2022 Silly Season (Non-Dibenedetto Edition)

1628726587443.jpeg

I was wondering earlier today if Burrito has seen the new Space Jam film…

hope he enjoyed it

followed by a 10 minute facebook update video… “Don’t blame the tree! Don’t blame the wood brothers”
Don't forget that he had to tell his wife about it, and that was the hardest thing he has ever had to do.....and then they benched 350 lbs. each, cut a clothing deal, and felt much better. Wanna see my bicep?

The reason I made my post in THIS thread instead of the other one was in response to the three snarky comments above mine.

We are not the ones who need to be proven wrong… this guy can go ahead and 11th place the series to death for a few more months. I’m not gonna by his t shirt

if everyone thinks this guy has everything needed to be an elite cup driver, I’m sure someone will put him in their cup car next year…

I got a question for y’all, and think of this as FANS not getting in the mind of a team owner, but FANS.

Do you only like a driver if they win? Like if a driver isn’t a winner are you not going to be that guys fan just because of that?

Just for the record, I never said elite, I said better than 60% of the drivers that still have rides next year. That's not to say he COULDN'T become elite, who knows? Until about 2017, my opinion of Martin Truex Jr. was about the same as what many of you think about Matty D.

Plus sometimes it’s the team. Hell Joey SUCKED ass at JGR, didn’t live up anywhere near his hype. Moved to Penske and we saw that hype become reality. Sometimes you just have to find the team that you gel with, that feels right. It’s a team sport for a reason, Guess I wish him luck wherever he ends up.

I got a question for y’all, and think of this as FANS not getting in the mind of a team owner, but FANS.

Do you only like a driver if they win? Like if a driver isn’t a winner are you not going to be that guys fan just because of that?
For me it’s mostly the perception of who that driver is on track… aggressive/relaxed driving styles, ect… but honestly looking back over the years I always had more fun with racing when I pulled for a driver who truly did contend and had a chance to win often.

The coverage revolves so heavily around the contenders and playoff drivers anyway… I imagine thats the way most fans might see it too, I could be wrong there…

My favorite Cup drivers have won a grand total of 5 races in the past 35 years I've been watching the sport. I never understood how people pull for drivers solely because they are successful - it would make every week pretty boring for me knowing they have a really good chance of winning.

I've been incredibly lucky as a fan and haven't had to face the not winning issue too much. My first NASCAR favorite was Harry Gant, who didn't win a LOT, but did win and was always a contender in the 1981-1985 time frame. Tim Richmond had become my second favorite driver, based on his performances in Indy cars, and I followed him until he had to step out of the seat. With Gant's and Richmond's fortunes on the slide, I started really following Rusty Wallace, who I had watched in ASA cars. I road the Wallace bandwagon until Penske decided to switch to Ford for 1994. I was always a Hendrick watcher, and with no other drivers that excited me, I latched onto the that Gordon kid, who had to that point only shown glimpses of what was to come. I never in my wildest dreams would have believed how that would turn out. As I've mentioned here before, I started watching Jimmie Johnson as an ASA rookie, mainly because of how much I admired his crew chief, Howie Lettow. I followed him up to Busch, and then was as stunned as anybody when HMS signed him. Once again, I never in a million years would have guessed how that one would turn out either. When Gordon was getting close to the end, it was pretty easy to see who the heir apparent to the 24 was, and while I was never a Bill Elliott fan, I did have a lot of respect for him, so moving on to Chase was a very easy transition for me. Oh yeah, I've followed several other drivers I thought were going to be the real deal that never really panned out, like Ricky Craven and Johnny Benson Jr, but they were never my #1 guy. Had Rick Hendrick or some other GM team signed Mark Martin back in the late 80's I probably would have been a Martin fan for the next two decades.

Not me, which is ironic because I'm a hardcore Gordon fan, although I started pulling for him in '93 before he ever won a Cup race. But I have other guys I really like outside of Hendrick that haven't been successful. Buescher for example.

Jason Keller was my favorite BGN driver, and he didn't win very often. He became my favorite in '95 and I think he only had one career win before '99.

Just for the record, I never said elite, I said better than 60% of the drivers that still have rides next year. That's not to say he COULDN'T become elite, who knows? Until about 2017, my opinion of Martin Truex Jr. was about the same as what many of you think about Matty D.
See also Bowman.

I pulled for Jimmy Spencer for years, and I didn't start following NASCAR until after he notched his wins. I started following Matt Kenseth when I watched him shove Tony Stewart out of the way at Rockingham for his first Busch win. That was well before Matt moved up to Cup.

I don't pull for anyone in particular at the moment. It's quite enjoyable to watch a race without having to worry about how any one driver is doing.

Ol' Butt Chin was good stuff!

I so miss the old BGN days when it was a neat mix of up and comers and BGN lifers, and all the great tracks that Cup DIDN'T go to like Hickory and Myrtle Beach, IRP and Nazereth. Jason Keller, David Green, Robert Pressley, Dennis Setzer, Tommy Ellis. It was just a simpler time and seemed so much more fun. It was it's own unique product and not Cup Lite like it is now.

I so miss the old BGN days when it was a neat mix of up and comers and BGN lifers, and all the great tracks that Cup DIDN'T go to like Hickory and Myrtle Beach, IRP and Nazereth. Jason Keller, David Green, Robert Pressley, Dennis Setzer, Tommy Ellis. It was just a simpler time and seemed so much more fun. It was it's own unique product and not Cup Lite like it is now.

you are right about that. BGNS had it’s own identity, and it added so much depth to the series having drivers of various ages and experience levels

as a kid, The parents took me into nascar cafe the weekend of the myrtle beach race in 96 and got to go down the line and say hello to Keller, Glen Allen Jr, Randy Lajoie & Curtis Markingham

Those dudes represented the sport very well and were very kind to whatever kid questions I asked them

Last edited:
Wish I could like this post a million times.

you are right about that. BGNS had it’s own identity, and it added so much depth to the series having drivers of various ages and experience levels

as a kid, The parents took me into nascar cafe the weekend of the myrtle beach race in 96 and got to go down the line and say hello to Keller, Glen Allen Jr, Randy Lajoie & Curtis Markingham

Those dudes represented the sport very well and were very kind to whatever kid questions I asked them
I miss the NASCAR Cafe. The Rockingham Ribeye was awesome.

Back
Top Bottom