About shaving, FYI

Bobw

Team Owner
Couple of years ago a guy on another forum went on a rant about the high cost of replacement blades (are you listening Gillette?} 20 bucks for blades that only last maybe 2 months? Some guys chimed in about Dollar shaving club and Harry's. Another talked about old school double edge razors and blades, just like your Dad and Grand Dad used
I did a little research then went and bought a Merker 34c for 30 bucks and 100 Persona blades, 12 bucks off Amazon. I shave every day if I'm going out, if not the hellwitit and I skip a day, sometimes two. I still use good ol' 'Merican Barbasol and see no reason to go to the badger brush and soap cup
In the past 1.5 years my expense has been just a can or two of shaving cream. And I'm getting great shaves. Suck it Gillette!
FWIW I prefer to be called a ''frugal Yankee'' and not a cheap bastard...:)

Couple of years ago a guy on another forum went on a rant about the high cost of replacement blades (are you listening Gillette?} 20 bucks for blades that only last maybe 2 months? Some guys chimed in about Dollar shaving club and Harry's. Another talked about old school double edge razors and blades, just like your Dad and Grand Dad used
I did a little research then went and bought a Merker 34c for 30 bucks and 100 Persona blades, 12 bucks off Amazon. I shave every day if I'm going out, if not the hellwitit and I skip a day, sometimes two. I still use good ol' 'Merican Barbasol and see no reason to go to the badger brush and soap cup
In the past 1.5 years my expense has been just a can or two of shaving cream. And I'm getting great shaves. Suck it Gillette!
FWIW I prefer to be called a ''frugal Yankee'' and not a cheap bastard...:)
I don't remember the name of the disposable razors that I use but I use Edge shaving gel. I use my disposables far beyond the life expectancy. I only use a can or two a year as well. Call me cheap..... Makes no difference to me. I just hate shelling out the kind of money they want for those types of products.

I've got the old 'safety razor' double edge that you speak of from way way back when I was in highschool. Very low mileage. About 4 shaves into puberty I came to a stunning conclusion ... shaving is stupid. So I stopped. While dad and my brother blew 5 minutes every morning (every other morning in my fair haired brother's case) dragging a blade across their throats, I spent it under my nice warm comforter. Every month or so, I'd take a trimmer and knock down the high spots ... but mostly I just let nature take it's course. Well, 35 years later, my wife has used my razor far more often than I ever have, or ever will. Smartest decision I've ever made, staying in bed.

I just grew a beard. But if I ever go back to regularly shaving I'll just take @ladyspartan16 path and throw some Nair on it.

Shaving cream? What's that. I haven't used it in years. Good old bar of soap works great. As far as a razor, I use whatever my wife buys. So what if it's pink. Who's gonna know.

Its damn racket for sure, I like using the shaving gel, and while I dont think I am saving any money , but I never buy the refill sets, I just buy a new razor set, most of the times it comes with a second razor.

My wife borrowed my razor (THE HORROR) when she tossed her razor, pink, and didn't have another. She now has her own DE razor, no more pink lady bics. She says it gives a closer shaver than any disposable.

I have two straight razors that were my grandfathers. Old time barber put the edge on them. Testing them they both dry shaved a strip of hair off my arm effortlessly.
But I'm too 'fraidy scared to put them up against my throat...

I use Edge shaving gel and I used a Mach 3 Turbo, I think it was called, for years. I like it the best but I just can't justify that much money for something that I know costs them about a dime a piece to make

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

One thing about going back to old school double edge razor shaving. You will get a shave like you've never had before. If you rush and whip the razor around your face like it's a Mach I,II,III or Mach Bazillion you will bleed and you will bleed a lot. Trust me on this, I have 'sperience,:smile:

I did a little research then went and bought a Merker 34c for 30 bucks and 100 Persona blades,
I bought the exact same thing several years ago (except I got my stuff from West Coast Shaving). I also got a badger brush and a bowl to whip up the lather of Proraso shave cream. I've since replaced the Merker with a Jagger. I've tried a variety of blades and like the Gillette 7 O Clock and Personna blades (I'm currently trying Feather blades and don't like them - they are considered the best).

One of the sites I discovered when looking into shaving is The Art of Manliness . It is an interesting site to look through:
http://www.artofmanliness.com/

I'm using the Persona Blue, I got a promo pack with several brands and that's how I choose them. Which 7 O'clock blades? The greens? Yellows are made in Russia iirc,
Amazing how many difference brands are out there isn't it?

My wife borrowed my razor (THE HORROR) when she tossed her razor, pink, and didn't have another. She now has her own DE razor, no more pink lady bics. She says it gives a closer shaver than any disposable.

I have two straight razors that were my grandfathers. Old time barber put the edge on them. Testing them they both dry shaved a strip of hair off my arm effortlessly.
But I'm too 'fraidy scared to put them up against my throat...

Do it :p

Sam's Club stopped selling Fusion blades last time I needed some. They had their brand, Member's Mark, 6 blade 17 pack for around $25. I figured if they weren't any good my wife could use them. They are as good as the Fusion at 1/3 the price.

Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum silver/red box; 5 blades Plus 2 Free. They are made in India.

How many shaves do you get from the Gillette's? The Persona's? If I'm going out I'll shave that day, If staying home, nah I skip a day. I have a normal beard but on the third day without shaving I look like I'm homeless. I've never kept track, guess I should just for grins, but I think I get 5-7 shaves per blade.

How many shaves do you get from the Gillette's? The Persona's? If I'm going out I'll shave that day, If staying home, nah I skip a day. I have a normal beard but on the third day without shaving I look like I'm homeless. I've never kept track, guess I should just for grins, but I think I get 5-7 shaves per blade.
I expect a blade to last 5 work days (I don't shave on the weekends). The last time I ordered shaving supplies I got a variety pack of blades plus some other 5-packs of blades to try out (about a year's supply). I had a 100 pack of Personna Blue and still have some left. I've been working through a pack of Feathers over the last few weeks but those are too sharp, I cut myself regularly while shaving with those. I put in one of my old Personnas this week and I really like it. It has been awhile since I tried the Gillette 7 O'Clock blades but I'll probably revisit them soon, I still have some left. Some of the blades I've tried didn't last 3 days and one pack got thrown out after a single shave. The blades that impressed me are the Personna Blue, Gillette 7 O'clock black, and Crystal blades. I noticed in a forum that a couple people said the quality of the Personna blue had changed (over a year ago) which is why I got a bunch of other blades to try.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Personna-Lab-Blue-Double-Edge-Blades-100-per-carton_p_1157.html
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Gil...-Double-Edge-Blades-Black-5-Blades_p_522.html
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Crystal-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades_p_21.html

Looks like we both get about the same mileage out of a blade. Those Persona blades are $12.50 on Amazon.
12.5¢ a blade vs $1.47 for dadair6's example.

Team Personna. Here's my treasure trove. Ran me 20 bucks.

Oiu9vKr.jpg

Hmm The reds are made in Israel, no idea where the blues are made. I had a few''Jaling'' (?) Japanese or Chinese judging from the writing come in a promo pack. I loved then but can't find them anywhere.

Hmm The reds are made in Israel, no idea where the blues are made. I had a few''Jaling'' (?) Japanese or Chinese judging from the writing come in a promo pack. I loved then but can't find them anywhere.
The blues are made in America

Back
Top Bottom