Athlon Sports Preview Magazine

Revman

Denny beat your favorite driver....again!
Here we go....

1. Larson
2. Truex Jr.
3. Kyle Busch
4. Harvick
5. Kez
6. Elliott
7. Johnson
8. Hamlin
9. Logano
10. Jones
11. Blaney
12. Suarez
13. Kurt Busch
14. Bowyer
15. Jamie McMurray
16. Danica's Old Boyfriend
17. Austin Dillon
18. Byron
19. Newman
20. Amirola
21. Bowman
22. Bayne
23. Kahne
24. Menard
25. Ty Dillon

Pretty close IMO.....Discuss

Anybody else surprised by the 6 ranking of Sheer Perfection?

Not really, considering how random everything is once you get to the final eight. Getting spun out out while leading with three laps to go can be the difference between going to Homestead for a chance to take it all, and finishing somewhere between fifth eighth. Anybody that tells you they can reliably predict where these guys are going to end up under this format is either crazy or a liar.

The year Auburn University won the NCAA football title, they were not even ranked in anybodys preseason poll. So, that kinda tells you what I think about the "experts" preseason picks.

Okay, I'll discuss. It's a meaningless set of guesses that no one will remember to check for accuracy or hold the guesser accountable for when the season is over.

And I didn't even need to use the back of the page.

The only thing he wants to "discuss" is Chase Elliott. That's why he made this thread; it's simply another one of his lame attempts to criticize this nonexistent narrative that Chase is so amazing and perfect or whatever.

Rev used to post some good comments from time to time, but over the last few months he's become nothing more than a troll with an extreme obsession.

The only thing he wants to "discuss" is Chase Elliott. That's why he made this thread; it's simply another one of his lame attempts to criticize this nonexistent narrative that Chase is so amazing and perfect or whatever.

Rev used to post some good comments from time to time, but over the last few months he's become nothing more than a troll with an extreme obsession.

You're wrong, but whatever go with it. My **** about Chase is the same **** I see here every day about my driver. It's banter. Nothing more. This thread was intended to be a legit conversation, and I believe that Chase is underrated in this publication. He will contend at Homestead IMO. I am flattered that you remember my comments. I don't remember any of yours. Thanks for the props. Save the trolling crap. It's not what I do, but if that's how you take it, don't bite for God's sake.

Okay, I'll discuss. It's a meaningless set of guesses that no one will remember to check for accuracy or hold the guesser accountable for when the season is over.

Larson should be the favorite....and he is. Far from a meaningless set of guesses IMO.

But as you know it isn't what you have done but what can you do.
I don't think JJ is as driven for #8 as he was for #7. (JMO)
I don't think Chad is going to leave his wife's bed to worry about the car like he did in the past.

All in all 6th could be JJ's final which isn't bad, it just means he doesn't make the final 4

Larson should be the favorite....and he is. Far from a meaningless set of guesses IMO.

I would agree that he is A favorite, I'm not ready to say THE favorite. I want to see how he handles real championship pressure down the stretch before I'm ready to anoint him the THE preseason favorite. The same goes for his team. As far as I'm concerned the favorites are the same four from last year until somebody proves he can hang with them all the way to Homestead. If the new Camaro turns out to be a real leap forward, then that certainly brings Larson, Johnson and Elliott closer into the picture, but Larson and Elliott need more experience in my opinion, and the 48 team has to show they are out of their funk.

Honestly, I have no clue what to expect this year.

Larson probably is the favorite, but I'm more curious to see how FRR continues its consistency up front or don the take a step back? I think Menard will be much better than expected this year as well.

Can anyone find their rankings prior to last season? Just for fun.

Possibly ranked too low here are Johnson and Kurt Busch. I would put Johnson at least 5th, and there is no way Jones and Suarez stand a better chance of making say the final 8 than Busch. Not saying it can't happen, but this is about probability. I would still take Newman's chances to sneak in over his teammate in the #3.

Byron in 18th is crazy, way into the top 10 for him. You don't get into a cup car for the very first time and outrun Larson and finish 18th for the season hail no. Byron lost a close one in Xfinity to Hamlin in a cheated up Yota, he can run with the cup drivers. Logano a bit higher. Logano has finished in the single digits 4 out of the last 5 years.

Here we go....

1. Larson
2. Truex Jr.
3. Kyle Busch
4. Harvick
5. Kez
6. Elliott
7. Johnson
8. Hamlin
9. Logano
10. Jones
11. Blaney
12. Suarez
13. Kurt Busch
14. Bowyer
15. Jamie McMurray
16. Danica's Old Boyfriend
17. Austin Dillon
18. Byron
19. Newman
20. Amirola
21. Bowman
22. Bayne
23. Kahne
24. Menard
25. Ty Dillon

Pretty close IMO.....Discuss

Why would anyone put stock in to someone who probably couldnt change a tire says in these rankings?

Okay, if it's not meaningless, tell me what it means, other than the writer's first pick happens to match yours. Would the list still have meaning if Chase Elliott was first pick?

Why 'should' Larson be the favorite? What advantages does he have over the others in the top five? Enlighten me.

Can anyone find their rankings prior to last season? Just for fun.

Possibly ranked too low here are Johnson and Kurt Busch. I would put Johnson at least 5th, and there is no way Jones and Suarez stand a better chance of making say the final 8 than Busch. Not saying it can't happen, but this is about probability. I would still take Newman's chances to sneak in over his teammate in the #3.
A quick Googling reveals only links to buy the 2017 preview. Nothing showing its January predictions.

Put Larson behind the rest of the top 4 and swap Logano and Elliot after putting JJ ahead of them both and I think we're getting closer.

Yeahhhh ur kinda reaching there

Larson should be the favorite..
Uhhh.. no.

There's at least 4 or 5 drivers I would put ahead of Larson as a favorite for the championship any day.. and no none of them are Chase :D

Yeah I have to say that the margin between Truex and everyone else last year was so wide that's its crazy to call anyone else the favorite right now.

I gotta say I see it the same way for the same reasons you do.

You're wrong, but whatever go with it. My sh!t about Chase is the same sh!t I see here every day about my driver. It's banter. Nothing more. This thread was intended to be a legit conversation, and I believe that Chase is underrated in this publication. He will contend at Homestead IMO. I am flattered that you remember my comments. I don't remember any of yours. Thanks for the props. Save the trolling crap. It's not what I do, but if that's how you take it, don't bite for God's sake.

Fans seem to get mad at Kyle because they think he acts rude and everything is about him. Chase acts polite and the only time its all about him is when he is beatin himself up for not doing better. The Kyle bashers bash Kyle but you are bashing Chases fans by making it out like they think he walks on water. To do the same to Chase as what you think is done to Kyle you need to bash Chase for something he does or doesn't do.

Okay, if it's not meaningless, tell me what it means, other than the writer's first pick happens to match yours. Would the list still have meaning if Chase Elliott was first pick?

Why 'should' Larson be the favorite? What advantages does he have over the others in the top five? Enlighten me.

Publications like this stimulate conversation in the mainstream which hopefully brings fans to the sport. This thing is in grocery stores. Yeah, the thing would have meaning if Chase was the first pick. It would be consistent with what a lot of fans are talking about.

Larson as the top pick because he was brutally fast last year, and most importantly, as @aunty dive has pointed out, the infrastructure at CGR has been improved dramatically. If the new car lives up to the hype, you have at least one of the fastest drivers with quality people behind him, a great owner, and the equipment to be dominant.

Fans seem to get mad at Kyle because they think he acts rude and everything is about him. Chase acts polite and the only time its all about him is when he is beatin himself up for not doing better. The Kyle bashers bash Kyle but you are bashing Chases fans by making it out like they think he walks on water. To do the same to Chase as what you think is done to Kyle you need to bash Chase for something he does or doesn't do.

Huh?

Except Kyle is rude and everything is about him.. and Chase is very over hyped. Other than that I guess you're right but there's really not much else you said.

How did this become about Chase? I mean.. he's on the list?.. Too high on it if you ask me.. is that bashing him? No.

Poor @Revman tries to start an innocent thread and ppl r jumping on him for what he said in other threads.

I'm as much of Logano fan as he is a Toyota fan.. just ask ppl around here hope much love I got the first three years I was here.. does that mean all my comments are about Joey?

:lol2:

Go Joey!!

Last edited:
Except Kyle is rude and everything is about him.. and Chase is very over hyped. Other than that I guess you're right but there's really not much else you said.

How did this become about Chase? I mean.. he's on the list?.. Too high on it if you ask me.. is that bashing him? No.

Poor @Revman tries to start an innocent thread and ppl r jumping on him for what he said in other threads.

I'm as much of Logano fan as he is a Toyota fan.. just ask ppl around here hope much love I got the first three years I was here.. does that mean all my comments are about Joey?

:lol2:

Go Joey!!

How is Chase overrated? Guy is 22 lol he was just extremely competitive last season in the chase and is sure to nab a couple wins this year.

You’re right though, Kyle Busch is a dick and that’s the problem. Your “bad guys” throughout history have been pretty approachable off track, this guy seems like an ass 24/7. Still a hell of a driver I won’t deny that

Yeah I have to say that the margin between Truex and everyone else last year was so wide that's its crazy to call anyone else the favorite right now.
I think that is because the #78 right from the start understood the value of stage points.
It took the others quite a few races before it meant much and so he got quite a jump on them.
I think the others were still with the old school thing about "saving the car for later" which
cost them a lot of points.

Publications like this stimulate conversation in the mainstream which hopefully brings fans to the sport. This thing is in grocery stores. Yeah, the thing would have meaning if Chase was the first pick. It would be consistent with what a lot of fans are talking about.

Larson as the top pick because he was brutally fast last year, and most importantly, as @aunty dive has pointed out, the infrastructure at CGR has been improved dramatically. If the new car lives up to the hype, you have at least one of the fastest drivers with quality people behind him, a great owner, and the equipment to be dominant.
IMO Larson gambled a lot more and so was able to run faster. ( he is a fast/fearless driver)
But in the end the turtle passed the hare and so Larson needs to slow down and finish better.

Larson was the fastest Chevrolet. Thats it.

Brad and Joey were the most winning-est drivers one season and neither made the final four.
Larson was the fastest but never made the final four.
Pick your battles if you want to win the war.

And then the team fell apart during the last round of the Chase.

Just exactly what is the list in the original post; what is this a ranking of? Predicted season finish? Chances of making the Chase? Personal hygiene index?

Back
Top Bottom