"A Monster Of A Season"

kat2220

Super Moderator
Staff member
A 'monster' of a season
June 1, 2006
Over at Penske Racing South, it's shaping up to be a season of discontent. With a third of the Nextel Cup season in the books, teammates Kurt Busch and Ryan Newman are back in 19th and 22nd place, respectively, in the standings. Will the stable be able to turn things around before the Chase starts up at the end of the summer?

When you look at their runs this year, it's hard to pinpoint a trouble source. Busch has one victory, but otherwise the pair simply has been underperforming. Including that win, they have just two top-fives between them. Perhaps most telling? "Rocket Man" Newman hasn't won a Bud Pole yet.

No doubt Rusty Wallace retiring from Cup competition was a loss for Penske, but that doesn't completely explain the recent tribulations of the 2004 champ and a proven winner.

Is it just bad luck? An issue of chemistry in a new partnership? Whatever the problem, the level of severity may become clear this weekend at Dover: The Monster Mile is perhaps Newman's best track. He has three career wins here. Can he tame the beast again?

Busch, who made his Cup debut nearly six years ago at Dover, is hoping for a Newman-like run Sunday. "We're really looking to get our Cup season turned around this weekend," Busch said. The monster awaits.

From my Nascar Newsletter

I didn't think Newman and Wallace talked that much about their setups so Wallace leaving shouldn't have had any effect on Newman. Unless Roger is putting the effort/money in this year.

Hendrick and Jack dominate right now, lets face it. Evernham is trying to make some headway, but i think everyone is playing catch up to the big guys.

I think its more luck than anything.. Hendrick and Rousch have been dominating and Penske still did ok, I think Newman had a lot of luck last year and now its gone.. Can't be lucky all the time.

Back
Top Bottom