A tip of the hat to Robby

H

HardScrabble

In the post race interviews Robby tried very hard to be professional and upbeat about his race and his team. A welcome departure from his past in my eyes.

From his drivers seat there could have many things to be openly upset over and though he was obviously disappointed I thought he handled himself well. He may a solid run and kept the car together and under him all day, another sign of his ongoing growth.

I couldnt believe how his car faded during the race though. I really thought he was going to win today. Great to see a good finish out of him today.

I thought he was going to go Tony Stewart there, but he held it together.

Yes HS he did do much better with that interview........but, he whined about an almost perfect restart on Tony's part. The guy just can't quit whining.:)

When Jeff Gordon does the same thing on a restart, I call it a damn good racing move. I would have to say the same when Tony does it. I actually have used the same trick when people are on my butt on the highway. I slow down, then take off so I can dictate the pace. It works every time for me.

That reminds me of how much he whined about NBC's camera that started a fire in his car last year. An Invoice and a car. Makes me think that he really was mad at NBC and wanted to rub it into their faces on Live Network TV.

Who says NASCAR isn't educational? I learned that one from watching 24 do it.

Frankly the restart is a nonissue for me, Tony had the race in the bag and earned the win. A green white restart following a red flag is just plain dumb as a hammer. IMO

But since it is topic here's what Tony had to say about it. Draw your own conclusions:

(DID YOU JUMP THE LAST RESTART?) "Nobody has ever left exactly at those two red stripes in the four years I've been in Winston Cup racing. Nobody has ever taken off exactly at them. They can say what they want. We did what we had to do. This is a tough race on restarts - where the flag stand is and where the last corner is and where the pits start. It really puts the lead car at a disadvantage, so as a driver I just did my job. I did what I was supposed to do as a driver and that is to try to take away their advantage. The road course guys - Pruett and P.J. Jones - were lagging back to try and get runs on us. We were sitting ducks if we didn't do something about it. I wasn't going to throw this race away because of a delay on the racetrack, so they can say what they want. We won it honestly. When I left, they had the same opportunity to get in the gas the same place that I did. It's not like we did something that they weren't able to do, too."

Tony did it almost perfectly and Robby didn't like it.:)

Yeah Robby Didnt like it. He didnt like his gear ratio either. But If Robby was out in front or any other driver for that matter they would have done the same thing.

I'm surprised Ricky Rudd didn't go over and sock Robby Gordon for that cheap move coming to the yellow flag.

Not only did Robby Gordon pass Ricky Rudd when they were supposed to not be racing, Robby almost wrecked Rudd. The person I give the tip of the hat to is Ricky Rudd for not trying to get back Robby on the track when he could have taken him out on the restart.

I remember when Robby passed Rudd, Rudd came slicing back towards Robby and barely clipped his back end. If he was just a few inches farther ahead Robby would have spun.

Yeah, but on the restart Rudd started behind Robby Gordon, and could have gently pushed Robby out into the grass on turn one, but left him alone. Had the roles been reversed, I'm don't think it would have happened the same way.

Yeah I too would not doubt that Robby would shove Ricky right off with no regret. But Also I dont think that Ricky would break the Gentlemans agreement. Also Ricky isnt really a guy thats gonna go after a guy just for 1 postion.

That's why Rudd is sitting 7th in the championship standings and Robby is sitting 21st. Rudd knows how to use his head, Robby... I don't know, he's gotten better, but he was racing dirty today. Fans like to see that sort of racing, I guess.

Robby Gordon had a couple questionable moves. He still seems to like to bang his way to the front. With any luck he'll be out of the series in a few years. JMO.

Great run for that 31 team. Tony had the race won and there shouldn't have even been a restart.

Back
Top Bottom