8th Grade Boy And Aspiring NASCAR Driver Earns VIP Tickets (Plus Much More) To St. Louis Race

Tumbleweed

Team Owner
For all the stories of bad and troubled kids this days, it's great to see a story like this.

Wants to be a NASCAR driver and has 4.0 Grade Point Average as well. I wouldn't bet against seeing him in Cup someday. His grandfather's car broke down so he went ahead and walked 6.5 miles to his school for graduation. People were so impressed by his determination that he was awarded a full college scholarship and in addition, Dolphins tackle Terron Arrmstead and Bommarito Auto gave him a new e-bike and his family a new minivan. He also got free VIP tickets for him and his brother to the St. Louis NASCAR race.

Props to all involved in making that happen and especially to the boy himself. Bolding is mine.

>>ST. LOUIS — Before stepping on stage for his eighth-grade graduation, a St. Louis teen walked for two hours to attend the ceremony, covering 6.5 miles to receive his diploma.

Xavier Jones took more than 10,000 steps to receive his diploma at Yeatman Middle School on May 22, capturing the hearts of his classmates, a university president and a pair of NFL players, KTVI reported.

He would be rewarded with a future scholarship, an electric bicycle and a $40,000 minivan for his family.

Jones, 14, had few options on graduation day. His disabled grandfather, who has been raising the teen since his mother died several years ago, was unable to drive to downtown St. Louis. The man’s car was not working that day, the television station reported...

...“I remember something Mr. Seals told me. He said, ‘If I want it, I got to go get it,’” Jones told KTVI. “So, I wanted to graduate, so I was going to go to my graduation...

...The president’s scholarship from Harris-Stowe covers four years of tuition, books, and fees and will be waiting for Jones when he graduates high school according to KSDK. He will be attending Lift for Life Academy, the television station reported.

“She said, ‘You got a full ride,’ and I said, ‘Do you know what that means,’ and (Jones) said, ‘They’re going to give me a ride to school?’” Seals told KTVI. “I was like, ‘No, you’re getting a ride to college.’ He said, ‘Wait a minute, I don’t have to pay for college?’ Then it started hitting him...”<<

Back
Top Bottom