A true southerner

H

HardScrabble

Born and raised well south of the Mason Dixon line I figure I'm southern as hog jowl, black eyed peas, turnip greens, cornbread and buttermilk for supper.

Stole this list from another board and allowed some of ya'll might find it interesting.

Only a true Southerner knows the difference between a hissie fit and a
conniption and that you don't "have" them, but "pitch" them.

Nobody but a true Southerner knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip
greens, peas, beans, etc. make up a mess.

A true Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of
"yonder."

A true Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is - as in "Going to
town, be back directly."

Even true Southern babies know that "Gimme some sugar" is not a request for
the white, granular sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl in the
middle of the table.

All true Southerners know exactly when "by and by" is.

True Southerners know instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a
neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of
cold potato salad. (If the trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a
large banana puddin'. )

True Southerners grow up knowing the difference between "right near" and "a
right far piece." They know that "just down the road" can be 1 mile or 20.

True Southerners both know and understand the differences between a redneck,
a good ol' boy, and po' white trash.

No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn
signal is actually going to make a turn.

True Southerners know that "fixin" can be used both as a noun, verb and
adverb.

True Southerners make friends standing in lines. We don't do "queues," we do
"lines." And when we're in line, we talk to everybody.

Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're
related, if only by marriage.

True Southerners never refer to one person as "y'all."

True Southerners know grits come from corn and how to eat them.

Every true Southerner knows tomatoes with eggs, bacon, grits and coffee are
perfectly wonderful; that redeye gravy is also a breakfast food; that fried
green tomatoes are not breakfast food.

When you hear someone say, "Well, I called myself lookin'," you know you're
in the presence of a genuine Southerner.

Southerners say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need
for sugar and lots of it - we do not like our tea unsweetened; "sweet milk"
means you don't want buttermilk.

And a true Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little old
ladies who drive 30 on the freeway - you say, "Bless her heart" and go on
your way.

That's funny! I think half of them apply to Western Pennsylvania where I grew up too. Like they say, 'Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh and Philadelphia with Alabama in between.'

The differnce is up north they cook outside,and crap in the house,Down south we crap outside,and cook in the house.:p

nice to see ya bg. havent seen ya around lately, maybe i was just not on the same time:D

Originally posted by Budgirl
When you hear someone say, "Well, I called myself lookin'," you know you're  
in the presence of a genuine Southerner.

Say what??

I'm a very confused Yankee ;)

well say yer were lookin in the frigerator for the butter and couldn't find it. Sa ya holler out ya ma "Ah cain't find the butter" She comes in and gets the butter outs the frigerator and as "did ya look fer it" the proper response is " Well, I called myself lookin'"

Originally posted by pbunch
The differnce is up north they cook outside,and crap in the house,Down south we crap outside,and cook in the house.:p

LOL! That's funny. :p

After a hard day of physical work only a true southerner can wake up the next morining and declare themselves to be "all stove up".

"by and by" is actually an Old Enlglish phrase. Used very much in Shakespeare plays. :p

TRL,

You ever had hog jowl or streak-o-lean (pronounced "strick") instead of bacon?? I like brains and eggs myself, but know a lot of folks don't care much for that one.

My grandparents lived on a farm. When I was growing up, I would spend summers with them. You learned to eat everything, and anything. Used every part of a hog but the squeal.

I've chased headless chickens around the chicken yard. De-horned cattle. Help slaughter hogs and scrape the bristles. Pull corn in August. Helped milk cattle at 4AM.

Think my mom always sent me to the farm to teach me what real work was all about.

We always called strick "streaked meat". Can't make gravy without it either.

One more for the list: A true Southerner knows the difference between directly (pronounced DREK-ly) and directly (di-RECT-ly). The latter means straight to the destination, with no hesitation. The former means sometime before dark.

LOL Been there myself TRL,
Never de-horned cattle thugh, GA wasn't big on cattle farming.

When I was yonker though, I did walk a plow behind a mule and pick cotton by hand. And them chickens is hard to catch!

Just wondering, is this a southern thing , seems I don't remember seeing anybody do it outside the south. Put your salted peanuts into your bottle of Coke or RC Cola.

Y'all (am I using it correctly, I do mean more than one of you!) are strange! ;)

Originally posted by HardScrabble
LOL Been there myself TRL,
Never de-horned cattle thugh, GA wasn't big on cattle farming.

When I was yonker though, I did walk a plow behind a mule and pick cotton by hand. And them chickens is hard to catch!

Just wondering, is this a southern thing , seems I don't remember seeing anybody do it outside the south. Put your salted peanuts into your bottle of Coke or RC Cola.

And EVERYTHING was called coke...didn't matter if it was a Pepsi, Mt. Dew, Crush, Speite, or root beer, it was all a "coke". :D

Peanuts in Coke rule, but only if the Coke is in a glass bottle.

Originally posted by fergy1370
And EVERYTHING was called coke...didn't matter if it was a Pepsi, Mt. Dew, Crush, Speite, or root beer, it was all a "coke". :D

Oh, wow! My ex used to call everything a damn coke, too! I thought that was peculiar to his family. (They were from Baton Rouge.) Guess not. :eek:

He also said stuff like "might could" and pronounced theater "theaATEr". I did enjoy that stuff about him. :2gunsfiri

AND up North where I was raised then ... NOW

Sneakers.... now tennis shoes

Think..... thaink

Can't..... cain't

Drove somebody to..... carried then ta

Push the button.... dja mash it

and on and on (Jeff Foxworthy is a HOOT)

I will take all the home spun talk over all the big city chit any day,Nothing aganist the big city,but Thats where I was raised,and that the way it is for me. :)

You've never done anything till you've made souse(sp). Put it like this:

Take hog's head and any extra parts (ANY)
Put in a big black kettle with water and spices
Make a big fire and put kettle over it
Stand there and stir the parts and hogs heads
Stir till soft, mushy, and cooked through (have you ever tried to tell if a hogs head was done?!)
Drain and take inside
Run through a meat grinder and form into blocks
Put in frig, when you want a sandwich slice and eat!

That was an experience!! :D What Father-In-Law will do to you!

Oh forgot, the coke thing. Hubby (who is a Yankee) would ask what I would like to drink. I would say coke, but of course meant anything, guess what he brought me?? He also calles the hindcatcher in baseball the backcatcher! Never heard that till he said it, that is not normal, must be a Northern thing!

Originally posted by sgbg88
You've never done anything till you've made souse(sp).  Put it like this:  

Stir till soft, mushy, and cooked through (have you ever tried to tell if a hogs head was done?!)
Drain and take inside
Run through a meat grinder and  form into blocks

That was an experience!!  :D What Father-In-Law will do to you!

:bleh:

:bleh:

:bleh: and more:bleh:

Youins come on ore the house of an evenin and we'll make music.

Translation: You folks come on over this evening and we'll get out the guitars and fiddles play some music.

Originally posted by sgbg88
You've never done anything till you've made souse(sp).  Put it like this:  

Drain and take inside
Run through a meat grinder and  form into blocks

That was an experience!!  :D What Father-In-Law will do to you!

We always called that head cheese.:D

You can't not be from CA! I think there's a slight difference between head cheese and souse. Don't really want to know, but I guess some people have a taste for it!

By the way do you know
Where does the term NASCAR came from?
"National Association of Stock Car Racing?"
"Wrong"
"What do you mean, Wrong"
"Well, there was this Good Old Boy walking down the road and he sees his buddy standing in front of a new Chevy. He looks at him and he say, "Ya know, that there is a real "Nas Car' (Nice Car)

by Fred Fortin

Originally posted by DE Wrangler 2
Youins come on ore the house of an evenin and we'll make music.

Translation:  You folks come on over this evening and we'll get out the guitars and fiddles play some music.

Now, DE I know your email is arkansas, but I thought yuins was TN speakin.

Where all y'all frm

Originally posted by kat2220

Now, DE I know your email is arkansas, but I thought yuins was TN speakin.

Where all y'all frm

Arkansas. And in Arkansas it's head cheese.......souse is what ferners call it!!:D

Actually is haid cheeeeeeze!!

DE sure is proud of his living in arkansas...................hasn't lived there in years.............so Kat if you meant where are you from now...California.......and not arkansas...........thought I would clairify that one..............for DE.........:)

Yesem things is defferent South a da' Manson Nixon line............

Souse is one thing, but I got a story about killin some hogs for y'all.

For the uninitiated, hogs are killed in the dead of winter. It is long, hard work. When I was about 9 years old, I went with my Dad to my first hog killing. Usually, several neighbors will get together on a certain day and everyone's hogs are killed at once. Each man does one part of the job on every hog. A pot of boiling water is always kept to scald the hair off the hides and off certain parts of the meat. I mean a BIG outdoor iron or brass pot too, like a witch's cauldron. My job, being too young to do much else, was to keep that fire burning. Another kid was htere and was helping me.

Well, after awhile, this other boy took a long stick about a yard long and ties all the tails from the hogs to that stick. He then put the stick down in the boiling water, and after a few minutes began to eat the tails. He claimed they tasted just like fried potatoes with a pork rind flavor and asked if I wanted to try one. I passed.

Now talk about using everything but the squeal...

You need to talk to my Father-In-Law! He has stories that make never want to eat again. He help deliver too many animals to mention. On time when he was a kid, they has to cut open this pig. Her piglets had died and turned ganggreen (sp)! He was out of there! When I was getting ready to have my first child, he told me I could let him "pull" her for free! After the pig story I passed! They used to be Dairy Farmers, now after all his stories I didn't know for a long time if I wanted milk or beef again!

Back
Top Bottom