A Love Letter To ‘Rome,’ The Show That Died So That ‘Game Of Thrones’ Might Live

Mr Excitement

Team Owner
A great article on what was and is still my favorite TV show of all time. If you haven't watched Rome I highly suggest you do. What an epic show it was.
http://uproxx.com/tv/rome-hbo-a-love-latter/2/

As creator Bruno Heller told Entertainment Weekly:

“They didn’t take our spot. They learned a lot from a business commercial sense, what not to do. Rome was the first show HBO shot out of country with large budget that was period. The mistakes we made are the mistakes Game of Thrones learned from. Many of the directors and producers are the same. Thrones is a brilliant show, brilliantly executed. One of the reasons it will continue is there’s a series of books that assure the powers that be that you have a structure. One of the challenges from HBO’s point of view was Romehad a large and ambitious structure but we were making it up as we went along instead having those wonderful books.”

“Just like many of the other shows in the same class, [Rome is] a show that ended early rather than got strung out and had the juice squeezed out of it,” Heller says. “It ended for reasons other than running out of things to say. I loved it. I thought it was a great show. There’s a sense that there’s unfinished business.”

Whether or not Rome ever comes back in some form or not, I’ll always love it just the same, a show that burned hot, lived fast, died young, and left a good-looking corpse. A really expensive-looking corpse.

Love that show.

It definitely deserves at the very least a mini series comeback.

Love that show.

It definitely deserves at the very least a mini series comeback.

That would be awesome, but I don't think It will ever happen. I have the box set that I haven't watched yet and a new 40 Samsung so I'm gonna watch it again. The last time I watched Rome it was on an old 32 inch beater so it should be a whole new experience.

Could HBO's 'Rome' rise again?
ROME-HBO.jpg

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/02/17/rome-hbo

Never say never,” Heller says. “Funnily enough, the sets are still there. They look very beautiful and are ready to go. But realistically, the thing with anything that’s come and gone, is this business is so much about what’s next. It’s difficult to get things going again just because they should be. There has to be a very strong commercial reason, as well.”

That said, Heller says he could “envision circumstances” of a reboot. “It’s just a matter of enough people thinking it’s a good idea. I could call Kevin and Ray and they’d love to come back and have another crack at it. It would be up to HBO. Normally I don’t like to look back, but that show was the great love of my life.”

This is a good article by a first time watcher of Rome.
TEN THINGS I LOVE ABOUT HBO’S ‘ROME’
91hdquclegl-_sl1500_.jpg

I’ve been a bit slow on the film reviewing front because I’ve been really enjoying getting stuck into a new television show (at least, it’s new to me). I’m currently watching season one of HBO’s Rome and am absolutely loving it for a number of reasons. Ten main ones, to be exact.

If you’re unaware of the general plot of Rome, it loosely follows two Roman soldiers following different paths; the noble minded Vorenus (Kevin McKidd), and the thuggish Titus Pullo (Ray Stevenson). Further, it follows the politics of the time, and the rivalry between Gaius Julius Caesar and Pompey, as well as the lives of the noble and less than noble people of the historical city. All of these characters are framed within the historical context of Ancient Rome just before its fall. The series aired from 2005 until 2007, and unfortunately was cancelled after just two seasons.

Continued---->>> https://filmgrimoire.com/2015/01/22/ten-things-i-love-about-hbos-rome/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom