Anybody good at fixing Fords?

fury

Internet god with an inferiority complex
Staff member
I have lost a pulley (big picture, 2 MB ) and need to replace what I believe is the harmonic balancer (bottom center - also a big picture).

It is a 1994 Thunderbird LX 4.6L V8

So far, I have put the following on my shopping list (my local Autozone has them in stock):

1. Duralast Idler Pulley - $18
2. Dayco Serpentine Belt - $34
3. Dorman Harmonic Balancer - $59

Can anyone give me an idea of what tools I'll need to replace them? I've been Googling since the car broke down on Friday evening, but I can't get a concrete answer. One guide tells me I'll need a floor jack and to get underneath the car, another guide doesn't. One thing I'm pretty sure of is I will need some special puller/installer tool, but other than that, will I be able to do this even knowing I'm pretty much a n00b at fixing cars? (if this were a computer, though, I could do it in my sleep)

I copied this out of All Data for you it's pretty basic, I used the front seal replacement because All Data dosent show replaceing only the balancer. Yes you will need a balancer puller and installer, some parts stores rent. Please use a good jack AND jackstands don't want anyone getting hurt.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
  2. Release belt tensioner and remove serpentine drive belt.
  3. Raise and support vehicle, then remove crankshaft damper attaching bolt and washer.
  4. Using crankshaft damper puller T58P-6316-D or equivalent, remove crankshaft damper.
  5. Using front cover seal removal tool T74P-6700-A or equivalent, remove front cover seal.
  6. Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:
    1. Install front cover seal using replacement tool T88T-6701-A1, A2 or equivalent.
    2. Apply silicone gasket and sealant E3AZ-19562-A or equivalent in damper keyway. Ensure crankshaftkey and keyway are aligned, using Crankshaft Damper Replacer T74P-6316-B or equivalent, install crankshaft.
    3. Tighten damper retaining bolt to 114-121 ft lb .

Thanks!

I'm less and less confident of my ability to do this...for the money it'd take to buy or rent all the tools I'll need to do it (safely), it may actually be cheaper to have it done by someone else. If only there was an eBay/craigslist type site for seeking specific repairs. I hate calling around every shop in town asking for a rough estimate only to be told something like "give us $100 and we'll take a look at it and give you an estimate"

All Data is the cat's meow! :) Replace the front seal too. I only buy windshield washer fluid at Autozone. 3 fuel pumps in a GMC Jimmy before I said enough and bought one at NAPA [[$125 more]. Front hub in my Buick lasted a month past warranty. New/rebuilt alternator that didn't alternate. I admit AZ prices are attractice but I no longer need practice changing the same part over and over.

disclaimer: Not a Andy rant, just some of my AZ experiences over the years.

The puller is just a bolt-grip puller and you really don't need the installer, you can use the harmonic balancer bolt and an impact to press the balancer back into place. Just remember to use some anti-seize on the balancer bolt threads first.

and dont use an AZ tensioner, they're known for bad bearings. Like AAT said, Napa is where it's at.

Like BF said, all we do for the racecar, is use a steering wheel puller to get the balancer off, and impact the crank bolt to get it on (kinda). We actually have a 1/2" thick piece of aluminum and a long bolt that fits the crank, so that it pulls the balancer on square.

I have lost a pulley (big picture, 2 MB ) and need to replace what I believe is the harmonic balancer (bottom center - also a big picture).

It is a 1994 Thunderbird LX 4.6L V8

So far, I have put the following on my shopping list (my local Autozone has them in stock):

1. Duralast Idler Pulley - $18
2. Dayco Serpentine Belt - $34
3. Dorman Harmonic Balancer - $59

Can anyone give me an idea of what tools I'll need to replace them? I've been Googling since the car broke down on Friday evening, but I can't get a concrete answer. One guide tells me I'll need a floor jack and to get underneath the car, another guide doesn't. One thing I'm pretty sure of is I will need some special puller/installer tool, but other than that, will I be able to do this even knowing I'm pretty much a n00b at fixing cars? (if this were a computer, though, I could do it in my sleep)

Post your questions over here.
http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50
Someone over there should be able to tell you how to fix it and where the best place to find parts.

Thanks!

I'm less and less confident of my ability to do this...for the money it'd take to buy or rent all the tools I'll need to do it (safely), it may actually be cheaper to have it done by someone else. If only there was an eBay/craigslist type site for seeking specific repairs. I hate calling around every shop in town asking for a rough estimate only to be told something like "give us $100 and we'll take a look at it and give you an estimate"

All Data time on replacing the front crank seal is 1.5 hr, you have to remove the serpentine belt and balancer to do the job so if they say that will be an extra cost go somewhere else. Same thing with the idler pulley it's only one bolt and the belts already off should be no extra charge.

If you decide to do it yourself you will need the puller to get the old balancer off their an interferance fit. As far as the installer....many a balancer has been started on the snout then driven on with a block of wood and a hammer till there's enough threads on the balancer bolt to pull it the rest of the way on, use a good lube on the balancer and bolt.

Don't know if anybody said it or not but Auto Zone rents lots of special tools

Back
Top Bottom