2022 Grand Prix of Portland

It’s incredible how quickly and how well Scotty has adapted to open wheelers from tin tops, really hope Penske put him in a Cup car and 963 at some point too.

Good racing today, cleanest Portland start yet made for competition the whole day. Really hoping Willy P can seal the deal next week. Malukas and Lundgaard are going to have their own ROTY title fight of their own, separated by just a few points now.

I enjoyed a great weekend as usual and it was exciting to see 25 drivers going through the chicane on that first lap without incident. Too many times I'm frustrated to see a few drivers out immediately and I don't get to watch them race.

Something that no one sees if they haven't been to a race are the emotions after the race in the pit area. The controlled frenzy of the crews tearing everything down and packing up while various drivers are hanging about or heading home. Josef Newgarden walking by us all alone in street clothes and a backpack looking at the ground after a bad race. Rahal in street clothes wearing a backpack talking with a few crewmembers before walking off alone to his rental car I assume. Helio still in his driving suit with that ever present smile on his face signing autographs. About a dozen O'Ward fans dressed in shirts that look like his driving suit that were jumping up and down chanting something in Spanish. You had to laugh and enjoy their enthusiasm. I spotted Ed Carpenter by his haulers and asked for an autograph and he thanked me for coming to the race.

A very nice end to the weekend and always a little sad when it's over but glad I get the opportunity to go.

Back
Top Bottom