A timeline following the Ricky Rudd saga

S

stridsberry

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/3903708.htm
------------------------------------------------------
Posted on Tue, Aug. 20, 2002

A timeline following the Ricky Rudd saga

What a long, strange trip…
Ricky Rudd signed to drive the No. 21 Fords for the Wood Brothers on Tuesday, ending one of this Winston Cup season's most closely followed story lines. The road to Tuesday's announcement was a bumpy one:

Late April

After a race at California Speedway, Elliott Sadler tells Eddie Wood that he wants to be released from his contract for 2003. Sadler wants to pursue an opportunity to drive the No. 15 Chevrolets for Dale Earnhardt Inc.

May 1

Word gets out at Richmond that Sadler is seeking his release. DEI vice president Ty Norris says he'd be interested in talking with Sadler.

Early May

At a test at Lowe's Motor Speedway, Ricky Rudd says he is considering retiring at the end of the 2002 season, saying he will make a decision by mid-July. Shortly thereafter, Eddie Wood calls Ricky Rudd to ask him about his plans. He gets Rudd's phone number from Sadler.

May 25

Sadler qualifies second for the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte, but says it was one of his worst days as a driver after meeting with the Wood Brothers about his attempt to get his release.

May 27

Rudd makes his 656th consecutive start in the Coca-Cola 600, breaking Terry Labonte's Winston Cup record.

May 31

At Dover, the Wood Brothers confirm that Sadler, who has offered to give back his share of winnings from races for the rest of the 2002 season to the team, has been given his release.

June 1

Rudd says he believes his car owner, Robert Yates, has made a deal with Sadler to have Sadler drive for him in 2003.

June 24

Rudd wins the race at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif., and says he will go on vacation with his family in Florida to consider whether he wants to retire or continue racing.

July 4

At Daytona, Rudd says he is leaning toward coming back. "I know what I want to do and we'll have to see if we can make it work," Rudd says. Rudd says he also has offers from three other teams.

July 12

One week after winning the Pepsi 400 at Daytona, Michael Waltrip announces at Chicagoland Speedway that he has signed a new contract that will keep him in the No. 15 Chevrolet at DEI, removing that factor from the equation.

July 15

At a test in Indianapolis, Rudd says he would like to stay at Robert Yates Racing if he is assured that his team will be kept together. Yates offers no such assurances, however, saying that Michael McSwain would not be Rudd's crew chief in 2003 and that chances that Rudd would be back for the following season are "slim."

Aug. 2

A slot is reserved for a news conference on the first day teams are at Indianapolis for the Brickyard 400, but none is held. Rudd says, however, that a deal could be done by the end of the day. He is negotiating to drive a Dodge sponsored by Texaco/Havoline for Chip Ganassi Racing.

Aug. 3

No deal is announced.

Aug. 9

Rudd wins the pole at Watkins Glen.

Aug. 10

Texaco/Havoline sends out an advisory that a news conference has been scheduled for Aug. 13 at Lowe's Motor Speedway in Charlotte to announce its sponsorship plans.

Aug. 12

The Texaco/Havoline news conference is called off, apparently because Rudd and Ganassi can't finalize their deal.

Last week

Wood hears rumors that Rudd's deal with Ganassi may fall through and begins making calls to Motorcraft, his team's sponsor, trying to put a deal in place that would allow him to sign Rudd if the opportunity arises.

Friday

Word circulates in the garage area at Michigan that the Rudd-Ganassi deal is off and that the Wood Brothers, who've said all along they would wait until they see where Rudd winds up before filling the seat Sadler is vacating, are back in the picture.

Sunday

Sadler and Yates announce they have a three-year deal for Sadler to drive a No. 38 Ford sponsored by M&M's beginning in 2003.

Monday

Motorcraft officials tell Wood that if he can make a deal with Rudd, they're on board. Rudd and Wood tell each other to "write down your gripes" and begin working on contract details. Lawyers work through the night.

Tuesday

A deal is made shortly before noon. Ford public relations officials arrange a news conference at Charlotte's University Hilton hotel for 5 p.m. and notify the media. The entire Wood Brothers racing team accompanies team owners Eddie and Len Wood to Charlotte for the announcement.

To take a line from Swingers, the Woods Bros are the "Big Winners" here!

They sure are...And Rudd is the Big looser, minus the paycheck.

Hey now, we don't know what his paycheck is! I'll bet he could give the best of em a run on the monetary side with Ford backing him...

If Ricky had been doing the moonwalk,I would have thought he was trying to be Mikey Jackson,All he needs now is a pet monkey.:D

hell yea!! someone else who's seen Swingers

i have a banner up in my dorm room that says

"Welcome to the Dresden"

lol my roommate and i love that movie

I think one important event was left out of this timeline.

Cal Wells decides to go with Pontiac, a move Ford thought was gonna happen and then was told would not happen. But once Cal made the move, Ford suddenly finds itself with a few million dollars that are not earmarked for any team.

A few mill moves to the Woods Bros and suddenly they will be able to make a deall with Ricky!

I don't know, there's been some funny business going on with this Rudd leaving Yates deal since the very beginning. What seemed to be a perfect match b/w Rudd and Yates really faultered at the end. But that's been the way it's been for the last couple drivers in the #28, so maybe Elliott Sadler will fair better. But unlike Irvan or Irwin, Rudd was having impressive results with that team, but apparently money was the problem.

It's just funny that after aaaaaaaallllllllllllllllll this, Sadler and Rudd just end up switching rides. A shame Rudd had to get pushed out of the #28, but maybe he'll find more success in the #21. And with Sadler with Yates now, this is what might be his best chance in his career to show what talent he really has.

Im just glad it is all over, how much more could they have dragged that whole Saga out? I think Ricky made a bad decision by going with Wood Brothers because he may get what he wanted for money but I dont see him getting the same success that he had with RYR or possibly if he went to Ganassi!

Back
Top Bottom