#24 Team Being Investigated For Tape Gate

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
First I'd like to say this work is none of my own, credit goes to poster(s) on r/nascar subreddit.

Chase Elliott's #24 car's spoiler was modified with tape pre-race and demodified post-race. Supposedly this super sticky tape added ~40 lbs of downforce and improve laptimes by .2 second/lap.

7Y20MhL.jpg

Modification being removed post race:

First I'd like to say this work is none of my own, credit goes to poster(s) on r/nascar subreddit.

Chase Elliott's #24 car's spoiler was modified with tape pre-race and demodified post-race. Supposedly this super sticky tape added ~40 lbs of downforce and improve laptimes by .2 second/lap.

7Y20MhL.jpg

Video evidence. LOL. This will probably get interesting.

nope those huge raised ridges on the front fenders and raised portion of the the hood on the yoters is legal. they don't need to cheat. o_O they don't add any advantage like a piece of tape right?

Back in the day, Nascar used to give some brands more spoiler to even things up. I think the 24 needs even more.

Probably because of that big gap in the middle of the spoiler with the tape coming off and flapping in the breeze?:D

Probably because of that big gap in the middle of the spoiler with the tape coming off and flapping in the breeze?:D
lol sure on a zoomed in photo. But over the years teams would add tape around the car. I guess someone inside a team would have to have caught that

Does anybody have a video link or photo of this that actually shows something? I'm at work and my computer won't let me get into reddit.

Apparently a source told the OP of that thread to "look closely at that 24 spoiler"
Its not just the spoiler IMO.

That photo might expose the c-pillar window caved in, much like Keselowski's driver side door.

7Y20MhL.jpg

Interesting. Were you being sarcastic with the downforce and laptime figures? lol

I'm not sure the video shows them removing anything though, at least it didn't appear to.

Welp, slap 'em with a penalty if they're in the wrong here, but I'd heavily dispute that this is where they got their speed. The last 3 years they have been fast at Chicago, even with JG.

Nothing will come out of this except NASCAR will be looking at everyone's spoilers both pre and post race.

:laugh:

In the video it looks to me like maybe the big guy is trying to press the tape back down? I don't know hard to tell really what's going on there. But I don't see anyone peeling off or removing anything.

Will be interesting to see if this blows up into anything LOL

BTW I'm a little skeptical about the downforce claims for this tiny strip of tape LOL but who knows.

Are we talking about the strip of tape that covers the gap in the rear spoiler sections?

Guess they were expecting a win sooner than this so they decided to cheat up the car to help.

I dont blame them. The 78 is doing something and getting away with it.

And before you all cry about that comment...no I dont think every single Toyota is on the cheat. That one 78 team sure seems like it though.

Calling it now: Gustafson to the #48 team, for New Hampshire and beyond :)

Edit: Probably should've waited for Detective Keselowski to weight in, but just couldn't do it.

Now that I'm home and I can see these photos and video, what a joke. I can't believe anyone wasted five seconds of their time to put this conspiracy together. :bsflag:I looks to me like a piece of the NASCAR MANDATED (and probably supplied) green tape that they had all of the Chase teams put on their spoilers and air dams started to come off during the race. It looks like the crew member was trying to stick it back down, if anything. Trust me, this is much ado about nothing.

Reactions: Pat
Now that I'm home and I can see these photos and video, what a joke. I can't believe anyone wasted five seconds of their time to put this conspiracy together. :bsflag:I looks to me like a piece of the NASCAR MANDATED (and probably supplied) green tape that they had all of the Chase teams put on their spoilers and air dams started to come off during the race. It looks like the crew member was trying to stick it back down, if anything. Trust me, this is much ado about nothing.

What facts are you presenting to back up your claims here?

That crew guy clearly didn't remove anything... If anything he pressed the tape back down. So that it would be found in inspection if there was anything wrong of course. Whoever took the time to put this together is seriously reaching.

Back
Top Bottom