Asphalt Poll: Modifieds or Late Models

Modifieds or Late Models; Which do you prefer to watch? (Asphalt, no dirt)

• Modifieds

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Late Models

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Speedbowl14

Ryan Preece and short tracks
Simple question, tough answer. Well, for me its pretty simple. Northeasterners love their modifieds, and I am no exception. The modifieds have a balance of aggression and precision. You can bump, but you risk tearing up your stuff. With late models its more "bump and run" type racing (imo). Not saying there's none of that in the mods, but I feel its a lot more prevalent in full-bodied stock cars.

Remember, we're talking asphalts here.

I think it's a regional thing. Because the modifieds are bigger up north, they generally have the better drivers, fields, etc. Around here in the Southeast, it's pretty much all late models, so that's where the short track talent is (with the exception of the Bowman Gray guys who are most certainly the exception to your "risk tearing up your stuff" argument as well as anything sensible about racing).

When the Whelen Southern tour has come to my local track, I have always been amazed by the cars themselves, and prefer them to late models. But the racing is always better there with late models because there is a higher level of competition. In fact, there was a year or two there where the Limited Late Models put on the best race every weekend, but most of the people that were in the class at the time have moved up to Late Models (or to other tracks) since then. It was hard racing every week, but it was also clean and respectful, much like I imagine you see with modifieds in the north.

Back
Top Bottom