As stars depart, NASCAR navigates a future of change

Well, there you go...if Bromberg says it, it must be so.

I thought it was beyond strange that the author believed that going from the Sprint Cup to the Monster Cup was almost insurmountable all because of name. Brian France has some head scratchers like “Attendance has been fine.” “The audience isn’t going away at all. It’s sliding to different places, consuming in different ways." France touted the Chase format for producing “better racing” in the Xfinity and Truck Series relative to before it was implemented.

NASCAR is in a great position. There are more tweets than ever about NASCAR.

This seems a sketchy way to measure anything. I'm not sure it's actually true vs. 2014 and 2015, because I don't subscribe to a Twitter analytics service. But there are more tweets about everything than there were before.

The article brings up several well known challenges facing NASCAR. The delay in naming a title sponsor is not encouraging. However, the departure of Sprint is not a major blow. Sprint was never a good fit and is not particularly skilled at marketing themselves, let alone a sport they fell into sponsoring accidentally. They have been a lame duck sponsor for years now, and whichever company signs up to replace them will be more energized to promote NASCAR.

This seems a sketchy way to measure anything. I'm not sure it's actually true vs. 2014 and 2015, because I don't subscribe to a Twitter analytics service. But there are more tweets about everything than there were before.

The article brings up several well known challenges facing NASCAR. The delay in naming a title sponsor is not encouraging. However, the departure of Sprint is not a major blow. Sprint was never a good fit and is not particularly skilled at marketing themselves, let alone a sport they fell into sponsoring accidentally. They have been a lame duck sponsor for years now, and whichever company signs up to replace them will be more energized to promote NASCAR.
I dropped my sarcasm tag. :sarcasm:

It's true, but you're totally right. I imagine every sport is seeing social media growth as social media itself continues to expand. I'm not sure this is really anything that impressive and just comes off as spin doctor material in a way. More people whine on Twitter and Facebook about debris cautions, the Chase, and cheatin' Toyoders than ever before...great, I guess?

If there were a way to bridge the core fan base with gaining buzz with a potential new audience, social media is one area working well for the racing league. The NASCAR Facebook and Twitter accounts have generated over 3.8 billion impressions, year-to-date. NASCAR has seen 236 million total engagements which represents a massive 89% increase year over year, and on Sprint Cup Series race days, the NASCAR Facebook page reaches an average of 12 million users, while the NASCAR twitter handle reaches an average of 2 million users.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr...nascar-sees-digital-as-future/2/#6538f62b325f

Social media is great n all for spreading a message but it does next to nothing in driving (pun intended) ticket & merch sales to unique fans.

That is soley reliant on the ontrack product & racing drama.

They have been a lame duck sponsor for years now, and whichever company signs up to replace them will be more energized to promote NASCAR.

I agree and Monster could be that sponsor however if you have watched the Coke Cola commercials lately they are a total bust. I can believe it takes all that time to swallow a mouthful of Coke. I can down a full can of Pepsi in a couple of seconds and maybe faster if it had rum in it.
:D

I thought it was beyond strange that the author believed that going from the Sprint Cup to the Monster Cup was almost insurmountable all because of name. Brian France has some head scratchers like “Attendance has been fine.” “The audience isn’t going away at all. It’s sliding to different places, consuming in different ways." France touted the Chase format for producing “better racing” in the Xfinity and Truck Series relative to before it was implemented.
A good article overall, but picking on Monster as a name does seem very odd. And they aren't even the sponsor yet, so even more strange.

I actually think France is correct about Xfinity and Truck racing being better this year in their chase format than last year, which was marred by some very dreary points racing (non-racing actually) at the end. Sort of the opposite of the Cup series, which saw conservative points strategies being employed this year, after two years of hard racing spiced up by chase drama, fist fights, trained assassins at Martinsville, etc.

More importantly, here is yet another media outlet raising serious questions about the elimination-style chase format, both on sporting grounds and business grounds. After two years of near-unanimous media love for this format, in 2016 we have seen a number of mainstream articles and commentators raising these questions. To be sure, there are still plenty of very savvy, very smart people who support the elimination format on both sporting and business fronts... but the detractors are being seen, and that is a change from 2014 and 2015. Very interesting.

Social media is great n all for spreading a message but it does next to nothing in driving (pun intended) ticket & merch sales to unique fans.

That is soley reliant on the ontrack product & racing drama.
I think a big part of the attraction for a sponsor is the fact that its being talked about at all.. France is literally trying to sell a sport with declining numbers in almost every aspect when it comes to television and perhaps even track attendance.. But if he can show that its as popular as it is in social media thats a huge selling point for a company focused on taking NASCAR into the future.

Is this forum considered 'social media' ? If so , maybe he has a point . There has to be at least a hundred of us here . What does Monster energy taste like ,anyway ? I always assume it's like coke and coffee ?

Is this forum considered 'social media' ? If so , maybe he has a point . There has to be at least a hundred of us here . What does Monster energy taste like ,anyway ? I always assume it's like coke and coffee ?
You have to take into consideration the mix. Do you like Rye whiskey, Bourbon, Rum, Vodka or the attentions of a wanton women?

Consider the roll Social Media played in the election, and you have your answer .

Am I the only one that hasn't tried one ? The Monster drink not the wanton women .
Go to a Monster Supercross pit party and you can drink all of the free Monster your heart will handle...but, you have to bring an empty can to get in the pit party for free.:D

Absolutely I would consider this social media.. not on the same level as things like facebook and twitter of course but I don't know what else I would call it.

Btw monster kind of tastes like mountain dew with about an extra cup of sugar in it.

Am I the only one that hasn't tried one ? The Monster drink not the wanton women .
I've never had either of those, but I've tried Red Bull a few times. It tasted like carbonated Robitussin, and it didn't work. Mind you, that was over a decade ago. Not sure if it has changed at all since then. :idunno:

I've tried em both and they can both taste terrible. One consistently and the other depending on where you bought it.

Well done.

If this Monster thing happens, it seems that we really need an energy drink discussion thread. I only sometimes drink the sugar-free ones. Monster has some decent flavors, I like the Rockstar Hydration ones. I have no idea why Red Bull is popular, it can't be taste. None of them are actually any good for you, but you can do a lot worse.

Well done.

If this Monster thing happens, it seems that we really need an energy drink discussion thread. I only sometimes drink the sugar-free ones. Monster has some decent flavors, I like the Rockstar Hydration ones. I have no idea why Red Bull is popular, it can't be taste. None of them are actually any good for you, but you can do a lot worse.

Bought my grandson a monster energy t shirt once because I liked the colors . I also bought him a rockstar energy helmet because he liked the colors . Don't think he ever drank on either .

I've had an energy drink twice in my life. Once when they first came out and once when I had to drive all night. I didn't like them either time (nothing against the sponsorship though....I've never smoked and would give anything to have Winston back)

I love this stuff.....

18350.jpg

The Monster Rehabs are really good, and I used to drink Java Monster a lot years ago. Never liked the taste of standard Monster or the "+juice" ones though. I very rarely drink energy drinks anymore though since I stopped drinking soda and whatnot.

The most successful sports do not change. Has baseball, soccer or football changed much? Are they more popular then NASCAR? , yes

The most successful sports do not change. Has baseball, soccer or football changed much? Are they more popular then NASCAR? , yes

Baseball has changed (in similar ways to NASCAR):

- They introduced the League Championship Series in the 1969, after 61 years of sending teams to the World Series based solely on who had the best regular season record. (Sound familiar?)

- They added wild card teams and added an additional round to the playoffs in 1994.

- They added an ADDITIONAL wild card and a wild card game in 2012.

Further, the American League added the designated hitter in 1973, breaking the tradition that all 9 players on the field take a turn at the plate.

- They introduced the League Championship Series in the 1969, after 61 years of sending teams to the World Series based solely on who had the best regular season record. (Sound familiar?)

- They added wild card teams and added an additional round to the playoffs in 1994.

Further, the American League added the designated hitter in 1973, breaking the tradition that all 9 players on the field take a turn at the plate.

Baseball is also similar to NASCAR in that it has an old audience and the changes they made have not moved the needle.

But the thing is, these changes were over many years, NASCAR's changes have all happened in a relatively short timespan. Plus, most of baseball's changes actually made sense. Three of your four examples simply had to do with playoff expansion, which makes sense in a 1 vs. 1 sport as they should expand as the league expands. NASCAR on the other hand has changed more in the last 13 years than baseball has in the last 50, and their playoffs are expanding as their fields are contracting.

But the thing is, these changes were over many years, NASCAR's changes have all happened in a relatively short timespan. Plus, most of baseball's changes actually made sense. Three of your four examples simply had to do with playoff expansion, which makes sense in a 1 vs. 1 sport as they should expand as the league expands. NASCAR on the other hand has changed more in the last 13 years than baseball has in the last 50, and their playoffs are expanding as their fields are contracting.

I certainly don't agree with most of NASCAR's changes and as a personal matter would love to go back to how it was pre-Chase, but change does happen in all sports. We just have an incompetent buffoon making NASCAR's changes.

Back
Top Bottom