Agent to Heat: LeBron opting out

Benevolent One

Team Owner
LeBron James' agent, Richie Paul, has informed the Miami Heat that James will exercise his early termination option and become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Alan Diaz

LeBron James' agent has informed the Heat that James will exercise his early termination option and become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Opting out does not mean James has decided to leave the Heat, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press, who spoke on condition of anonymity because neither the four-time NBA MVP nor the team had made any public announcement.

James had until June 30 to decide whether to opt out of the final two years of his contract with the Heat. He was scheduled to make $20 million next season.

After Miami's season-ending loss to the San Antonio Spurs in Game 5 of the NBA Finals, James told reporters he would take a vacation with his family before considering his contract options.

James did indicate that he welcomed the opportunity to become a free agent and have the same level of flexibility he was afforded in 2010, when he signed with Miami after spending his first seven years in Cleveland.

James had two years and about $42.7 million remaining on his deal with the Heat. In his four seasons in Miami, the Heat have gone to the NBA Finals four times, winning two championships.

I'll tell you one thing. If this guy comes to Lakerland, I'll **** my pants and take back all the things I said about him being a quitter and a crybaby through the years.

I'll tell you one thing. If this guy comes to Lakerland, I'll **** my pants and take back all the things I said about him being a quitter and a crybaby through the years.
That will happen no matter where he ends up. Everybody who hated him there will suddenly be his biggest fan. He's the best basketball player on the planet and he would make most any team a serious contender no matter where he goes. Especially, since he can choose where he wants to go. He can decide which team gives him the best chance of winning more championships. I really hope he comes back to Cleveland, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

They were talking on the news last night that the Cavs have the cap room to sign LeBron and Carmelo Anthony to pair with Kyrie Irving and whoever they take with the #1 overall pick tomorrow night. A starting five of Kyrie Irving at point, Andrew Wiggins at SG, Carmelo at SF, LeBron at PF and Anderson Varejao, Spencer Hawes or anybody else at center with guys like Dion Waiters and Tristan Thompson coming off the bench would be pretty formidable. But, would 'Melo and LeBron want to play in Cleveland? I don't know. If it were a purely basketball decision it would make a ton of sense, and it would even help LeBron's image even more if he did it. But, I can't see Carmelo deciding to live in Cleveland. He and his wife seem a lot more interested in the celebrity lifestyle than winning.

Looks like Wade and Bosh have opted out too. The 2014-15 Miami Heat could very closely resemble the 1998-99 Chicago Bulls if they all leave.

Looks like Wade and Bosh have opted out too. The 2014-15 Miami Heat could very closely resemble the 1998-99 Chicago Bulls if they all leave.

Can't wait to see how pathetic the stands look.

Can't wait to see how pathetic the stands look.
There will probably be more people on the court than in the stands. I'm gonna miss watching those mass exoduses we've seen in Miami the moment the Heat go down by 10.

Back
Top Bottom