Andy Kirby in fatal accident

H

HardScrabble

This is from the BGNRacing site. Cannot find any other mention.

"TV stations in the Nashville area are reporting this morning that Andy Kirby was killed last night in a motorcycle accident. He apparently wrecked at 11:30 pm last night in Robertson County. It was stated that he hit something on his motorbike and it threw him over 30 feet into a tree. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family."

Andy Kirby has driven 12 BGN events this year with one top ten finish. Listed as the driver of the #49 Rent-A Wreck Ford owned by Jay Robinson racing. Wish I knew more, ...

Thats Racing is now reporting that as well so unfortantly it seems to be true.

BGN driver Andy Kirby killed in motorcycle accident
By JIM UTTER
ThatsRacin.com Writer

NASCAR Grand National series driver Andy Kirby was killed late Thursday night in a motorcycle accident near his home in White House, Tenn., Tennessee Highway Patrol officials said Friday.
According to the incident report, Kirby was traveling westbound on Union Hill Road in Robertson County, Tenn., at a high rate of speed, lost control, slid off the road and hit a tree. The motorcycle slid 174 feet on its right side before leaving the highway and another 42 feet to the tree, the report said.

Kirby, 40, was thrown from his motorcycle. He was wearing a helmet but it was not U.S. Department of Transportation approved, the report said.

Kirby was a three-time track champion at Nashville (Tenn.) Speedway and had made 12 starts in the Grand National series this season. His best series finish was sixth in April of this season at Talladega, Ala.

Kirby spent eight years in the Winston Racing Series at Nashville and won the Winston Racing Series championship in 1997.

Survivors are his wife, Dori, and three children.
:headshake

I have mixed feelings on this:

First my thoughts and condolences go out to his family.

I'll just leave it at that.

May he Rest In Peace

As Vince Gill wrote and sang for his brother

"Go Rest High Upon That Mountain"

Brewco Motorsports, which fields the No. 27 and No. 37 entries in the Busch Series has provided decals for the 43-car field to run in Kirby's remembrance during Saturday night's Charter Pipeline 250 at Gateway International Raceway. Kirby attempted some races for Brewco Motorsports in 2000. Members of the Busch Series Ladies Association will distribute the decals to the teams.

In addition, the Busch Series Ladies Association will distribute stickers for competitors to wear during Saturday's event. The stickers will simply read, "In Loving Memory", honoring both Kirby and Barry Caldwell, a Busch Series crewmember who lost a battle to cancer last week. The Decal Source provided the stickers.

The Busch Series Ladies Association, founded in 1996, is a non-profit organization that helps injured drivers and crewmembers in the Busch Series family. In addition, the BSLA works to promote other charitable works.

It's just a real shame. He was one of those drivers that kept trying to move their way up, like Blaise Alexander, but just never seemed to get a foothold in an upper series. His 28 busch starts misrepresent how long he's beein in the Busch series. He's had limited runs in the series going back to the #28 Williams Travel Center car, if anyone remembers that. It's funny b/c I just found his car at the flea market and had picked it up. More recently he's been doing well in Arca and doing some races with the #49 "rent-a-wreck" team. It's a shame, but my condolences go to his family.

Back
Top Bottom