Another Botched National Anthem at the Super Bowl

Benevolent One

Team Owner
I just saw the video of the National Anthem. Not bad enough that she felt the need to add about five syllables to every one the song calls for but she screwed up the words. She left an entire line out of it (O'er the ramparts we watched) and just decided that "what so proudly we watched" just kind of made up for it. It really bugs me when someone is given the honor of being asked to perform the National Anthem and they just butcher it. NEWS FLASH, it's not really about you, it's about the song and what it represents to millions of americans, many of whom have fought and died for their country. I'm not going to pretend it was just purely offensive, like Rosanne's warbly version at a baseball game where she culminated the song with grabbing her crotch and spitting. I wasn't offended by it, I was just disappointed yet again by another celebrity not showing the song, and us listening, the respect it, and we deserve.

Don't they rehearse?? Who over 18 years old doesn't know the words to our National Anthem, especially a supposedly professional singer??

While on the subject, WTF was that half time show about?? I wasn't there but I find it difficult to believe the screaming etc came from those who could afford superbowl tickets. Teens today can?

Don't they rehearse?? Who over 18 years old doesn't know the words to our National Anthem, especially a supposedly professional singer??

While on the subject, WTF was that half time show about?? I wasn't there but I find it difficult to believe the screaming etc came from those who could afford superbowl tickets. Teens today can?

The noise was piped in over the dubs of the lipsinking. All that noise is pre-recorded in the stadium usually the day before, then added into the "performance" and I use that term loosely. None of that was actually live singing, at least that is what some experts told me yesterday who have been to the Superbowl before. That was a poor excuse for entertainment yesterday.

I saw that she actually sang the song at an NBA game when she was a pre-teen and did it right. Some times you just screw up, but you gotta admit it and take the panning.

This is how it's supposed to be done...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJgWT8NMPJs
I really thought this is what you linked... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupsPg5H6aE&feature=related

Over the years, there have been many people who have given their own version of our national anthem, but I don't recall anyone messing up the words.

Some very notable versions, and feel free to add any that you can think of.
First, there was Jose Feliciano who's version really rankled many fans. Then there was Marvin Gaye who brought the crowd almost to tears with his version. Not that it was played at a sporting even, but Jimi Hendrix gave us his version and of course, who can forget Roseann Barr and her crotch grabbing job. I've seen the anthem sung by small kids to old farts and no matter who did it or how they did it, when I was present, I had my hand over my heart and sang the words silently.

Few years back at Dover a state trooper sang the anthem. He was great, what a voice! IIRC He got a standing O

I was kind of hoping someone would mention Marvin Gaye's rendition. At first, I didn't like what he was doing to the song, but about 30 seconds into it I thought it was awesome. I don't know if it was the best I've ever heard, but it was pretty incredible.

I was kind of hoping someone would mention Marvin Gaye's rendition. At first, I didn't like what he was doing to the song, but about 30 seconds into it I thought it was awesome. I don't know if it was the best I've ever heard, but it was pretty incredible.
He's rendition got many kudos and I was one of them who sang his praise. But it was funny that only a few years prior, Jose Feliciano was panned for his rendition at the World Series. I have an explanation, but it's probably not PC so I'll keep it to myself.

Back
Top Bottom