another NHRA Driver

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
this is getting rediculous

http://www.competitionplus.com/inde...s/14874-tad-racer-mark-nivers-fatally-injured

What shut-down area? It's a ramp.

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...1389,-122.153023&spn=0.0028,0.008916&t=h&z=18

http://www.seattlepi.com/motorsports/423206_kent11.html

ESPN reported that the parachutes ripped off the dragster immediately after Niver crossed the finish line. When the dragster hit the catch netting, it buckled the chassis back into the driver ****pit.

It was broadcast live on espn3.com, a guy on another forum said the nose of the dragster was on top of the roll cage, they had to cut the nose off to cut the roll cage to get him out.

Wild deal.The wreck didn't look that bad on tv.At least he went doing what he loved.

Ridiculous.:mad:

I wonder what knee-jerk reaction NHRA will have to this. Three deaths this year, sad to see what's happening to this great sport.

They need to take a serious look at these parachutes.They been losing a bunch of them this year.

Dad says that all classes will be @ 1000ft next race. The pro stockers whined about no prep after 1000, easy fix, only run 1000. Alchohol cars have been having safety problems, easy fix, only 1000 foot.

Easy fix isn't always the popular or best fix. NHRA is just to ignorant to fix the underlying problems. "You can't fix stupid"

Dad says that all classes will be @ 1000ft next race. The pro stockers whined about no prep after 1000, easy fix, only run 1000. Alchohol cars have been having safety problems, easy fix, only 1000 foot.

Easy fix isn't always the popular or best fix. NHRA is just to ignorant to fix the underlying problems. "You can't fix stupid"

Knee jerk reaction. What happens when someone dies at 1,000'? We cut the races to 500'? 200'? First one off the Christmas Tree wins, no actual race?

Firebird, Englishtown (again) and now Seattle. Ugh.

I've always been afraid that something would happen at Seattle though. Their shutdown area is an increase in elevation -- no brakes or 'chutes, that causes the car to completely take off. Like Mag said, it's a ramp.

i don't understand what's wrong with the nhra. they've got a problem stopping the cars after their runs. fix the damn problem. longer runoff area, gravel pit (or whatever), nets, parachutes, etc.... the problem stares them in the face every week. maybe they should hire someone from outside the nhra to tell them what to do. <g>

i don't understand what's wrong with the nhra. they've got a problem stopping the cars after their runs. fix the damn problem. longer runoff area, gravel pit (or whatever), nets, parachutes, etc.... the problem stares them in the face every week. maybe they should hire someone from outside the nhra to tell them what to do. <g>

John Force only has so much money. :D

But yes, they obviously are being ignorant. Stupid is one thing, ignorant AND stupid is....obsurd. Graham light sure is dim.

The FIA sure has car safety figured out.... When was the last time we saw an FIA-spec track come apart, be ill-prepared, or have safety systems fail? What about FIA-spec cars having safety systems malfunction?

FYI, they say that Niver's parachutes came off because the pins that attach them to the chassis broke. The brakes failed for unknown reason.

FYI, NHRA has spec'd immediately, all alchohol cars to have carbon fiber brakes. FC have all 4 carbon, TAD only rears carbon.

It's such a shame that this could have been completely avoided if NHRA and the tracks just woke up. Make the runoff areas longer, sand/dirt doesn't cost that much more money and it would prevent stuff like this from happening.

R.I.P. at least he didn't suffer

Back
Top Bottom