Anyone watching the Barrett-Jackson auction?

TexasRaceLady

Plank Owner
Contributor
A number of Austin Bantams crossed the block, one little yellow truck sold for some big money. I'd never seen or heard of these cute little vehicles.
A friend of mine remembered a little ditty about the Austin
"There once was a man from Boston,
Who traded his Ford for an Austin.
He had room for his ass and a gallon of gas,
But his balls hung out and he lost 'em."

This friend of mine is 88 years old. We both just howled when he dredged that up out of his memory banks.

Saturday night, Dale Jr. has 2 cars coming up on the block.
One is a race car, but the other is his 1970 Chevelle.

I went with my brother to a auction,some people take it personal and refuse to be outbid.It was a state auction where surplus vehicles were being sold.They were used Chevy 4x4 short bed trucks going for 10,000 and up.They looked rough,we were thinking maybe 4 or 5 thousand for one.

Love Barrett Jackson.

The high prices for muscle cars from the 1960s and 1970s is looney. These cars were cool back in the day, but not THAT cool. I know, as I had one, LOL. It is 60-something guys who are comfortable financially, living out their nostalgia. And the guys that don't have the money to do that... well, they come here and complain about how everything was better back then.

I watch Mecum and Barrett-Jackson. The Mecum crew seems to have more fun. Steve Magnante at Barrett-Jackson has an encyclopedic knowledge of VIN numbers and general car info. I watch these car auctions a lot and if I could afford every thing I want I'd rival Jay Leno's garage. Some day I hope to get a reasonably priced classic car.

To me it seems like the cars are a lot cheaper on meecum. Anyone else think that?
I think they have different clientele. Most of the Barrett-Jackson cars are no reserve (except some really high end cars). Most of the Mecum cars have a reserve and a "Bid Goes On" service to help buyers/sellers get together after the hammer. Mecum seems to have bigger variety of cars (which I really like). Barrett-Jackson presents more charity cars (it is like they auction tax deductions too).

BJ, the TV show has done more to bring classic car awareness to the public and to destroy the actual hobby than anything else in history. Thanks to them, people demand premium prices for parts cars. Those cars then go unsalvaged and irreplaceable parts are lost to rust while Joe Couchpotato goes on thinking he's sitting on a gold mine.

BJ, the TV show has done more to bring classic car awareness to the public and to destroy the actual hobby than anything else in history. Thanks to them, people demand premium prices for parts cars. Those cars then go unsalvaged and irreplaceable parts are lost to rust while Joe Couchpotato goes on thinking he's sitting on a gold mine.
So true on so many levels.

I like listening to Mike Joy during the B-J auction. He has a vast knowledge of cars. I thought he might be getting too deep when he discussed the crest in the Cadillac logo but then I realized I enjoyed discovering that bit of trivia.

I guess barrett jackson has changed since I watched it owe a couple years ago. I didn't see anything sell for less than 100k. I think I like meecum better alot more realistic cars on there.

I guess barrett jackson has changed since I watched it owe a couple years ago. I didn't see anything sell for less than 100k. I think I like meecum better alot more realistic cars on there.
Lots of reasonably priced cars sold earlier in the week.

I am really surprised at what a lot of the cars are selling for..... I realize there are million dollar plus cars there.... but... a helluva' lot of cars are going across the block that just had to have cost 70 plus thousand dollars to build ..... selling for 30 or 40 thousand dollars.... even 30 thousand dollars is a lot of money to me.... but... in relation to folks paying 70 grand for a new pickup..... it's like chump change....

Yeah...... those are the high dollar day...... but...... just saw a '65 Mustang with a 289 .. 2 bbl. .... 3 speed stick sell for 75 K...... I thought it was overpriced at 20....... :eek:
What color was it? My ex wife had one back in 71 it was a bucket of rust. We4 traded even for a VW Karmann Ghia.

What color was it? My ex wife had one back in 71 it was a bucket of rust. We4 traded even for a VW Karmann Ghia.
Don't recall now.... sorry.... my first car was a '66 Mustang GT..... 271 horse. 4 speed. notchback... Pony interior.... rally pak..... excellent car... had a lot of fun in that car.....

Here is some links to some you tube videos that some of you might be interested in seeing when the Snake had his funny car at Barrett Jackson.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom