an idea, that probably wouldnt work

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
Now that Grand-am is part of NASCAR holdings, what if ALMS was adopted into grand am? Granted, grand-am racing is far and away better than nascar racing right now.

I was thinking if LMP1 and LMP2 stayed as their own classes while all of GT was merged, and merge the schedules. Adopt the ALMS/FIA pit method (i think?) where team cars share a single pit stall (2 cars to a stall), and denounce the grand-am pit method where prototypes first, then GT.

So you'd have 20 LMP's, 20 DP's, and 20 GT's (except endurances...then could be larger field). But since team cars will be sharing stalls, there's still 40 or less stalls, and the team managers decide which car pits first (whether the leading team car, or the one that needs to stop first). And have a 2 car per team cap with exception to endurance races, where 4 GT's are allowed per team.

That's give you no less than 10 teams per class, and make action interesting, as well as the traffic issue.

again, probably wouldnt work, but it'd be interesting.....I count 15 combined GT and 12 combined LMP teams and 60 total grand-am teams.

It's an interesting idea.

It sounds like your trying to put 60 cars on one track. That sort of limits you to what tracks you could run on.
For me....it gets too confusing watching so many classes on the same track.

I wish they would go the other direction, and have Grand Am type races incorporated into the NASCAR schedule. Lets say 8 or 10 road races a year, in a something more of a Sports Car. Like they talked about a "Pony Car " series.
And they would be at the Cup Level. So that week-end The Tony Stewarts, and the Jimmy Johnsons of the world, would jump into a Camaro, and run at Laguna Seca that week-end.

They need to dump some of those 500 mile ovals, and incorporate some road course stuff IMO. Or Better year Street courses.

It's an interesting idea.

It sounds like your trying to put 60 cars on one track. That sort of limits you to what tracks you could run on.
For me....it gets too confusing watching so many classes on the same track.

I wish they would go the other direction, and have Grand Am type races incorporated into the NASCAR schedule. Lets say 8 or 10 road races a year, in a something more of a Sports Car. Like they talked about a "Pony Car " series.
And they would be at the Cup Level. So that week-end The Tony Stewarts, and the Jimmy Johnsons of the world, would jump into a Camaro, and run at Laguna Seca that week-end.

They need to dump some of those 500 mile ovals, and incorporate some road course stuff IMO. Or Better year Street courses.
If you like pony cars, poke your head to the KONI Challenge series.

Back
Top Bottom