Alan Kulwicki memorial

T

TN-Ward-Fan

Another from eracefans.com. I can't be in Wisconsin in person, but I think this is wonderful.

Kulwicki had a future so bright in this sport. For newer fans who never saw him race, you truly missed one of the best ever. After his death, it took my father over 4 years to care about a NASCAR race again. This from the man who virtually raised me at race tracks. I cried for Alan, but I cried for dad just as much.

Dennis Michelsen
March 06, 2003
Let’s Honor Alan Kulwicki- Odds and Ends
(Race New for Fans with Short Attention Spans)

Ten years ago this sport lost one of its greatest human-interest stories and arguably one of its best drivers ever, Alan Kulwicki. Where did those ten years go? Alan was probably the last owner-driver to win the Winston Cup Championship. For those new to the sport, AK turned down offers to drive for some well known race teams in order to continue running his own team. Driving down to North Carolina from his native Wisconsin, he was determined to do it his way! In one of the great upsets in Winston Cup history; AK won the 1992 championship by the closest margins of all time, a scant ten points. He would never get to defend that championship, losing his life in a plane crash on April 1, 1993 in eastern Tennessee. Now ten years have passed and I wanted to do something BIG to honor Alan’s life, just for the great memories he left us. Crazy ideas started leaping from my mind and I started putting them into action. A party to celebrate AK’s accomplishments held at the park in Greenfield, Wisconsin named in his honor seemed like a natural. But Alan’s Dad has requested that nothing be done at the park on that date and we will honor those wishes. We do, however, need a way to say thanks for the memories to AK. Since I am good at stealing ideas from others, I propose a candle light vigil at the cemetery where Alan is interned. Dennis Mielcarek has been doing this every year since AK’s death. Thanks to Mr. Mielcarek we have the perfect way to honor Alan with dignity. Please join me in honoring the memory of our fallen racing hero on April 1, 2003 at Saint Adelbert’s cemetery in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Light a candle with us and remember a great “light” in our favorite sport that was extinguished too soon. In addition I urge everyone who remembers AK to make a donation to Kyle Petty’s Victory Junction Gang in Alan’s honor. That way Alan Kulwicki’s legacy will live on through every child that finds joy at this camp! Stay tuned right here for details as this memorial to AK comes together.

he was one hell of a driver. I think one of the saddest things i have ever seen was his transporter leaving BMS the next morning.

There is a photograph I have seen at some Hooters restaurants that haunts me every time I look at it. It's a photo of the sign outside AK Industries, with a Hooters Racing jacket draped over the corner and a single spray of flowers. I'd love to have a copy if anyone has one.

A great tribute to a great driver and probably the smartest owner/driver ever.
It's too bad that he seems to have been forgotten.

Never saw him race except on tape. Look pretty darn good to me. Rip Alan :lilangel:

I don't remember where I saw the picture. But Kyle still has the AK racing logo on his uniform. He also obviously has Adams still on him!

ak1.jpg

I can remember seeing Alan race on TV when I was little. Thanks for the pic Tiny.

I can remember Alan in the #7 Zerex and Hooters cars!!
I have the race after his death Bristol. I don't know where but i know I have it.

Click Here
Click on the link to see a pick of the AK& logo on kyles uniform its on his right arm under the Victory Motorcycles Logo. I pick is huge so i won't post it just the link

Back
Top Bottom