87' 944s possible engine choices?

L

L33TRacing

I am new to this forum and am hoping you all could help me but pointing me in the right direction.
Me and a friend are trying make a 944 track car pretty much just to scream up and down the local roads and tracks in the bay area and for promoting an up and coming clothing brand , but have no ideas on the powerhouse we want to put into it. I have experience in building small and big block Ford and Chevy engines and It would be nice if we could go with that route but I do not know the race dynamics of the various candidates(302,351w or C, 427,454,392, LS anything )or how each block likes being used in a racing environment. Wich of these choices( or any other power plants that you may have come across in your lifetimes of racing ) would be best for fulfilling these requirements
1.We were looking for rwhp to be in mid to high 4s
2. Not too heavy
3.will actually fit in the 944
4.not excessively heavy
5.quick to get high in the rpms
6.idealy needs torque in the low to mid 4s
7. Not excessively expensive(I will most likely build it)

This is going to be the first complete build we do and we are relying on information from this site to guide in the right direction. Looking forward to seeing what you guys think:) :)

You forgot to include your budget.
Changing the brand/type of motor in any car requires changing the drivetrain also (trans, rear end) and a lot of modification. Not sure that your stock 944 differential will last around the block with 400hp ( I believe the car has IRS.) I believe your car is a frameless, unibody construction car. Not designed to withstand 400rwhp. You have to fab motor mounts, crossmembers, sub-frames, etc. You don't want to throw together a shadetree set-up that mechanically fails on the highway, endangering you or others.
The sky is the limit depending on budget. Anything can be built if you have enough money. Small block Chevy, small block Ford? To turbo or not to turbo...
I suggest you seek a reputable, local builder and go from there. Building motors is one thing, building a complete compatible, reliable performance drivetrain and putting it in a vehicle for which it is not designed should be left up to professionals, IMO.

I greatly appreciate your advice you saved us from a expensive mistake seeing that we were going to buy the car tomorrow your help is greatly appreciated . I do not have the depth of knowledge on chassis enough to accurately determine how much hp a given setup will withstand and I apologize if questions like this are looked down upon by people who have more depth of knowledge in the subject than me. Because you show that you have a basic understanding on builds like mine I have a question for you if you are willing to answer . What platforms do you recommend using with a small block Ford design? I would like the option to supercharge it on a later date as well, over time the budget for the engine will be around 8-9k and we have decided to go with a big or small block Ford... Also if you are willing to recommend me to possible platforms I can use with larger displacement engines such as these, including them in the response would be greatly appreciated.

What do you mean "platforms"?
Do you have any fabrication experience with regard to subframes, engine cradles, suspension? Do you have a shop and the necessary tools and equipment? If not then, I suggest you find someone local to you that can help you.
You would be better off selecting a vehicle where the engine would be a "bolt-in." Modifying a car to take another brand drivetrain is a money pit. Whatever you think it's going to cost, figure on at least doubling that figure. It's also going to take you at least twice as long to complete the project than you had planned.
For instance, I built a mild motor for my '72 pick up. I did all of the work myself except for the head porting and block machining. I assembled the engine myself using new and reconditioned parts. I installed the engine and made the necessary frame modifications for header clearance. The engine cost me $7000 alone. I overhauled the trans myself and that cost about $300. Driveshaft was $400. Exhaust was $1000. It adds up quickly.

What do you mean "platforms"?
Do you have any fabrication experience with regard to subframes, engine cradles, suspension? Do you have a shop and the necessary tools and equipment? If not then, I suggest you find someone local to you that can help you.
You would be better off selecting a vehicle where the engine would be a "bolt-in." Modifying a car to take another brand drivetrain is a money pit. Whatever you think it's going to cost, figure on at least doubling that figure. It's also going to take you at least twice as long to complete the project than you had planned.
For instance, I built a mild motor for my '72 pick up. I did all of the work myself except for the head porting and block machining. I assembled the engine myself using new and reconditioned parts. I installed the engine and made the necessary frame modifications for header clearance. The engine cost me $7000 alone. I overhauled the trans myself and that cost about $300. Driveshaft was $400. Exhaust was $1000. It adds up quickly.

I'll extend that post to say that if you think you can build a motor now, then add boost later, you can't. At the least, you have to change head gaskets, at the most, you have to change pistons. your ignition and oiling systems change a little. Your fuel system changes substantially. That's why we are keeping our good motor NA and building an all-aluminum supercharged motor. It's the same price.

Back
Top Bottom