Analysis: Why F1's $43 million prize money drop has caused alarm

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
So when Liberty Media announced earlier this month, as part of its regular quarterly updates, that the prize money pool for teams was going down for the first time in recent memory, it was no surprise that it caused some angst.

Tucked away inside its presentation was the fact that for the recent quarter, the pool of income to be shared out among teams will be $273 million (USD), which is 13 percent lower than the same period last year when it came in at $316 million.
“The heart of the problem is something else,” said Lauda. “In the face of cost growth of some €70million from one year to the next, revenues have declined.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/formula-one-prize-money-drop-981336

Looks like they need to get out of the techno spend spend spend, and start figuring out ways to cut costs like everybody else.

So when Liberty Media announced earlier this month, as part of its regular quarterly updates, that the prize money pool for teams was going down for the first time in recent memory, it was no surprise that it caused some angst.

Tucked away inside its presentation was the fact that for the recent quarter, the pool of income to be shared out among teams will be $273 million (USD), which is 13 percent lower than the same period last year when it came in at $316 million.
“The heart of the problem is something else,” said Lauda. “In the face of cost growth of some €70million from one year to the next, revenues have declined.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/formula-one-prize-money-drop-981336

Looks like they need to get out of the techno spend spend spend, and start figuring out ways to cut costs like everybody else.

Tire warmers went south ......... everything is fine now ;)

I don't think the decrease in prize money is really the issue there, given the reasons for it (Liberty investing to help the growth of the sport). What generally does need to happen though is a decrease in costs, as they continue to rise for really no good reason. "The Pinnacle" is hardly that - I can't really remember the last time F1 was really the most cutting-edge racing technology in the world - Formula E and LMP1 are/have been more innovative with much smaller budgets than those of the top F1 teams.

If F1 teams want costs to come down, they need to have a serious discussion on where to go with power unit regulations. It all starts there, in my opinion. As it is now, they can never come to an agreement on anything and just whine about Liberty afterwards.

Declining revenue would not be nearly as big of an issue if the cars were not so expensive. Just sayin'.

This is worth discussing, though.......

"The Pinnacle" is hardly that - I can't really remember the last time F1 was really the most cutting-edge racing technology in the world - Formula E and LMP1 are/have been more innovative with much smaller budgets than those of the top F1 teams.

Porsche was reported to be spending $200 mil on their LMP1 effort, so I would not say that's "much" smaller. It's still a ton of money, and I think most of it has to got to be going into the technology. Contrast to the technology and development restricted LMP2 and you can see which is more affordable simply from the grid size.

Most road cars in general are more technologically advanced than Formula One cars. I mean, you can't even buy a Nissan in the US that doesn't have traction control, antilock brakes and CTV transmission. Some expensive sportscars have speed activated spoilers (moveable aerodynamic devices), and I think you can get any of the Subaru cars with AWD. In short, all the stuff that we have already banned on the grounds of cost can easily be incorporated into a $25000 road car! Then we point to the latest vortex vane on a formula one car's mirror as this week's proof of Formula One's position as the pinnacle of innovation.

So, any attempt to present racing as the proving grounds it used to be is laughable at best. You can bet that the next new advance will get clamped down, restricted and banned in really short order........ or maybe there won't even be any new technologies simply because the rules are so constricting that there is no room for them to even be tried.

If you follow what's going on with technology in F1, every week it is nothing more than the latest widget affixed to the monkey seat, or yet another tacked on vane or wollybobble on the barge boards, or even another element added to the front wing that already has fifty elements. Everything has been reduced to aerodynamic development, and while we can brag about that, it's exactly what's wrecking the quality of the racing.

If F1 teams want costs to come down, they need to have a serious discussion on where to go with power unit regulations. It all starts there, in my opinion. As it is now, they can never come to an agreement on anything and just whine about Liberty afterwards.

Liberty bought a big bag of crap. What's going to happen is the teams will eventually revolt, and maybe even try to run their own breakaway series. They have done it before. The difference this time is Liberty does not have the overbearing authority that the FIA does. In the past the FIA could ban anyone from racing anywhere in the world for any reason they wanted. When the teams broke away in 1982, the FIA issued a bunch of threats that they could back up and the teams quickly fell back into line after running a solitary break away race. Liberty does not have that power, and if the teams want to break away they can do it and Liberty will be left with squat.

In fact, there was talk about a break away Formula One series a few years ago, and the FIA as much as said they would sanction it! If Liberty doesn't give the F1 teams what they want, they could easily tell them to take a hike and just race on their own, sort of like Cart did. Seeing money to be had the FIA would probably go along with the teams. Once Liberty actually has the time to actually look at what they have bought, study the history, and maybe even look into what happened in Indycar with their split, I'm betting F1 goes back on the block for the next sucker.,

I always looked at F1 as big rich boys with big expensive toys. Once they changed the sound to what they are today, I lost interest. The most exciting part of the F1 Race is the start, after that it is follow the leader 98% of the time.
But to each his own, if you like the racing I am happy for you, just not my cup of tea. ;)

I'm an F-1 ogre. Take away the little bitty screeching engine, let them run fuelie engines without turbos to get the sound right to my ears anyway. Balance the performance so the sounds of many different engines fill the air. Oh well I can dream.

If I had it my way they would be running 3 liter V12s with full ground effects and no driver aids. Single element front and rear wings, no bargeboards or any other widgets. No refueling and no changing a tire that isn't damaged. Move the barriers back where they were 20 years ago and take out the ridiculous 10 foot wide curbs. Put the grass back in while they are at it. Take out all the chicanes and let them go 300mph. Better still, restore the original; Osterriechring and race there three times a year.

Reactions: sdj
Porsche was reported to be spending $200 mil on their LMP1 effort, so I would not say that's "much" smaller. It's still a ton of money, and I think most of it has to got to be going into the technology. Contrast to the technology and development restricted LMP2 and you can see which is more affordable simply from the grid size.
It's certainly a lot, but even that figure would probably only rate 7th or 8th in budget size in F1. And Toyota have gotten away with spending eight figures per year during their stay, and they're just as successful (outside of Le Mans). And that budget actually comes from R&D, since Toyota's LMP1 stuff is actually road-relevant. And in FE, teams are worried about their budgets rising from what's currently around 20m euros for the big teams. Again, more relevant than F1, and without all of the aero wars you mentioned.

Liberty bought a big bag of crap. What's going to happen is the teams will eventually revolt, and maybe even try to run their own breakaway series. They have done it before. The difference this time is Liberty does not have the overbearing authority that the FIA does. In the past the FIA could ban anyone from racing anywhere in the world for any reason they wanted. When the teams broke away in 1982, the FIA issued a bunch of threats that they could back up and the teams quickly fell back into line after running a solitary break away race. Liberty does not have that power, and if the teams want to break away they can do it and Liberty will be left with squat.

Yeah, any time Ferrari start causing a stir it isn't good. As much as Bernie sucked in a lot of ways, he was respected and feared as well, and found a way to resolve things just about all the time. Liberty doesn't share those characteristics yet, and I'm not sure they will. F1 is far and away the most political series out there; almost anyone would be ill-equipped to come in and start dealing with this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom