American Flat Track

I'll be in Southern California next weekend, what's better to attend in your opinion - AMA Flat Track @ Perris Auto Speedway or Irwindale Speedway (16 late models, 11-12 Spec Late Models/Super Trucks, 10 legends cars, 6 super stocks, figure 8's)???

I feel like I'll have to go with Irwindale because Perris isn't even really close to LA.

American Flat Track Sees Substantial Growth, Poised For Breakout
lots of changes to the old AMA way of doing things. NBCSN has picked them up again.

For decades, Flat Track motorcycle racing – oval on mile, half mile, short track, or “TT” on dirt – a sport seen as an American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) sanctioned and controlled style of racing, with NASCAR’s motorcycle subsidiary AMA Pro Racing as the component that held race events. But, following the 2016 season, Michael Lock, a London-born exec that had been involved starting with Honda UK with stops along the way with Triumph Motorcycles, Ducati (Managing Director of Ducati UK, Ducati North America), as well as COO of Lamborghini USA, came on as a consultant of AMA Pro Racing and after the first season, presented the board a five-year plan designed to grow the sport’s presence. That meeting and proposal had Jim France, the Principal of AMA Pro Racing and Executive Vice President of NASCAR, ask Lock to come on as CEO. As part of that plan, a re-branding as American Flat Track was born. The re-brand removed the confusion of being AMA when the assets were purchased.

Lock also said that beyond the branding the major thing that was changed was the structure of classes. Lock said. “We now have AFT Twins, which are large dual cylinder motorcycles and we have AFT Singles, which are 450cc single-cylinder motorcycles that are based on production on production dirt bikes. So, we now have two distinct classes so you know exactly what you’re looking at.” He went on to day that that was not the case under the old regime. “There was GNC 1 and GNC 2 and fans could speculate for as long as they wanted as to what that meant,” Lock says. “We have two distinct classes which was not the case before.”

While certainly not on par with NASCAR or IndyCar, the product is growing posting 2,584,000 viewers for the series in 2018, up from 1.8 million in 2017. When throwing in streaming on FanChoice.tv and tickets sold for events, total viewers for the sport hit 3,221,925.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mauryb...tial-growth-poised-for-breakout/#72499e803127

I have never been disappointed with an AMA flat track show, but I have been disappointed at some rather crappy short track shows with more divisions than cars in each division.

Yeah but rental cars are expensive and Perris is pretty far from LA. That's about the only defense I got (albeit reasonable).

AFT is on my dvr series record. This racing is crazy live if you ever get a chance.
Very cool win for JD Beach at the AZ TT.

Back
Top Bottom