A glimpse into Monster and motorsport

DanicaFreak

2021 Big Gator winner <Green Monster>
This is the flavour that I feel we will with Monster at the helm.

I hope they redesign the NASCAR logo. The yellow and red dont look good with the green.

http://www.performancegarage.com.au/blog/monster-motorsport

WARNING:the link includes a few ladies of monster work safe.

This brand has a very "young feel" to it.

IMG_6271a_0.jpg

KenBlock_Gymkhana_Calder_20110902_0077.jpg

wrcaus_20110911_0667.jpg

wrcaus2011_2719.jpg

KenBlock_Gymkhana_Calder_20110902_0190.jpg

I guess I don't know what constitutes a 'flavor' or a 'young feel'. There wasn't much content beyond the photos, and they didn't give me any sort of vibe. Just stock photos from various forms of motorsports. You could have changed the paint and this article could have applied to almost any sponsor.

I'm not criticizing your post. I didn't learn anything about Monster's sponsorships in the kind of detail needed to form an opinion. But thanks!

They are not changing my TRD red valve covers to green. Just no. :D

I guess I don't know what constitutes a 'flavor' or a 'young feel'. There wasn't much content beyond the photos, and they didn't give me any sort of vibe. Just stock photos from various forms of motorsports. You could have changed the paint and this article could have applied to almost any sponsor.

I'm not criticizing your post. I didn't learn anything about Monster's sponsorships in the kind of detail needed to form an opinion. But thanks!

I dunno-when I look at the paint schemes, they scream "edgey" to me. Like I dont care I am doing what I want.

This might help:

[LIST=1 said:
[*]15. Creative Strategy ● Who does the advertising talking to? ○ Our print ads talk to women 18-34 with busy and active lifestyles, whereas our commercial speaks to everyday men who are working professionals. ● What single benefit should the advertising promise? ○ Monster will give you the boost you need to beast through your daily drag or the boost you need to accomplish adventures such as snowboarding. ● Why should the consumer believe you? ○ Monster is a leading energy drink brand. In 2012, the brand held 23.6% of shares in the energy drinks category. Over the years, the beverage corporation has sponsored events such as the world famous Isle of MAN TT races and has been the lead sponsor of the Speedway Grand Prix and Speedway World Cup in 2012.45 Events like these establish the brands reputation. If Monster is capable of getting Kyle Busch through 500 laps at Daytona, it can get you through that extra set of push-ups and math problems. ● What does the consumer think now?46,47 ○ Currently, they think the brand is grungy and intense. They believe users of the product are typically involved in BMX or other extreme sports. The brand is also perceived as an underground or non-mainstream product. Consumers can easily recognize Monster’s products because of the iconic “M.” ● What do you want the consumer to think after seeing the advertising? ○ The goal of the campaign is to show consumers how Monster can be a reliable source of energy for any type of occasion. Monster can provide energy for tasks as extreme as women running marathons or as routine as students trying to study. The Monster brand must be approachable and its products must be applicable to a one’s everyday life. The ads will show that people can accomplish anything with Monster on their side.
[/LIST]

I think the biggest difference with Monster compared to other sponsors is that Monster is more of a lifestyle brand (the term 'Lifestyle in a can' is often used). It's more than just energy drinks, young people gravitate towards Monster because they are constantly pushing action/extreme sports, hot girls, parties, etc. Here is a decent article explaining it (http://www.thedrum.com/opinion/2016/10/07/how-monster-energy-built-brand-love-without-paid-media).

Monster's sponsorship may ultimately alienate some of the older fans that have followed Nascar for years, but that will be offset by the number of new fans the sponsorship will bring in. At a time when Nascar is struggling with dropping attendance and TV viewers, Monster is the perfect choice to get things back on the right track.

I think that Monster should do something for the older set, say Dale Sr fans, as well..I like the direction, but hope they dont forget the past entirely.

I think that Monster should do something for the older set, say Dale Sr fans, as well..I like the direction, but hope they dont forget the past entirely.
It will be interesting to see how that is handled. I think the "get off my lawn" portion of the fan base will be looking for a reason to not like the new sponsor.

I dunno-when I look at the paint schemes, they scream "edgey" to me. Like I dont care I am doing what I want.
Interesting. What I get from the paint schemes is 'green on black' and 'green and white on black'. Nothing I would call edgy or impulsive, at least no more so than Patron or Interstate 'green on black'. o_O

The list was informative from a marketing perspective. Any suggestions how to read that slideshow? The friggin' thing came through too small for me to see!

Interesting. What I get from the paint schemes is 'green on black' and 'green and white on black'. Nothing I would call edgy or impulsive, at least no more so than Patron or Interstate 'green on black'. o_O

The list was informative from a marketing perspective. Any suggestions how to read that slideshow? The friggin' thing came through too small for me to see!
hit the "two arrows" bottom right

I think the biggest difference with Monster compared to other sponsors is that Monster is more of a lifestyle brand (the term 'Lifestyle in a can' is often used). It's more than just energy drinks, young people gravitate towards Monster because they are constantly pushing action/extreme sports, hot girls, parties, etc. Here is a decent article explaining it (http://www.thedrum.com/opinion/2016/10/07/how-monster-energy-built-brand-love-without-paid-media).

Monster's sponsorship may ultimately alienate some of the older fans that have followed Nascar for years, but that will be offset by the number of new fans the sponsorship will bring in. At a time when Nascar is struggling with dropping attendance and TV viewers, Monster is the perfect choice to get things back on the right track.
It will be interesting to see how that is handled. I think the "get off my lawn" portion of the fan base will be looking for a reason to not like the new sponsor.
I don't see them running me off, at least as long as they don't change the racing itself.

Maybe I'm no longer defining myself by my possessions and purchases. I don't know that I ever much was. At one point in my 20s and 30s, I would only buy Levi's jeans. That's probably as close as I've come to defining myself by a brand. That ended when they changed their products to being more about fashionable and less practical. Now I buy Wranglers, mostly because I can order them with a 28" inseam.

I still don't get 'lifestyle branding'. cheesepuffs has been trying to get this through my skull. It obviously differs from marketing for exclusivity, aimed at customers who buy particular brands so they can be seen with them. I don't think my current consumer habits include anything I would define as a lifestyle, nothing I do because a particular brand is associated with it. Mostly I've defined myself more by what I do than what I buy.

Yeah, I got that. I need to make the whole thing larger.

Never mind. I copied the URL and I'll tweak the slide numbers manually. Thanks.

This might help:

Slide 12 was particularly interesting, although I don't know how many women they'll be able to appeal to with the slogan 'Release the Beast Within'. I can't imagine too many women would want to think of themselves as beasts. It doesn't particularly appeal to me, for that matter. It gives me images of short-tempered, fly-off-the-handle types, of which I was once one myself.

I noticed little mention of motorsports sponsorship, and none of NASCAR at all. I wonder how old this is? I also noticed nothing about expanding their market into what I consider the traditional NASCAR fan. I still don't get how this sponsorship will help Monster sell product.

Thanks. The slide show was the type of content I was hoping to find in this discussion.

As an 'older fan' , I love the idea . I think it is a breath of fresh air into the sport . I'll be disappointed if it doesn't bring a ton of new attention and some new fans . I have the impression that it is a brand that is known outside of North America as well ? I could be wrong . But I see that is a big plus too.

I'm not sure what a sponsor could do to alienate me, as long as they don't screw around with the racing itself. If I could put up with Winston as a fan, I can overlook almost anyone's shenanigans.

Sprint was kinda blah . I didn't sense the Monster excitement nor the Winston type marketing .

Sprint was kinda blah . I didn't sense the Monster excitement nor the Winston type marketing .

A lot of people thought Sprint would attract young people because it was a cell phone company.

Although, Sprint/Nextel pretty much became an afterthought in the smartphone era. When the iPhone came out, followed by LG and Motorola's phones, Sprint had the unfortunate deal of having terrible service and not having any cool phones to attract anyone.

I joined AT&T initially solely because of the iPhone. Millions of other people my age were the same.

Most of the Monster excitement I sense around here falls into two categories:
  • Hey, NASCAR finally landed a Cup sponsor! Let's hope they don't change the racing in a negative way. ('Negative' being defined differently by each poster.)
  • Monster will be good for the sport (although I still don't understand how, beyond sponsorship dollars).
Is there any excitement among Monster's existing customer base? Although that raises the question, 'How would one tell if existing Monster customers care about NASCAR sponsorship?'

Most of the Monster excitement I sense around here falls into two categories:
  • Hey, NASCAR finally landed a Cup sponsor! Let's hope they don't change the racing in a negative way. ('Negative' being defined differently by each poster.)
  • Monster will be good for the sport (although I still don't understand how, beyond sponsorship dollars).
Is there any excitement among Monster's existing customer base? Although that raises the question, 'How would one tell if existing Monster customers care about NASCAR sponsorship?'

You are right , but Monster , (well , all the energy drinks ) seem to work at creating the hooplah. Same as Winston did . Million dollar bonus , give aways at the tracks , stuff going on . I 've been to a couple of Monster events with my grandson and they do a great job . They will make a Nascar event a lot more fun at the race or on tv . Improving attendance will take a lot .

You are right , but Monster , (well , all the energy drinks ) seem to work at creating the hooplah. Same as Winston did . Million dollar bonus , give aways at the tracks , stuff going on . I 've been to a couple of Monster events with my grandson and they do a great job . They will make a Nascar event a lot more fun at the race or on tv . Improving attendance will take a lot .

How? What do they do at the events you've been to that make them fun? A couple of people have posted promotional videos, but promo videos for all sports look the same - girls, fireworks, careful editing, etc. I keep hearing 'Fun' here, and they beat it to death in the original announcement. I'm at the track to watch the race. I don't object to anything else, but I don't know that additional hoopla would draw me otherwise. What's 'fun' at these events, in terms of things that may not happen at existing NASCAR events?

In a way, I'm reminded of the Bristol football game earlier this fall. Most people seemed to agree in advance that the game itself would be unwatchable. They packed the place anyway, and most of what I read said it was a great party but they couldn't see the game at all. I'm also reminded of a steeplechase race held here in SC every spring. It's a huge party, and the college crowd shows up to drink itself sick to the point there's a judge on site for the preliminary hearings, but most of the crowd doesn't make any effort to see a horse race. Is making NASCAR 'fun' more of the same, where people show up for the sideshows but aren't really interested in the core activity? (I've always had fun at the track; maybe my threshold of entertainment is too low. After all, I do watch birds too. I'm told that's the fastest growing outdoor activity in the US. Maybe I'm leading a lifestyle already and don't know it?)

I am with you and in no way am I criticizing DP's post either but I equate flavor with a good steak and I won't cop to what I think a young feel is. I know what the Winston logo looked like but even though I have seen Sprint's logo I could not describe what it looks like.

IDK what makes colors impulsive or edgy either as they are just colors to me. If you want to see edgy catch me at about noon if I haven't had coffee.

I am with you and in no way am I criticizing DP's post either but I equate flavor with a good steak and I won't cop to what I think a young feel is. I know what the Winston logo looked like but even though I have seen Sprint's logo I could not describe what it looks like.
But we're old farts. I doubt Monster is trying to reach us. That slideshow in DF's post #4 indicates we're not who they're interested in.

This is what I don't get about why they're coming to NASCAR. I certainly glad there's a Cup sponsor, but what does Monster gain? Say their existing customers follow them to NASCAR simple because Monster is now here (a motivation I find completely unfathomable). That's still just customers they already have. Why spend more money to hope you can attract them to something they've not shown interest in before? How many existing Monster customers have said, 'Geez, I'd drink more of this stuff if they were involved with a more traditional mainstream motorsport!'?

This whole Monster thing doesn't make a hill of beans difference to me as Campbell's Soup or Palmolive dish detergent would have been just as good. What is strange is normally when someone pays someone else something they expect something back but in this case Monster is paying 20 million clams a year in order to do something for Nascar.

Some of what I am hearing sounds as if the feeling is that Nascar has given Monster carte blanche to do whatever it wants with the series but I don't see it. Maybe they will shoot midgets out of cannons and get the PT Barnum thing going but other than distracting people until the race is on I don't know what others things they could do.

I don't think anyone will stop watching Nascar because of its new title sponsor but I do think some new fans may kick the tires on the series due to Monster's involvement. I could see some young people showing up at a track to party when a race is convenient to get to but I don't think they will watch from home or become die-hard fans. I think Nascar will be the flavor of the week for some and then they will move on to the next great things.

Monster's sponsorship may ultimately alienate some of the older fans that have followed Nascar for years, but that will be offset by the number of new fans the sponsorship will bring in.

Don't know why you think us old timers would leave, all they are doing is changing the commercials and the guys in the booth will be singing Monster praises instead of Sprint. The girls should look as good or better,

But we're old farts. I doubt Monster is trying to reach us. That slideshow in DF's post #4 indicates we're not who they're interested in.

This is what I don't get about why they're coming to NASCAR. I certainly glad there's a Cup sponsor, but what does Monster gain? Say their existing customers follow them to NASCAR simple because Monster is now here (a motivation I find completely unfathomable). That's still just customers they already have. Why spend more money to hope you can attract them to something they've not shown interest in before? How many existing Monster customers have said, 'Geez, I'd drink more of this stuff if they were involved with a more traditional mainstream motorsport!'?

I think that Monster may create some fad fans that burn quickly and then fade away as even people wanting to follow in lockstep with the rules of the lifestyle won't tolerate something they don't find worthwhile after a short period.

A lot of what I have heard and read is that Monster will encourage drivers to drive rough and behave like boors which has no appeal to me but perhaps younger people like that stuff as there are older people that like it too.

Let's face it. They're worthless.

They'll be like Nature's Bakery. Spending more than they earn. Not making money. No-one will eat Fig Bars. Gone in 3 months. :rolleyes:

Who sponsors who or what makes no difference to me.... I have no allegiance whatsoever to any of them... I still buy whatever I like or am used to and am not swayed one tiny bit by any kind of sponsorships or commercials..... Evidently this is not the norm or else companies would not be pouring millions...... (and collectively hundreds of millions a year)... into Nascar advertising....

I didn't really think anything about it at the time but I do remember that Monster had a tire changing competition on a Kyle Busch Infinity car at the pit party at the Super cross race the past couple of years at Anaheim Stadium. It was set up right next to the water show where Monster girls in Monster G-string bikinis would get out of a hot tub and climb up a ladder and slide down in to a small pool. You could sit up in the Monster drink garden and listen to the music that a female DJ was playing while more Monster girls in Monster shorts brought you all the ice cold Monster energy drinks your poor old heart could handle while you were watching the Monster girl water show. By the time I made it up to my buddies suite for the race my heart was working at full max.:)

Well I'm a Dale Sr fan and I'm liking Monster. Do you see the size of the lens in their sunglasses?

I am pretty sure I dont see any sunglasses, nor would I care about them ;)

I didn't really think anything about it at the time but I do remember that Monster had a tire changing competition on a Kyle Busch Infinity car at the pit party at the Super cross race the past couple of years at Anaheim Stadium. It was set up right next to the water show where Monster girls in Monster G-string bikinis would get out of a hot tub and climb up a ladder and slide down in to a small pool. You could sit up in the Monster drink garden and listen to the music that a female DJ was playing while more Monster girls in Monster shorts brought you all the ice cold Monster energy drinks your poor old heart could handle while you were watching the Monster girl water show. By the time I made it up to my buddies suite for the race my heart was working at full max.:)
All I can say is, Welcome to NASCAR Monster

Let's face it. They're worthless.

They'll be like Nature's Bakery. Spending more than they earn. Not making money. No-one will eat Fig Bars. Gone in 3 months. :rolleyes:
I was trying to remember that name, I never think about it when I am shopping.
I do remember advertising where they had large cut outs of drivers and the sponsors product.

I think it's going to be up to NASCAR, weather Monster is going to be able to bring in younger fans, or not. If they insist on putting the Monster girls in fire suits, this sponsorship will fail. If NASCAR returns to it's Winston cup days, and lets them present the trophies to the winners, it might work well. The country is moving away from being PC, so this will be the perfect opportunity for NASCAR to do the same. The question is, will Brian France loosen up, and allow Monster to do what they do best. They will bring the younger people in. The question is, can NASCAR keep them?

Back
Top Bottom