3 Day Race at Atomic (Ohio)

J

johnnythunderhead

hopefully i'll be able to make it over to atomic speedway for the fri & sat nite portions of this non wing 410, winged 410 and modified triple header. glad to see this track re-opened and glad to see em running a non wing show. only a two hour trip from the nati/ I suspect this'll be the last one of the season for me, but I thought that 2 shows ago, so who knows? any more non wing sprint shows within a couple hours of the nati comin up???

opted not to go tonite (thurs) and learned that only 23 non wing cars showed up (I expected closer to 50, as I'm sure did the promoter) that means just an 8 car b-main for them tomorrow nite (I'm not all that interested in the winged sprints and not at all interested in the mods, so I'm def not going for that 8 car b main). then sat nite its $35.00 bucks for 3 fast car dashes and 3 features/ not much bang for the buck there) still debating if I want to go at all now. My advise for promoters, if you're running a 3 nite show for 3 classes of racing, run a complete show, including b mains and features each nite, just run a longer feature the last nite for the big $/ if you don't want to do that run a complete show each night for one or perhaps 2 OF THE CLASSES, OR YOU'LL END UP WITH A SCENERIO LIKE THIS AND WONDER WHY YOU LOST $/ yes I am hard to please but I am a paying customer (best of luck to you either way!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't stand when they stretch out a show that could be 1 or 2 days into a 3 day show... I'm usually coming from a long distance, don't mind the long drive, but that time commitment of being there for 3 days... And I've either gotta sleep in the car or pay for expensive hotel rooms, often not worth it... Would definitely be much better to see features at these type of events every night, could justify it much more. Was considering a couple of events for this weekend but they were both 3 day shows, so I just opted to stay home. I'm self employed, work from home, so when I'm at the races, i'm making less money... Time is money...

agreed Toledo, I too am self employed and work from home. it looks to me like they're just trying to milk more money out of the paying fan base by stretching things out like this. I know a 3 class program including (time trials, heat races, dashes and c, b and a mains for each class) can be run in one night, Eldora just did it with sprintacular (b o s s 410 sprints, ascoc 410 winged sprints and nra 360 winged sprints) and charged less for that entire show ($25.00) than what atomic is charging for the sat nite show ($35.00) which just consists of 3 fast car dashes and the a main features for the non wing sprints,, the winged sprints and the mods. but it'll prolly be the last race in my scope of travel and it is going to be a nice day for a 2 hr. 1-way drive, so i'll prolly go this time/ but hopefully this new promoter will wise up next year.

They also get to sell beer and food for three nights. It sucks for the teams too, hotel rooms for extra days, and if they have volunteer crew, some of those guys gotta get time from work..
I don't even mind the ticket costs so much, its the time for me. Especially since dirt races don't typically have much going on before 6 or 7, I just have to sit around all day with nothing to do. I slightly considered this race, as well as the Eastern States 200 in NY. But opted to just stay home and work. Too much time for too little payoff...

I agree the cost of the ticket is minimal when compared to gas and other travel expenses, motel food, etc, and may be the reason the non wing sprint car count is down (they had to show up on thurs to be part of the show, while the winged sprints didn't need to show up till fri. to be in the show) if you're expecting race teams to be at your command for 3 nights, you need to give them the opportunity of a feature race and pay each nite to make it worth it to them/ this crap of heat aces one nite, c and b mains another and the a main the last IS GREAT FOR A PROMOTER (IF IT WORKS) BUT SUCKS FOR THE RACE TEAMS AND FANS (WITHOUT WHICH THE PROMOTER CANNOT EXIST) I am assuming that no more non wing sprints can enter the race at this point, seeing how the heat races have now been run (there was no need for a c main)

well I made the trip north out of the hills of the queen city into the fertle and flat farm lands of ohio and then east into the hills of south central and a lovely day and trip it was, glad I did too, saw some lovely countryside and some excellent racing in all 3 divisions. I was quite proud of my f b friend Robert ballou (who I've watched since he dedicated his summers to Indiana from cali) for picking up a hard fought win in his new ride (the 33M, a car he had worked on in his shop for the past 2 weeks to transform it into a rocket ) in the n w sprints, also proud of dale blaney (who I've watched since his first season in a sprint car at sharon speedway) for his dominating win in the winged sprints. ballou has worked his tail off with a very meager budget and has had a great season with quite a few big wins and many podiums, while blaney has ran some 60 races having won more than 20 of them this season (how many drivers do you know who have won 1/3 of the races they've entered?) I think the new promoters are quick learners too, they announced that next years 'open wheel chamionships' will be cut back from this years 3 day marathon into a 2 day affair to be run july 31st and aug. 1st. with the n w sprints and mods running complete shows on the 31st for $5 g's to win / and the winged guys running a complete show on the 1st for a whopping 20 g's!. congratulations to them for what seems to have been a great 1st season at the high bank 3/8th's mile track. I guess my only complaint about tonites show was the excessive amount of dust. the track was smooth and fast, but was very dusty (no one likes being sand blasted) and hopefully they'll get a handle on that issue next year too, it takes a lot of work and a lot of water, but the ted Johnson dry slicks that ohio has become known for are not conducive to what the race fans want/ and I do remember ohio tracks in the pre-ted johnson days when they were tacky all nite long and were dust free and racey as hell (sure would like to see them that way again!) I was happy to see some friends who made a trek all the way from central pa. for the 3 nite show, who were also quite pleased with the action, but who also did not approve of the 'ohio dry slick' track conditions, stating that such conditions are not found in central pa! but once again, besides eating some dust, i highly recommend ya'll putting atomic speedway (just south of chillocothe, oh.) on your bucket list for 2015 as I saw some great racing and enjoyed myself, and i'll most certainly be there come 7-31-15 for more (god willing), if not sooner (the more n w sprint car racing they have, the more likely they are to see my butt in their stands, hint hint!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom