35 Car Cup Field Next Year?

KTMLew01

Team Owner
Sure doesn't look good for a bunch of major teams struggling for sponsorship. Won't surprise me to see another contraction of the series. We be heading to 30 car fields not too many years down the road.

The 2018 team chart shows 38 full time teams, of course many things can change between now and the D500, and there are still a few teams that have not set their 2018 plans yet , so its too early to know how many full time teams there are going to be next year.

36 charters guarantee 36 car fields at the least. Now I think NASCAR should up the charters to 40 if they want 40 car fields and then allow for 3 nin charter teams if any.

NASCAR’s new charter system allows for two companies to split the Cup Series title sponsorship, an increase in the number of franchise charters from 36 to as many as 40, and provides financially struggling teams the ability to be propped up for as long as a year.

There also are provisions in the deal that allow NASCAR to acquire or support the operations of a team for up to a year if it determines that doing so is in the best interest of the sport.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/.../11/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/Charter.aspx

Would NASCAR like to do this, probably not, and they probably wouldn't be very public about it. But they certainly could do it - the France family helped fund CGR's Grand-Am team when they were trying to make Grand-Am a thing. And IndyCar usually helps put together some Indy 500 operations to get to 33 entries each May.

How about a list of fully sponsored cars for next season? I'm thinking 25 or so. SHR alone has ONE car funded.
Do you believe SHR won't field at least three cars next year? A lack of official confirmation this early in the game doesn't mean programs won't materialize. Daytona is over six months away. And Gene has gone on the record saying one of their partners tends to wait until the last month to finalize stuff.

Teams need sponsors. In today's world seems like half-dozen per season. How many cars in Cup have one sponsor? Lowes, Target (last season), ?????

It could be but I have not heard of any demand for them recently as IDK who doesn't have one that needs one.
Anyone currently leasing that wants to continue. The Wood Brothers, for example .. they have to buy ( or lease from a different lessor).

Teams need sponsors. In today's world seems like half-dozen per season. How many cars in Cup have one sponsor? Lowes, Target (last season), ?????
Miller Lite was asked by Penske to commit to a shorter slate so they could put more on the car.

AdvoCare
FedEx
GEICO
Shell-Pennzoil
Mars
Smithfield

Maybe you could nitpick a little but those all put up 30+ races.

Miller Lite was asked by Penske to commit to a shorter slate so they could put more on the car.

AdvoCare
FedEx
GEICO
Shell-Pennzoil
Mars
Smithfield

Maybe you could nitpick a little but those all put up 30+ races.
So 10 cars with full sponsorship? I mean ONE sponsor and not 6-10 associate sponsors that require a different paint scheme <don't get me started on this crap> every other week.

So 10 cars with full sponsorship? I mean ONE sponsor and not 6-10 associate sponsors that require a different paint scheme <don't get me started on this crap> every other week.
I'm surprised team owners would stoop to accepting millions of dollars from sponsors who refuse to ante up for a full season. :rolleyes:

Sorry. you lost me. I never mentioned charters. If no sponsor the charter is worthless IMO.
Not surprised.

The question was posed by Mr. Bandit, not you. Perhaps you have inadvertently placed him on ignore.

Anyone currently leasing that wants to continue. The Wood Brothers, for example .. they have to buy ( or lease from a different lessor).

There is a good workaround for teams leasing charters as they just need to work together and cooperate on divvying up the owners who are leasing their charters. I would assume Penske would want to purchase a charter for their new team but I am unsure who they would acquire in from

There is a good workaround for teams leasing charters as they just need to work together and cooperate on divvying up the owners who are leasing their charters. I would assume Penske would want to purchase a charter for their new team but I am unsure who they would acquire in from
Charters can be leased for 1season only. After that, the owner of said charter must use it himself or sell it.

Charters can be leased for 1season only. After that, the owner of said charter must use it himself or sell it.

Gotcha. I think everyone that needs one will be able to get something worked out in time but it may be coming to the point where Nascar takes some charters back and redistribute them.

Hmm - there are options. Maybe the #77 FRR. An SHR entry if they contract. #23 BKR if they exit or go to a reduced schedule. Maybe purchase the #44 or #16 outright. A lot can happen. It'll get done.

The going rate for a full season used to be around $20-25 million. Appears as though it's getting tough to find a $10 million sponsor.
Kauffman sold his for 1/2 of that and ever since teams have been lending them in an effort to keep them. I doubt you could get 5 million today for a charter. It is only worth the difference in the pay check for a teams usual finish position.

Forget 2018, the entry list for this week at Watkins Glen only sits at 36.

Back
Top Bottom