Anybody been to Richmond for a Winston Cup Race?

4xchampncountin

My brother-in-law says it a great place to watch a race. I just called the raceway and they said a few tickets will be available for one day in March. They are $75-80/each. Not bad at all really. I've always enjoyed watching the Richmond night race on tv. It seems like a pretty good plan. Anybody here ever been?

I've been to Richmond quite a few times - always enjoyed it. I've sat in turns 1, 2, 3 and the backstretch. Only thing is, with the haulers in the middle of the track you need to get up in the stands pretty high. If all else fails you can get a cheap ticket in the first few rows and then just stand at the very top of the bleachers.

Parking is free in the grass lots outside the back stretch, although getting out of there can take two or three hours. Lots of partying back there too.

4xer, if your gonna buy tickets over the phone, be ready for a headache. They don't have very many ticket agents and last year, I had to keep dialing for a hour to get through and then waited another hour for a ticket agent. Those tickets go fast because it's a great little track to see a race.

The last time I covered Richmond was the last race before they expanded the track to it's present size.

Went to the fall race last year. Sat on the front stretch for the BGN race, and just at the exit of turn 2 for the WC race. Both place offered a fine view of the track.

Richmond was a blast.

I go to both Busch races every year with some guys I work with. We get there about 9:00am and set up camp. We usually park near the big pavillion in front of the track. We set up camp and play horseshoes, bbq, and our coolers. We go in and watch testing for both series and qualifying. And as long as you aren't sitting in the first 15-20 rows, you have a good view of the track.

We're renting an RV again this year, so anyone who shows up, come on over and hang out for some burgers, beer, h'shoes, and poker!

:beerchug:

Just don't laugh at the young Lady when she asks if you want a "Polish" sausage or 'EYE"_talian sausage. I thought it was cute, but she thought I was being a big smart arse dufus...oh well.

Been doing season tickets since '96 , turn 2 exit. Usually do the BGN in fall and the Trucks in spring. Camp if you can, traffic is murder in and out. If going to WC and you leave late, Henricos finest do tend to close down roads, did it to Meadowbridge Road last spring.

Usually park behind backstretch or satellite parking and ride the tram. In the past, RIR has opened track gates early, but last fall delayed opening track gates due to security concerns (aka 911).Whether they do that this year remains to be seen. Camping: if you want to stay a week, do Azalea gardens. Any where else you can set up on the fly, know backstretch parking and satellite have campers there..Forget about asking for RIR's own turn 4 camping...booked for ever, unless your doing an IRL race.

If you do WC, make a day of it, get there early, and be prepared to go late.. If it rains....bring something dry, we loaned out 2-3 tarps to nearby tailgaters in last Springs deluge. Bringing cooler depends on what gate you use and how determined the security person is...crap shoot. Scanners......if you sit under RIR press box by S/F line, TV/Radio bleeds very badly into your signals...very badly.

And if RIR bugs you to much, go to Martinsville, traffics better, better sight lines from Gstands, tickets are easy to get and racing is just as good:) :) See ya all at Rockingham!!!!

Originally posted by MikeSfromVA

And if RIR bugs you to much, go to Martinsville, traffics better, better sight lines from Gstands, tickets are easy to get and racing is just as good:) :)   See ya all at Rockingham!!!!
Been to Martinsville the last two fall races. Looking for a change. Nothing at all wrong with Martinsville, just wanting to try something new. :)

And thanks for all the valuable info. If I can go, these details will certainly make the trip much more enjoyable. I planned on camping overnight since it is a night race. Not much point in fighting traffic just to drive all night anyway. Get up have a nice camp breakfast and head out at my leasure. Sounds like a plan to me.:)

Been holding same seats at Martinsville since 97, spring and fall, kinda like going to Martysville a little more than RIR. RIR can be a little too big, Martinsville seems a more relaxed atmosphere. (Besides, the Mods used to race there also!!!!)

Know what you mean about sumthin different, thats why I haul off to Rockingham, Darlington, and Charlotte for at least 1 race. Just sumthin different ( and their close enuff not to miss any work!!!)

Back
Top Bottom