A little redemtion for Tony?

I like Tony. But that restart was crap. All drivers were warned about restarting too early and about drivers laying back. NASCAR did not have the sack to penalize Smoke for taking off way way to early. Maybe John Darby was afraid Tony was going to come up to the booth and punch him in the grill if he black flagged him.

Yeah, that's it...he was afraid that Tony was going to punch him...yeah.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by N2racin88
I like Tony.  But that restart was crap.  All drivers were warned about restarting too early and about drivers laying back.  NASCAR did not have the sack to penalize Smoke for taking off way way to early.  Maybe John Darby was afraid Tony was going to come up to the booth and punch him in the grill if he black flagged him.

Why is it that someone always has to find fault with a win? Tony did what he had to do and he won......he didn't cheat. He pushed it to limit but Nascar obviously didn't think he went past the limit. I still say "Congratulations" on a great win......and at a great time for a win.:)

Tony did what they ALL do.

I don't think I've ever even seen a restart that was by the book, (well, maybe a few times but not many) and I been watching races for a real long time.

I do not find any fault in his win. Even if he had not jumped the restart he more then likely would have won. What I have a problem with is NASCAR sticking their chest out by saying "Do not jump the restart" and Tony obviously jumped it. C'mon, even the NBC booth was speechless after they had just relayed what NASCAR officials had told the drivers.

Funny how you find more to complain about in Tony's restart than the stupid red flag that made them restart to begin with.

The guys in the booth simply voiced their opinions.....neither said he jumped the restart. Both said he did what he had to do. Tony didn't jump the restart........he laid back and timed it so he would not pass the pace car before the start finish line. It's called a well timed restart.......and most would call it a GOOD restart.:)

Then maybe I do not understand what the orange cone is that is located coming off of turn 11.

Damn it! Tony had the car to beat and he won.. End Of Story!

Way to go 20 team!

The orange cone is a guage.........from the telescopic angle of the camera how do you know if Tony was going faster than pace lap speed when he passed it? Guess the Nascar officials didn't think so......and they are the ones that count. Doubt seriously if any Nascar official was afraid Tony was gonna run up to the booth and punch anyone.

Exactly DE, he was pacing very slowly...and who's to say he wasn't right at the exact pace lap speed when he reached the cone.

There was certainly no reason to throw a red flag. The track was clear. No safety personel or drivers in danger. nascar wants exciting finishes, and they don't care how they get them.

A one or two lap sprint is as dangerous as it gets in Winston Cup racing. They claim they care and then set the field for a crash.

Just give me money that's what I want.
Just give me money that's what I want.
That's what I want.
That's what I want.
That's what I want.

Let's keep it simple, Tony WON fair and square or Nascar would have been all over him like flies on stink. NO MORE WHINING.

Congratulations Tony, you worked hard and earned this win.
PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

what do you think would have happened if he would have been penalized like he should have been for jumping the start? i know it has happened to other drivers. example, i had rusty picked for a race at martinsville about 5 years ago and he got penalized for jumping the restart with very very few laps to go. same scenario, different outcome. i wonder...:rolleyes:

BTW 71fan, when a brake rotor blows apart and even starts trackside fires, how can you say the course was clear? Were we watching the same race??

By DAVID POOLE
The Charlotte Observer

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. - Winning is nice, Tony Stewart said after his victory Sunday in the Sirius at the Glen, but it's not a cure-all.

"It doesn't lift anything off my shoulders," said Stewart, who passed Ryan Newman for the lead on Lap 73 of the 90-lap race at Watkins Glen International and held on for the victory. "I still did what I did last week and I'm still ashamed of it."

What Stewart did last week, of course, was get into a post-race altercation with a photographer at the Brickyard 400 in Indianapolis. He spent the seven days in between that incident and Sunday's victory apologizing, promising to get professional help to deal with his sometimes explosive temper and accepting fines from NASCAR and from his sponsor, The Home Depot, for his conduct.

When it came time for him to climb back into the No. 20 Pontiac at this 2.45-mile, 11-turn road course, however, Stewart immediately began displaying the talent that has propelled him to the level of stardom that has at times seemed to overwhelm him.

He qualified third fastest on Friday, led one of the two practice sessions on Saturday and then ran at the head of the field for 34 laps on Sunday to win for the third time this season and for the 15th time in his career. It was his second Winston Cup road-course win - he won at Sonoma, Calif., last year.

Stewart talked about the issues stemming from last week's incident on Friday, and car owner Joe Gibbs faced many of the same questions in the garage area on Sunday. Talk about NASCAR's $10,000 fine and a $50,000 fine from The Home Depot, along with probation from both entities, dominated the news leading up to Sunday's green flag.

Through all of those distractions, however, Stewart and his team pulled together well enough to outlast Newman, Robby Gordon and the rest of the field on a warm day in upstate New York.

"This was a big win for our race team, but it's not going to heal me a bit," Stewart said. "Winning a race is a Band-Aid that covers it up right now. Tomorrow I will go to work getting my life straightened out again.

"This was just a good reward for the race team. They've worked so hard. It's a good way of rewarding for all of their hard work."

On a day when Jeff Gordon, the winner of this race four times in the past five years, was never a factor on his way to a 22nd-place finish, it was Robby Gordon making noise early. He bolted from his seventh starting spot to third going into the first turn of the first lap, was second at the end of that lap and took the lead from Ricky Rudd on Lap 4.

Stewart challenged Gordon for the lead entering Turn 1 on Lap 13, with their cars banging sheet metal as Stewart went into the corner too hot. Both cars got some damage, but neither seemed to much worse for wear.

Stewart came out with the lead once pit stops cycled through the field on Lap 40, then got back up to second when they cycled through again after a caution for Kurt Busch's blown engine on Lap 52.

Newman, whose second-place finish allowed him to move three points ahead of Jimmie Johnson in the rookie of the year standings, fought valiantly to hang on despite losing the power steering in his Ford before the midway point of the race.

"That made it tough, but Tony and Robby did a good job of racing me clean," said Newman, who finished in the top five for the fifth-straight race. "I just didn't get into Turn 10 very hard and Tony shoved his nose underneath me. I tried to hang on the outside. ... He did a good job. It was a good, clean pass where he just out-braked, out-turned and out-accelerated me. That's all you've got to do."

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/3843948.htm

Nascar said he won the race,Congrts to Tony.and his fans.He did have the best car.

Originally posted by pbunch
Nascar said he won the race,Congrts to Tony.and his fans.He did have the best car.

You darn right he did pbunch..........and he had a phenomenal restart! Perfect timing.......bet Robby wishes he was that good!!:)

The course was clear enuf for the cars to continue around it. Certainly not clear enuf to race on but a small piece of metal and a couple little grass fires hardly makes for an unsafe track.

What race was I watching? Ya know, if ya want to take a shot, take a shot. But cool it with the inuendo that implies I'm out to lunch eh?

Originally posted by 71Fan
The course was clear enuf for the cars to continue around it. Certainly not clear enuf to race on but a small piece of metal and a couple little grass fires hardly makes for an unsafe track.

What race was I watching? Ya know, if ya want to take a shot, take a shot. But cool it with the inuendo that implies I'm out to lunch eh?

I see your point 71......I, too, think the race could have been continued without a red flag. A partial course caution would have done the trick just fine. But Nascar chose to throw the red flag...most likely for a "more exciting" conclusion to an already exciting race. I don't see where the red flag changed a thing though. All I saw was Ricky had another shot at Robby........and that didn't happen either!!:)

And as to what race you were watching.......seems to me that you were watching the same race as I was!!:D

If someone wants to call that jumping a restart then I don't agree. that was good timing and nothing but, as said earlier. on the other hand in comparison to rusty a few years back, hell he took off on the backstretch. I call that just plain jumping the restart.

well, then so be it. life is good. next rounds on me:beerchug:

~can anyone direct me to the buffet?~

Congrats to Tony. I thought he drove a great race and while I don't care too much for the road courses I did enjoy this one even though Jr. had bad luck.

Usually for me roadcourse races are a snore, but this one was great! I was glad Kenny Wallace was ok and love those softwalls! Good win for Tony and the 20 team!:) Can't wait for Sunday! Would be great two in a row for 20 team, or a win for (I will regret this!) Jimmy Spencer. He got a raw deal from his team.:(

Hat's off to Tear'em up Tony!
Way to go ...................................beer's to ya!:beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom