Anyone like aged cheese? LOL

Interesting how times change. When I was a teenager, I delivered the Newark Evening News. Saturday was collection day, 36 cents for daily delivery, 54 cents for daily and Sunday delivery. Saturday was collection day and after I finished my route and collecting, I took the money collected to one of the local grocery stores in town and placed the change on the wooden block that held the cheese wheel to count it and break it into piles, separating pennies, nickels, etc.. The store owner used the change as change and converted it to bills so it worked out well for both sides.
I don't recall anyone ever got sick from all that "dirty" money and hands not clad in plastic or latex gloves dragging all over the cheese cutting table. It was Saturday evening and all the farmers came to town for weekly shopping and gossip, and more often than not, the store owner would ask us to step aside while he cut a slice of cheese off the wheel.

Not so sure the "good old days" are what they are cracked up to be but could anyone imagine that taking place in todays world?

Back
Top Bottom