2024 Weather

It’s been beautiful here in SoCal.
Out on the deck on the southeastern coast of NC for the third evening in a row. Low 70s, breezy, cold cider, birds are singing, terrier chasing her squeaky toy, ... and the builder for our new house just went out of business. Probably means I should have at least one more cider and watch the sun set over the salt marsh.

Out on the deck on the southeastern coast of NC for the third evening in a row. Low 70s, breezy, cold cider, birds are singing, terrier chasing her squeaky toy, ... and the builder for our new house just went out of business. Probably means I should have at least one more cider and watch the sun set over the salt marsh.
Damit man, that sucks!

Damit man, that sucks!
There are lots of ways it could be worse. We're likely out our $7500 earnest money, but that's all we've spent so far. Fortunately, there's a home construction backlog in coastal southeastern NC, with high demand for materials and scheduling backlogs for subcontractors. It was going to late June before ground was broken, so construction hadn't started yet. We're not one of those other customers with $500k to $1.5 mil tied up in materials and labor in a half-finished house. Between those customers and what the contractors and suppliers are owed, we'll probably have to eat our comparatively small amount.

We still have the lot, and there's always our fall-back plan: Mom's house half a mile away in the same neighborhood.

There are lots of ways it could be worse. We're likely out our $7500 earnest money, but that's all we've spent so far. Fortunately, there's a home construction backlog in coastal southeastern NC, with high demand for materials and scheduling backlogs for subcontractors. It was going to late June before ground was broken, so construction hadn't started yet. We're not one of those other customers with $500k to $1.5 mil tied up in materials and labor in a half-finished house. Between those customers and what the contractors and suppliers are owed, we'll probably have to eat our comparatively small amount.

We still have the lot, and there's always our fall-back plan: Mom's house half a mile away in the same neighborhood.
Story to hear this bud. Hope you get your cash back.

We were in a moderate risk for severe storms, including tornadoes. Our shot at storms is pretty much over…without any thunderstorm or tornado warnings issued. Seems yesterday may have been underplayed and today was overplayed. It’s not over for the SE part of the state, but here in Wichita, we definitely didn’t get what they said we would.

We were in a moderate risk for severe storms, including tornadoes. Our shot at storms is pretty much over…without any thunderstorm or tornado warnings issued. Seems yesterday may have been underplayed and today was overplayed. It’s not over for the SE part of the state, but here in Wichita, we definitely didn’t get what they said we would.

That's a good thing, correct?

That's a good thing, correct?
Absolutely! Just odd it wasn’t more accurate for my location. Even the local weatherman was shocked that there were hardly any hail reports as the forecast called for widespread Hail up to baseball size.
Plus, I know several events were cancelled and proms were moved from “fun” venues to the high school gyms as a safety precaution. It’s always nice when it doesn’t get as bad as it was forecasted to be, but the problem is that the next time we are in a moderate or high risk, people may not take the warning seriously.

It’s always nice when it doesn’t get as bad as it was forecasted to be, but the problem is that the next time we are in a moderate or high risk, people may not take the warning seriously.
We see that in the southeast with hurricanes. New arrivals get through a few tropical storms or category 1 hurricanes. They think they have it figured out and don't leave when a cat 4 comes along. Then they're screaming at a 911 operator to send first responders out in 125mph winds and sideways rain coming down at 2" an hour.

The same area Elkhorn Nebraska.

I live in Elkhorn, about a mile away from where those shots were taken and where the tornado swept through. Spent part of the weekend helping with cleanup. It's been a very sobering experience to realize how close it was. I was trying to pick up my son from school as the storm was rolling in, and as it became clear that they were sheltering inside the school due to the tornado warning, I raced home and the rest of us went to the basement. After the storm had passed, our thought was "That wasn't so bad. We've had a lot worse." A few tree branches down, but that's it. We didn't know anything was really wrong until the seemingly unending parade of emergency vehicles started roaring by. It's amazing how catastrophic yet narrow the path of these things can be.

Back
Top Bottom