Apple confirms it slows old iPhones down

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
Reddit users have noticed that Apple appears to be slowing down old iPhones that have low-capacity batteries. While many iPhone users have experienced perceived slowdowns due to iOS updates over the years, it appears that there’s now proof Apple is throttling processor speeds when a battery capacity deteriorates over time.

Geekbench developer John Poole has mapped out performance for the iPhone 6S and iPhone 7 over time, and has come to the conclusion that Apple’s iOS 10.2.1 and 11.2.0 updates introduce this throttling for different devices. iOS 10.2.1 is particularly relevant, as this update was designed to reduce random shutdown issues for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S. Apple’s fix appears to be throttling the CPU to prevent the phone from randomly shutting down. Geekbench reports that iOS 11.2.0 introduces similar throttling for iPhone 7 units with older batteries.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/20/16800058/apple-iphone-slow-fix-battery-life-capacity

Unbelievable what these phones cost. In the late 60's early 70's I drove a lot of miles in cars that didn't cost half as much.

True --- but isn't that cheaper than a new phone?
I don't own one, so I don't really care. LOL
Hellz yeah it's cheaper.

We just upgraded our phones this week. My son purchased an iPhone X. The money is coming out of his pocket, and if he's okay with paying it, I'm okay with it. I know it was over $1000.

My wife got a Google Pixel 2 while my daughter and I each got a Google Pixel 2 XL. The Google Pixel 2's were each $300 off right now.

In any event, these phones are so overpriced it's crazy. Our monthly cell phone bill is outrageous. Our only option for our area is Verizon. They are the only service that provides coverage in our location.

I have a 6s and I haven't noticed any considerable slowdown. Not to say it's not happening though.

Back
Top Bottom