All Electric NASCAR Series on the Horizon

I’m for it all. Just SUV body? That’s most ridiculous thing ever lol.
Semi's are next
1658416928247.png

Sometimes market evolution carries you so far from your original purpose that neither you or your product is relevant any longer. Sure an electric series is possible, one already exists, but I am yet to be convinced there is or will be an actual market and spectator demand for it. For me, a race car without an engine is like football without the ball. You can run around a field and tackle each other, but that doesn’t make it football.

Sometimes market evolution carries you so far from your original purpose that neither you or your product is relevant any longer. Sure an electric series is possible, one already exists, but I am yet to be convinced there is or will be an actual market and spectator demand for it. For me, a race car without an engine is like football without the ball. You can run around a field and tackle each other, but that doesn’t make it football.
I can't even determine what NASCARs current identity is. I understand they're trying to appeal to a younger fan base for the longevity of the corporation and modernize similar to F1. Going to have more RC/Street Courses soon over ovals lol.

Feel like NASCAR changes too much too quickly. What even is their identity anymore.
Welcome to the forum.

I'm confused by your confusion. To me, it is impossible to mistake Nascar for any other form of motorsport, unlike various open wheel roadracing series, various sports car racing series, and myriad dirt track racing series. Nascar's identity seems crystal clear to me. What is it exactly that you're having identity problems with?

Been saying for years we need a "Formula Trucks" type of series in the US. I think there was a big rig series, but being sanctioned by NASCAR would give it more eyes.

It's so freaking ridiculous, but to me its extremely fun to watch the drivers wrestle these beasts.
At least 2 current big rig series in the US that run short tracks

Welcome to the forum.

I'm confused by your confusion. To me, it is impossible to mistake Nascar for any other form of motorsport, unlike various open wheel roadracing series, various sports car racing series, and myriad dirt track racing series. Nascar's identity seems crystal clear to me. What is it exactly that you're having identity problems with?
The identity is constantly changing to attract as much viewership as possible to maximum TV $ deals. An example includes: NASCAR wanted badly a car & motor that would provide closer racing, yet we increase the amount of RC/Street course?? Trying to mimick F1 in modernization & attract their viewer groups.

The identity is constantly changing to attract as much viewership as possible to maximum TV $ deals. An example includes: NASCAR wanted badly a car & motor that would provide closer racing, yet we increase the amount of RC/Street course?? Trying to mimick F1 in modernization & attract their viewer groups.
Nascar races on:
Ovals small medium and large
road courses small medium and large
a triangle
the dirt
the street.
Any other racing series do that? That's an identity IMO.

I'm cool with it. You guys want more power? It says greater than 1000 HP is the plan.

As far as crossover bodies, well guess what sells the best? That seems pretty well within the nature of a "stockcar" series to me. Calling it now, the bodies will be the Mustang Mach-E, Chevy Blazer EV SS, and Toyota bZ4x.

Social media is chock full of Nascar fans who decry the passage of "the good ol' days" when fresh ideas could make a real difference. Now everything is spec parts, spec cars, almost spec drivers, etc. So much sameness, these fans complain. All of that is the inevitable byproduct of a mature technology. In Nascar, as in everything else, the solutions converge as the technology matures.

Then along comes something truly new, a technology in its infancy. What do we do about that? Do we embrace the bold new frontiers? Are we captivated and excited by the prospect of a virgin field such as electric racing... with so much room for technological progress to come?

Nope, no way. We reject it out of hand... because it's not exactly the same as what we already have. SMH.. :confused:

I don't know if I could handle an all electric race.
In person, part of the thrill is feeling the rumble of the cars on your whole body.
And where would the sound come from? Played over the speakers. Or would the spectators go "vroom, vroom" when the cars passed. LOL
I won't miss the noise at all. To me it's always been something to tolerate as the price of attending, like traffic or long bathroom lines.

I won't miss the noise at all. To me it's always been something to tolerate as the price of attending, like traffic or long bathroom lines.
It's an unpopular opinion, but I agree with you. I think a lot of cars sound really good. But I don't think stockcar V8s are one of them. It's just the same noise, times forty, on repeat, for three hours.

I don't know if I could handle an all electric race.
In person, part of the thrill is feeling the rumble of the cars on your whole body.
And where would the sound come from? Played over the speakers. Or would the spectators go "vroom, vroom" when the cars passed. LOL
My fandom of nascar isn't what it was 15 or 20 years ago but I'll say it right now if the premier series goes all electric count me out. At the end of the day I'm sure no one will care if one guy stops supporting the sport.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

My fandom of nascar isn't what it was 15 or 20 years ago but I'll say it right now if the premier series goes all electric count me out. At the end of the day I'm sure no one will care if one guy stops supporting the sport.

Well, that's a bit better reason than single-lug or where the numbers are placed.

Social media is chock full of Nascar fans who decry the passage of "the good ol' days" when fresh ideas could make a real difference. Now everything is spec parts, spec cars, almost spec drivers, etc. So much sameness, these fans complain. All of that is the inevitable byproduct of a mature technology. In Nascar, as in everything else, the solutions converge as the technology matures.

Then along comes something truly new, a technology in its infancy. What do we do about that? Do we embrace the bold new frontiers? Are we captivated and excited by the prospect of a virgin field such as electric racing... with so much room for technological progress to come?

Nope, no way. We reject it out of hand... because it's not exactly the same as what we already have. SMH.. :confused:
There are already plenty of electric racing series out there and so far neither Formula E nor Extreme E nor MotoE nor ETCR nor the ADAC e-Corsa Rally Cup has managed to catch my attention or appeal to a broader audience.
I'm not holding my breath for the NASCAR Electric Series.
It's an unpopular opinion, but I agree with you. I think a lot of cars sound really good. But I don't think stockcar V8s are one of them. It's just the same noise, times forty, on repeat, for three hours.
Attending Pocono in 2017 the thunder from the cars was awesome, feeling the grandstands vibrate underneath me as the field came by was an unforgettable experience.
I would miss the V8s a lot.

I'm not naive enough to think Nascar is going to drop everything and switch to electric.
Depends on how much pressure the manufacturers put on nascar. The government is pushing all electric and at the end of the day manufacturers are only in racing to sell a product. Do I think it will be full electric anytime soon? No, but I think it all depends on how much pressure the manufacturers are to make EV's

Anybody else here with a firefighting background? Electric car fires are absolute nightmares at the moment and I don’t see that changing. It’s all fun and games until we have to dig holes in the infields to put the cars in and flood them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom