racing, but they finally got one close to right. When they go downtown they are going to get restricted by buildings and stuff. Hard to imagine it won't be less interesting.

Neither cart nor Indycar have a great record with new street races not having big problems. There are a lot of examples but San Jose, Baltimore, and Boston stood out as having serious safety hazards. Nashville is the latest example rushing into a place to grab the money and forgetting to build a safe, racy track. The part that astounds me is one lap around any of those in a rental car and the potential problems were obvious. Doesn't someone from Indycar actually go and scope the place out before they make a million dollar deal?

In general, street circuits over the past few years have been horribly executed and a lot of things were poorly thought out. Like, who thought the trolly track wouldn't cause any problem?

I do hope we get a decent replacement, and if it's downtown I hope they think things out and don't send the drivers into a boobytrap.

Newgarden on pole for the first time this season, but what a great day for MSR and DCR, both getting their two drivers into the Fast Six.

Newgarden
Sato
Pagenaud
Castroneves
O’Ward
Malukas

Grosjean crashed heavily at the end of Q2.

Sato runs around in 11th position all weekend until it counts, and then he comes out of stealth more and lands on the front row. He does this so often there's a pattern to it. He waits until go time and then it's full attack.

Reactions: JW1

I do not understand why year after year there can't be an alternate tire that is less severe. Instead the reds always seem to operate as a sort of joker lane tire that everyone must run once and get out of the way. If the reds and blacks were 50% more similar to each other, then there would be far more intriguing strategies in play.

I do not understand why year after year there can't be an alternate tire that is less severe. Instead the reds always seem to operate as a sort of joker lane tire that everyone must run once and get out of the way. If the reds and blacks were 50% more similar to each other, then there would be far more intriguing strategies in play.

I'm not so big on fake "mandatory option" tires. That, and Push to pass are both fake things. I don't like fake things in racing.

Firestone could certainly build a fast, safe. single compound tire. I don't see the need for two compounds. We make just one work fine on ovals, right? If we're going to have multiple compounds, why not let the teams use them how they see fit instead of requiring you run both? It's kind of a fake thing that only exists to artificially "improve " the racing. I'm a let the racing speak for itself ki of guy. If we need fake things to keep it interesting, we may as well watch wrestling.

I'm not so big on fake "mandatory option" tires. That, and Push to pass are both fake things. I don't like fake things in racing.

Firestone could certainly build a fast, safe. single compound tire. I don't see the need for two compounds. We make just one work fine on ovals, right? If we're going to have multiple compounds, why not let the teams use them how they see fit instead of requiring you run both? It's kind of a fake thing that only exists to artificially "improve " the racing. I'm a let the racing speak for itself ki of guy. If we need fake things to keep it interesting, we may as well watch wrestling.

I like the idea of an alternate tire that is actually a credible option as a racing tire, not one that falls apart in a few laps and is forced on everyone.

I like the idea of an alternate tire that is actually a credible option as a racing tire, not one that falls apart in a few laps and is forced on everyone.
They are forced to run both tires. It's not like you can run the tire you want. You have to choose what part of the race you run the junk tire. Like, at Barber, guys were pitting after 10 laps "to get rid of" the reds. Why would you deliberately start the race on a tire you can't wait to "get rid of" unless the rules required it? It's just fake.

OK, it's the same for everyone, but who needs the complication? Having two tires gives the announcers an excuse to
talk about those fabulous Firestone Firehawks on every single pit stop and talk incessantly about tire strategy. It's a race long commercial. If you make them run one compound there's no reason to talk about tires, is there?

It's the same thing in F1, but Pirelli can't be getting much out of it. The softs are junk. We can't get the car in the operating window. The tires won't switch on. The tires were finished after a lap. My tires are dead, Bono. Bla, bla, bla. Doesn't exactly make you want to run out and buy a set of Pirellis for the wife's car, does it?

So, when the reds are junk after 5 laps, does that hurt Firestone's sales or is that what people want on their own cars?

I agree that I wish it were a true option tire, not mandatory. Problem is that the current reds are such a joke that nobody would use them voluntarily.

Good clean, credible start to the race. I agree with those who will miss this one.

I’d like to get an explanation on the one Marshall showing a yellow flag on the first big straight on the opening lap. Apparently Grosjean slowed and lost a bunch of spots.

I’ll give credit, the varying tires induce a lot of passing. Dixon and Palou are streaking on primaries on this side of the run.

Don't see how vaunted strategist Tim Cindric could have missed it that badly, or at least how they didn't notice how much time they were losing to the early stoppers and adapt.

Really interesting set of factors coming together overall. Hoping for no freak cautions that would CHANGE EVERYTHING.

Set up for a suspenseful finish. Something tells me Power has more ability to milk the reds than what is understood, but we'll see.

I'm watching on Peacock, but it seems there are no side-by-side breaks today? Is it any different on USA?

Set up for a suspenseful finish. Something tells me Power has more ability to milk the reds than what is understood, but we'll see.

I'm watching on Peacock, but it seems there are no side-by-side breaks today? Is it any different on USA?
Yeah, there’s been a couple side-by-side sprinkled in between the full screen stuff.

I really think Rossi would’ve gotten him with another lap, maybe two. But Power has been magnificent outside of the 500 this year.

Pretty solid race. No cautions and the podium finishers came from 16th, 11th, and 9th. Great mix of racing and strategy.

I will never be OK with the holding up the leader stuff because they're on the lead lap with a few to go and racing for pride. Have some sense, act like you expect roles to be reversed eventually.

That said, very tense finish. Perfectly managed final stint from Power. Fantastic drive by Rossi as well. The #2 gave the race away on strategy, but those two stepped up and put on a show. Really good high level race, it's nice to see such a clean, professional IndyCar event.

What happened to Rossi lately? The last few years he just isn't the threat that he was his rookie year. Remember that crazy - "take every risk" guy with his hair on fire racing with Wickens?

Glad to see he finally came around and was a threat today.

(Even though I am still mad at him because he almost ran me down with his scooter in St. Petersburg.)

😠😠😠

Enjoyed a caution free race. Just flat out racing with some green flag pit stops and I enjoyed seeing Will Power get a win. Also liked McLaughlin frantically pushing buttons to get his car going again.

First time I have to criticize the announcers though with their hyped up drama at the end. On and on about the dirty air from Harvey's car and the effect on Power but not a mention of the same situation if or when Rossi might catch Power. Then he would need to find a place to pass him. Just wasn't buying it.

First time I have to criticize the announcers though with their hyped up drama at the end. On and on about the dirty air from Harvey's car and the effect on Power but not a mention of the same situation if or when Rossi might catch Power. Then he would need to find a place to pass him. Just wasn't buying it.
Diffy was screaming the whole last lap trying to create excitement that wasn't there.

Just watched it. Great finish.

I'm going to miss this place. The new circuit is nothing but 90-degree turns and straight runs. No curves, no variation in arc or radius, no character.

Back
Top Bottom