40 years ago today, Lynyrd Skynyrds plane crashed in Mississippi

The band and the plane crash were well before my time, but Lynyrd Skynyrd was one of the first bands I got into when I started listening to music in high school.

I first heard the full rendition of "Sweet Home Alabama" on NASCAR Thunder 2002 and really liked it, so I looked them up online. I had previously heard somewhere that they were a racist band, based primarily on a misinterpretation of some of the lyrics from that song and the fact that they waved the Confederate flag. A little research quickly proved that statement false. I then listened to "Simple Man," and I liked that one a lot too.

Eventually, I stumbled across a random comment section on an article about Skynyrd, and one of the people on there said "go listen to The Ballad of Curtis Loew and tell me they're racist." I did, and from that moment on, I was hooked.

I mean, that's just good music, man. Even back then, I knew it.

The best stuff hardly ever was played on the radio. They were great. My brother attended their last concert here in Greenville.
The plane plane crashed the day before my 16th birthday.
I have probably spent more time listening to Skynyrd, the old line up with Ronnie than any other band. They were great.

Back
Top Bottom