All-Star race experimentation receives mostly high marks

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
This clip is almost 17 minutes long, but O'Donnell answers all of the press's questions.

Here are opinions from the racers:
"It's interesting for sure," said AJ Allmendinger after he won the last-chance qualifying race. "I've still got mixed feelings on it. ... Part of me thinks if we didn't have as much restrictor, maybe a little more motor, it would be a little bit better. It was interesting for sure."

"There is some tweaking [needed]," Joey Logano said after his third-place finish. "Personally, I would like to get rid of the drag ducts, just to try it. I don't think that's the right direction. Maybe it is. You don't know until you try it.

"I thought the racing was pretty entertaining from the driver's seat. I would assume from TV and from the grandstands it was pretty entertaining."

"By the time it evolves, especially for the engine shop, this particular engine package would need to look very similar to what your Daytona and Talladega package to look like. ... That's the reason you can't just say, 'Pull the trigger, let's do it,'" Harvick said.

"It's a big ship to turn. It would be interesting."

"It's a [new] motor package; it's potential body change from what we race," said Stewart-Haas Racing Vice President of Competition Greg Zipadelli. "We're just creating more work for ourselves, which just takes more resources.

"If it puts good racing on and the races are spread out, we'll all figure it out as teams. Dumping it on us right now wouldn't be the right thing to do."
http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/s...tion-nascar-all-star-race-receives-high-marks

4 wide right before Truex takes a ride.
xzgYscLq50atJbR83-pi1cT6O-jy4yrw4sm3BoxOPeM.png

What’s next for All-Star rules package? That’s what NASCAR faces
CONCORD, N.C. — The fans stood even as Kevin Harvick held the lead for the final 10 laps.

They stood because this was unlike anything they had seen at Charlotte Motor Speedway — cars bunched on a track that typically stretches them like taffy over 1.5 miles; cars two-wide often, three wide at times and four wide once.

This was so different even though there wasn’t a lead change in the final stage — duplicating the finish of last year’s race.

“I think you knew on Lap 7 that Kyle Busch had won the All-Star Race, I think we all knew that last year,’’ said Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR’s chief racing development officer.
Not Saturday night. A new aero package combined with restrictor plates created a form of racing that Harvick suggested could be a seminal moment years from now.

Smith spearheaded the push to run this package in the All-Star Race before the season when NASCAR discussed a plan with the sport’s key stakeholders to try this package in 2019.

Not everyone liked Smith’s idea. So he and other SMI officials worked for a few months to convince team owners it was worth the additional cost. The point being teams could do this in a test and pay for the costs or they could do it in a race that paid the winner $1 million.

But there’s much to consider before such changes can be instituted. Team executives told NBC Sports that restrictor plate motors are typically more expensive than a regular motor, so more races with this setup could prove more costly. Also, with cars running closer together, there’s the great chance of more multicar crashes and the added costs of repairing or replacing cars.

Drivers opinions

“I wouldn’t want to take it to every 1.5-mile track,’’ said Kyle Larson, who finished seventh. “I’d hate to see this at Homestead or Chicago or something like that. I’d think Kentucky would be a nice one to try at it. It seemed like you could run with people on your right side a little bit a lot better than normal, so I’m thinking Kentucky when somebody’s on your door into (Turn) 3, maybe you won’t get as loose getting in, but yeah, I don’t think every track, but there’s some it could work for.’’

Denny Hamlin, who finished fourth, was open to the possibilities.

“I thought the race looked decent from my perspective,’’ he said. “Maybe it could use some refinement but overall if the fans or the stakeholders believe they saw a good race, then we can work on it from here. I’m not really opposed to anything, really.’’

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/0...l-star-rules-package-thats-what-nascar-faces/

Daniel Suarez finishes second: "It hurts to be close and not get it"

Although he started near the back of the field because he had to earn entry through winning a stage in the Monster Open, Suarez was remarkably consistent the remainder of the night.

He finished second in Stage 2, second in Stage 3 and finished as runner-up to Kevin Harvick in the final 10-lap stage, just missing out on his first victory of any kind in the Cup Series.

“I felt like we had a car actually capable to win the race. We were very strong, competitive,” Suarez said. “For whatever reason restarts, my car was taking like one lap to go and those guys, when two Fords were connected, they were pretty strong.”

Harvick got a push from fellow Ford driver Joey Logano on the final restart which allowed him to put some distance on himself and Suarez by the time both reached the backstretch.

“We just – I needed a little bit more right there. (Hamlin) got disconnected with myself a little bit. I tried to side draft (Harvick), but it was just tough. After that, it was pretty much game over because I started racing (Logano) instead of (Harvick), but proud of my guys.
https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/daniel-suarez-second-all-star-race-1039511/

We didn't need a presser from O'Donnell. We needed one from Kauffman. #StrawThatStirsTheDrink

Last edited:
Nascar will use this next year, but why restrict an engine that produces 800hp when you could come to the track with an engine that puts out 450hp?:idunno:

Nascar will use this next year, but why restrict an engine that produces 800hp when you could come to the track with an engine that puts out 450hp?:idunno:
for the hundredth time. More work and tons more money.

"It's a [new] motor package; it's potential body change from what we race," said Stewart-Haas Racing Vice President of Competition Greg Zipadelli. "We're just creating more work for ourselves, which just takes more resources.

Let me hear Gibbs, Hendrick, Roush, Childress, Penske, and Ganassi before I hear that cuck.

They have that cuck so they don't have to speak....Interestingly, he doesn't speak for Barney Visser. He is not in this. Laughingly, Claire B. Lang did not understand this on her show this week on NASCAR Radio. I was embarrassed for her. She is a nice lady, but tremendously unprepared consistently.

Might be cheaper at the end of the day to just let them go. Huge resources being spent on maintaining parity IMO.

They have that cuck so they don't have to speak....Interestingly, he doesn't speak for Barney Visser. He is not in this. Laughingly, Claire B. Lang did not understand this on her show this week on NASCAR Radio. I was embarrassed for her. She is a nice lady, but tremendously unprepared consistently.
here is a new name you can drop.:D

Alright folks. This is the part where this is SHOVED down our throat by NASCAR and their media. These people are so ******, next weekend we are going to see DW screeching about how boring the 600 is and how amazing the ARS was.

Drivers are like “it’s, interesting..” and NASCAR be like “HIGH MARKS! GREAT STUFF”

Also, I’m seeing a lot of comments elsewhere by these enlightened fans that enjoyed last nights race, and they are suggesting running it at places like Pocono, Indy, and CALIFORNIA. Have these idiots watched a race at Fontana lately? People legitimately want Talladega every weekend. It’s bananas.

here is a new name you can drop.:D

So grateful to hear that someone will finally get the group insurance rates the millionaire owners deserve, and to work out the frequent flyer mileage plans to reduce travel costs. I was losing sleep.

If they can get the speeds up they might have something. Race seemed to easy and slow.

a track begging for that package..there's your sign

A 20 year old social media intern begging for that package.... It’s also a track that NASCAR owns. The track is simply towing the company line if they keep a tweet like that.

Edit: same with Eddie Gossage and same with Larry Mac.

He was talking about a full-time change to the ASR setup...

The whole ****** point of those douchebags on Twitter is to make this **** seem great. Gluck was mentioning last night that he wasn’t convinced this was the answer and he was being blasted for it. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom