Al Unser Jr. arrested on domestic battery charge

P

pettyfan4life

Press
Al Unser Jr. was arrested Tuesday on charges he hit a woman in the face before leaving her on the side of a highway in the middle of the night.

The two-time Indianapolis 500 winner was released from the Marion County jail after posting a $30,000 bond. He avoided reporters when he left.

The woman, Jena L. Soto, was found standing next to a guardrail on Interstate 465 at about 3:30 a.m. Tuesday. She told police she was Unser?s girlfriend of four years.

Soto was driving the car because Unser was drunk, she said. She told police she hit Unser first to stop him from trying to shift the gears, and that Unser responded by hitting her in the face.

The 40-year-old Unser was arrested at his motor home on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway infield. A hearing on a domestic battery charge was set for Wednesday, sheriff?s Maj. Vincent Cascella said.Al Unser Jr. arrested on domestic

Officials with Unser?s Indy Racing League team had no immediate comment, Kelley Racing spokeswoman Nancy Miller said. A telephone message left for Unser?s attorney, James Voyles, was not immediately returned.

The 38-year-old Soto, of Albuquerque, N.M., told police she and Unser had been at a strip club. She said they were arguing and that he repeatedly shifted the gears into neutral and reverse.

Soto told police she pulled to the side of the highway after Unser hit her, got out of the vehicle, and that Unser then drove away.

Unser first denied knowing Soto, police said. After being told of her accusations, Unser told police Soto had hit him first.

Unser, the winner of the Indy 500 in 1992 and ?94, was to play in a charity golf tournament Thursday at the speedway?s course and then drive Saturday in an IROC race at Chicagoland Speedway, Miller said.

Hey bud, there's no need for multiple postsings...might confuse some people. :)

Not trying to put any of the blame on her, but wouldn't you think going to a strip club with a known alcoholic in the wee hours of the morning was a bad idea?

Check out thesmokinggun.com

MUG SHOT availale there, along with the story

This sort of thing happens everyday,We all know if it wren't an Unser,No big deal.This will go away faster than you think. :)

Originally posted by pbunch
This sort of thing happens everyday,We all know if it wren't an Unser,No big deal.This will go away faster than you think. :)

Sorry pb, but the more attentention paid to this sort of thing, the better. Abuse is NOT to be tolerated in a civilized society. I've been there and will NEVER be a victim again. She did the right thing by calling 911.

Yes she did Kat,But Abuse is sometimes a 2 way street,or involves children.None of it is right.I never hit a woman in my life,and think that men who do are really afraid to fight a man. :)

I bet this will get less attention than Jeff Gordons divorce.

Originally posted by pbunch
Yes she did Kat,But Abuse is sometimes a 2 way street,or involves children.None of it is right.I never hit a woman in my life,and think that men who do are really afraid to fight a man.  :)

Ok pb, peace and thanks.
I still believe he started it in a drunken fit when he tried to shift the gears into neutral orreverse and she "backhanded" him to stop him from killing them both.
Pulling over and getting out of the vehicle probably saved her life.

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS to ANY abuse, be it directed towards men, women, children, animals or our planet.

Originally posted by paul
How come she wasn't arrested for hitting him?

Paul, she wasn't drunk, he started it, she jumped out and called 911.
Cops aren't stupid.

By the way, what happened to your avatar???

I think it might be a rumor but he was picking her up from work and she thretened him or something and then she pulled over and got out and told him to leave her. Like I siad it might of been a rumor. I was at a Nascar card and collectables shop and talked to a guy over that.

Originally posted by paul
How come she wasn't arrested for hitting him?

sounds like she hit him so she could maintain control of the car.
i don't think they'd arrest her for that. his attack was abuse. imho of course. the whole thing is pretty unpleasant:(

Paul...I was thinking the same thing when I read it the first time. I was thinking it sounded like Tawny Kittaen(sp?) beating on Chuck Finley when he was driving home from the restaurant. They threw her in jail for a few days to cool off. Maybe the difference was that Finley did not fight back.

Back
Top Bottom