Anyone know what could cause a cylinder 6 misfire...

Do u have a code
code would indicate which cylinder

Several other things could cause problem
without code u may get lucky maybe not

Ah Grasshopper, I feel your pain. 98 Bonneville w/ 3800 series II
#5 Misfire, changed plugs, wires, swapped coils and injector. Same-o same-o
A cheapy code reader and a 6 grand Snap On reader both say the same, misfire #5
Hooked it up to a old fashion Sunnen machine, the one with the o-silly-scope. Everything is firing perfect. Dealer did some sort of diagnostic test on the computer, checked out fine. Still throws a code after being cleared. Been dealing with this for almost 6 years. Car runs perfectly.

My wife yaps about wanting a new car but she's about worn out her welcome at dealers. Comes home muttering about cheapazz POS they're trying to sell. I'd do the gas,match,call the insurance company but it only has liability coverage:rolleyes: I'll deal with my wife until it finally dies,whenever that happens, and then she'll be forced into a new car

Because it's Maryland emissions, the work has to be done by a Maryland State emissions facility. I was going to have the code cleared but it's not enough, I have to bring documentation to the MVA showing what work was done.

Take it to a different inspection station with the code cleared.

Can't do it like that, at least here you can't. Computer tells the emission machine the last time codes were cleared. You need to put at least 75-80 miles on otherwise the machine points at you and laughs,,BTDT.:p
You can get a waiver here, it's up to $750 now, if you spend $750 the state says okey-dokey and you get "passed".
Or you can put another GM V-6 that passes on the machine plugging in the VIN of the one that doesn't....you didn't hear that from me.....:rolleyes:
Two things about the testing here, RI bought the system Calf threw out because of problems. We have no industry here, any bad stuff our cars produce get blown offshore, let the French worry about it..;)

Just as a quickie diagnosis a missfire under load ( car in gear moving down the road ) is usually related to the secondary ignition system. Plugs,wires,coils. A missfire at idle or cruise state ( engine not under load ) is usually fuel injectors, vacumn leaks, broken valve springs etc.
On your Buick if you have access to a good scanner that plots and reads data ( not just a code reader ) their will be a data stream for cylinder missfire both history and current along with a snapshot feature. That can be very helpful in diagnosing not only which cylinder is missfireing but under what circumstances it missfires.
Let me know if I can help.

Can't do it like that, at least here you can't. Computer tells the emission machine the last time codes were cleared. You need to put at least 75-80 miles on otherwise the machine points at you and laughs,,BTDT.:p
You can get a waiver here, it's up to $750 now, if you spend $750 the state says okey-dokey and you get "passed".
Or you can put another GM V-6 that passes on the machine plugging in the VIN of the one that doesn't....you didn't hear that from me.....:rolleyes:
Two things about the testing here, RI bought the system Calf threw out because of problems. We have no industry here, any bad stuff our cars produce get blown offshore, let the French worry about it..;)
Must be different system from tx uses. I can clear codes, pass inspection, codes come back 3 miles later.

Like everything else each state has to mandate some little thing so that some elected official can take credit for it come election time. So instead of one system that every state uses for emission testing there's different systems, all doing the same function but in a slightly different way and of course at a higher cost then what a universal system would.

Back
Top Bottom