50th anniversary of the moon landing July 20th

DanicaFreak

2021 Big Gator winner <Green Monster>
Amazing. Literally out of this world, humans walked on another celestial body.

Id be curious to see how some of our members spent that day in '69

@dpkimmel2001 ?
@Johali ?

come on you baby boomers.....

My mother and I were glued to the television, I was worried about the safety of the astronauts

I can imagine!!!

no one really knew what would happen to armstrongs foot when he stepped off the footpad of the LM.....

I had just graduated from college and was preparing for my first teaching job.
Was absolutely fascinated by the video. Couldn't do anything but watch and keep the fingers and toes crossed that they would make it.
Don't think I really breathed until they took off and rejoined the orbiting capsule.

I was just a young dp at the time. Growing up in that era was awesome. I always have had a fascination with all things related to space and space travel. The main thing I remember is being glued to the television watching the coverage. It's absolutely amazing what can be done when everyone comes together to work as one. Something that we're likely to never witness again.

I was just a young dp at the time. Growing up in that era was awesome. I always have had a fascination with all things related to space and space travel. The main thing I remember is being glued to the television watching the coverage. It's absolutely amazing what can be done when everyone comes together to work as one. Something that we're likely to never witness again.
The End of the World may be televised.

The thing l remember most was the paper cut out kits that the Gulf gas station was giving away at the time.

I was excited to get one but as a boy l quickly ruined it and it was probably was thrown in the trash by my parents.
20190701_082105.jpg
20190701_082132.jpg

But it wasn't a total loss because that's how l figured it out. All they needed was a big sandbox, a creative photographer and the paper kits to get boys like me to ask Dad to fill up at the Gulf gas stations.

No problem Hou$ton
Screenshot_20190701-081830_Chrome.jpg

Burnished in my mind forever is a night more than a dozen years before the moon landing. We had just returned home from a visit to Grandaddy's farm in Crozet, Virginia, a journey of 100 miles. We were in the garage, getting stuff out of the car, when it happened... my parents firmly and definitively informed me that people had never actually been to the moon.

It was the worst night of my life. All those cool lunar expeditions existed just in comic books. And Mars? Same thing. Venus? Yep.

Fast forward to July 20, 1969... Somehow, I had survived that traumatic childhood moment, went to college, home for a summer job, and two work crews met up at a tiny split level home with a TV room. I was nervous about it getting caught goofing off on company time. When the department manager showed up with the beer, I could finally relax. I recall the total awe we all felt that day, and the sense of pride for the USA.

The thing l remember most was the paper cut out kits that the Gulf gas station was giving away at the time.

I was excited to get one but as a boy l quickly ruined it and it was probably was thrown in the trash by my parents. View attachment 40711 View attachment 40712

But it wasn't a total loss because that's how l figured it out. All they needed was a big sandbox, a creative photographer and the paper kits to get boys like me to ask Dad to fill up at the Gulf gas stations.

No problem Hou$ton View attachment 40713

If you had one of those kits in mint condition today it would prob with worth something...

We were lucky to see it, although the video was poor quality and we viewed it on a black and white tv.
Ditto. Watched it on a black-and-white TV although at least we had cable (lived in WV where rabbit ears wouldn't pick up anything).

Whilst watching the 50 year anniversary of the significant event I totally forgot that I have a copy of the newspaper from my city of that day...... Bought off our kinda ebay about 10 years ago for like $3
4ab27473220dc3f5b2ddb56de13c1561.jpg
edb39a9565a1217160789fa833751452.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom